The Submersive Pump in Deep Water Culture

I have 3 reservoirs going right now, 2 10 gallon tubs each using a petco 180gph pump, and a 5 gallon bucket using an RIO 180 (120gph).

I have 0 problems holding res temps steady in the 5 gallon and the only difference is the pump. The tubs I have to take daily action to keep the temps below 75.

I'm going to pick up another RIO 180 and drop it in one of the tubs and see if I can keep temps steady without daily maintenance .

Uhh... Well.. 180GPH is pretty big for 5gal... How many watts is that?

Also.. Just to note.. They're not 100% identical.. Take a good look at the garden.

Where are the air pumps for the res's located? In light? Up high sucking in hot air?

How close are they to the res? What colors are they? There's lots of factors that come into account.

Uhh... Well.. 180GPH is pretty big for 5gal... How many watts is that?

Also.. Just to note.. They're not 100% identical.. Take a good look at the garden.

Where are the air pumps for the res's located? In light? Up high sucking in hot air?

How close are they to the res? What colors are they? There's lots of factors that come into account.

The RIO 120gph is the 5 gallon.

Air pumps are located outside of the room (I drilled a hole in the wall to run the air tubes so the air pumps would stay as cool as possible) and about 1 foot off the ground. I also have a fan blowing on the pumps 24/7. For that reason, I don't think the air pump is contributing to the difference in heat.

Good thinking asking about the wattage, didn't even think to check. The RIO is 3.4w and the petco is 10.5w. More wattage == More heat.

I have 3 reservoirs going right now, 2 10 gallon tubs each using a petco 180gph pump, and a 5 gallon bucket using an RIO 180 (120gph).

I have 0 problems holding res temps steady in the 5 gallon and the only difference is the pump. The tubs I have to take daily action to keep the temps below 75.

I'm going to pick up another RIO 180 and drop it in one of the tubs and see if I can keep temps steady without daily maintenance .

So you feel the larger pump heats the water? I do too. I am convinced that smaller pumps might not last as long, maybe two to 4 grows, but they are cheaper to replace and stay cooler. Although I do have a very small 80gph pump on a ten gallon aquarium tank in our kitchen, and its been running
24/ for 4 years.

I have had two new members ask me today, about REP. (I gave them some and they did not know how to return it)

On the far left of the post page, Under your name and avatar, you will find a red or blue dot, a small balance scale and then a triangle with an ! in it.
For some reason, it won't let me copy and paste them to show you.
The Red or Blue dot lets you know if that member is on line, on the site.
The small triangle is to Report a Post to a Mod.
The small scales is where you click it, leave a comment, and then click it again to give REP.
It is proper ettiquite to return it when someone gives it to you.

Yea, it's from being up too high. I personally am a firm believer in sub-surface root zone flooding. My ladies love the shit out of it, and I'm running pumps the entire grow as it also oxygenates the water too. :)

I use the smaller pump from Stealth hydro that originally came with the set-up I bought. I also keep the pump in and running the entire grow. I do take out the feeder tubes after 4 weeks and I rinse out the filter every time I do a res change. I dont have any heat problems and it helps keep the water oxiginated and clean.

I use the smaller pump from Stealth hydro that originally came with the set-up I bought. I also keep the pump in and running the entire grow. I do take out the feeder tubes after 4 weeks and I rinse out the filter every time I do a res change. I dont have any heat problems and it helps keep the water oxiginated and clean.

I sure have been missing you, old friend. I asked about you on the BH Home Thread a few days ago. I hope you are well, and doing fine. God Bless you, HGH. We go way back.

I don't use the pump for the whole grow but with that said I didn't see a difference in temp with it in or out. I guess hot is hot and I have to cool my tank either way. I can't wait to here the results of your experiment scifi.

I sure have been missing you, old friend. I asked about you on the BH Home Thread a few days ago. I hope you are well, and doing fine. God Bless you, HGH. We go way back.

Ah, thanks, thats very kind of you. I'm good. I lurk here lots but haven't been growing so I havent been posting much.
After I posted that I leave the pump in the whole grow, I thought about it some. So, I pulled it 2 days ago and put in 2 more round airstones and another air pump so now I have 4 round airstones, 2 pumps and plenty of bubbles. Thanks again for the info.

Hey, I'm not THAT old. I always lurk but haven't been growing so I havent been posting much. After I posted that I always leave the pump in the whole grow, I thought about it some. So, I took out the pump 2 days ago but put in 2 more round airstones and another air pump so now I have 4 round airstones and plenty of bubbles.

Hairy, did you break the seals on the pump? I didn't see that the pump can open. I don't think mine is dirty but would love to check. I had no bag on it first grow, now I use a bag so not worried for the future. I would still love to check if for past issues.

First time poster and First time grower. I wanted to thank Roseman for his great post i've read the entire bubblephonics thread and it has so much information i rarely feel the need to ask any questions because its covered everything all ready. My one question is were is everyone getting the waterpump from for so cheap. I've checked petco (dont sell any water pumps) lowes (sell fountain water pumps but the 180 gph is about 45 bucks) home depot has a 40gph for 20 bucks and petsmart has a 155gph for about 40 bucks. How do you measure how many gph you need to move an hour i plan on growing 4 plants in a 10 gallon container and a 2 planets in a smaller 3 gallon container.

First time poster and First time grower. I wanted to thank Roseman for his great post i've read the entire bubblephonics thread and it has so much information i rarely feel the need to ask any questions because its covered everything all ready. My one question is were is everyone getting the waterpump from for so cheap. I've checked petco (dont sell any water pumps) lowes (sell fountain water pumps but the 180 gph is about 45 bucks) home depot has a 40gph for 20 bucks and petsmart has a 155gph for about 40 bucks. How do you measure how many gph you need to move an hour i plan on growing 4 plants in a 10 gallon container and a 2 planets in a smaller 3 gallon container.

SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Sunleaves DuraPumps H2O

DuraPump 160 GPH $14.99
DuraPump 245 GPH $23.99 at StealthHydro.com

I found 4 at Lowes for less than $24.95
Shop smartpond 100-155 GPH Submersible Fountain Pond Pump at Lowes.com

Amazon.com has many less than $24.00:

Sunterra 114516 Medium Fountain Pump, 130 GPH, Black
$16.90
Sunterra 120016 Large Fountain Pump, 200 GPH, Black
$21.30

And Welcome to 420, bro, glad you're here. Go by the INTRODUCE YOURSELF Form and introduce yourself.
Also check out the Deep Water Culture Home:

Yesterday I bought a 66 gph at harbor freight for $10. I plan on using it for my 10 gallon 4 pot system. Prolly work better in a 5 gallon bucket set-up, but I'm doin my very first grow on a tight budget. I bought all the peices to connect pump and make my manifold/irrigation hub for $8 at lowes(including tubing to the pots) right now it's a steady stream but the airbubbles will fix that.

Yesterday I bought a 66 gph at harbor freight for $10. I plan on using it for my 10 gallon 4 pot system. Prolly work better in a 5 gallon bucket set-up, but I'm doin my very first grow on a tight budget. I bought all the peices to connect pump and make my manifold/irrigation hub for $8 at lowes(including tubing to the pots) right now it's a steady stream but the airbubbles will fix that.

You're right on track, bro. I think we worry too much about gph and solid strream fo water and a trickle. It all works!

You're right on track, bro. I think we worry too much about gph and solid strream fo water and a trickle. It all works!

Thanx, glad you feel the same. I was kinda worried bout the low gph compared to what everyone else is running. Until I got it set up and saw it run. For the trickle you described this should be plenty.

Back
Top Bottom