Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

Re: Stealth Hydroponics Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

Hello I am a first time Deep Water Culture grower and I have a question. My plants are at about the 3 week stage maybe 2 inches tall and the leaves are curling up. I have read that if that is happening they are under feed but i just added a quarter nutes yesterday. Should I be worried? Any suggestions would be wonderful thank you.

if your ph is fine id add a plain gallon phd water curl up too much nute usually

Hello I am a first time Deep Water Culture grower and I have a question. My plants are at about the 3 week stage maybe 2 inches tall and the leaves are curling up. I have read that if that is happening they are under feed but i just added a quarter nutes yesterday. Should I be worried? Any suggestions would be wonderful thank you.

Can you upload a picture?

Hey guys, I could use some advice on my bubble grow...

ballz3.jpg

slim.jpg

Does this plant look like a male? It has a small cola with pistils on top but I don't know if all those balls are balls or future buds

day_-_35.jpg

This one has quite a few bud sites with a lot of leaves - should I trim up the leaves to expose the bud sites to direct light (CFL) or wait longer to do it?

goth.jpg

Can anyone venture a guess as to what breed this one is? Actually can anyone venture a guess as to what breed all three of these are? (My seeds came in a variety pack with no identifiers). They are all supposed to be feminized but w/ the hermie issue in fem'd seeds I'm trying to keep watch.
Thanks

"Does this plant look like a male? It has a small cola with pistils on top but I don't know if all those balls are balls or future buds"

YES

This one has quite a few bud sites with a lot of leaves - should I trim up the leaves to expose the bud sites to direct light (CFL) or wait longer to do it?

NO, well you can, but I never cut my leaves. They will get bigger and spread out.
reps to ya for the pics.

"Does this plant look like a male? It has a small cola with pistils on top but I don't know if all those balls are balls or future buds"

YES

NO, well you can, but I never cut my leaves. They will get bigger and spread out.
reps to ya for the pics.

If that plants a male I need to get it out of here. Now for the hard part - should I keep it for pollen and seeds (take it for a late night walk and plant it down by the creek somewhere) or transplant it into a soil pot in another room or should I kill it?

Did we catch it in time before it pollinated? (Day 35) - if I just lost all my fems I'm gonna be super pissed.

Should I try to sex change it?

Pulling it out and taking a closer look the "balls" are actually flower buds. Some are open and some are still closed (see pics).

Are you absolutely sure it's a male? I've never seen a male plant in person so I have no clue. The bud sites on the other plants appeared "overnight" - literally from nothing to what you see now in less than 72 hours. I'm worried if that plant is a male it may have pollinated my other plants causing the bud sites to form early.

Those "balls" that have opened into flowers were full of pollen.
Your little girls have already been impregnated.
There is no morning after pill for weed.
Congratulations on your seed babies.

High ganjaballz,

that plant in the top pic is definitely a male.

Quite a few of the male flowers are open, so pollen has been spilled.

How seedy the buds turn out depends on how much pollen got to them. If you've got a circulation fan going, you might have some pretty seedy buds.

You can still smoke it though, and if you allow the seeds to mature before you chop the females, you'll have a nice stash of seeds to grow from.

High ganjaballz,

that plant in the top pic is definitely a male.

Quite a few of the male flowers are open, so pollen has been spilled.

How seedy the buds turn out depends on how much pollen got to them. If you've got a circulation fan going, you might have some pretty seedy buds.

You can still smoke it though, and if you allow the seeds to mature before you chop the females, you'll have a nice stash of seeds to grow from.

It looks like a little pollen came out but the fan isn't circulating so much as blowing straight across the tub, front to back. The male plant was in the middle / back slot so what little pollen I can see ended up on the back of the grow tent. I spray the plants with seltzer water a few times a day so we'll see. I needed a supply of seeds anyway - I'm just pissed I paid so much for a "fem" seed of a premium breed that's not even a hermie - it's a definite male. (Reserva Privada Cole Train is the breed, btw). I cleaned the entire tent and tub, washed down the remaining fems, etc). The male plant wasn't taller than the others, also.

What's really tweaking me is that I asked some folks here a week ago about that plant when it only had a couple of pods which were still closed....

I'm thinking about starting another group of seeds from what's left of my imported variety pack and setting up a second Deep Water Culture tent. I'll be a month behind but at least I'll make sure there's no propagating / fornicating going on. I kind of have to let this crop go ahead and finish, otherwise my laser irradiation experiment will be a wash.

Thanks for checking it out for me

Ganjaballz, + Reps for the awesome pics. Those are great examples of Male pollen! I have never had to deal with male plants. I always get the fem seeds

Thanks and Sorry for your loss! :rip:

pollen can travel for miles in the right conditions.

individual grains of pollen are tiny, almost microscopic, so you don't actually have to see it for it to be spread around.

don't let it get you down bro, happens to lots of us. None of us were born knowing this stuff.

I bet you'll be able to identify males very well in the future.

rock on ganja ;)

Ganjaballz, + Reps for the awesome pics. Those are great examples of Male pollen! I have never had to deal with male plants. I always get the fem seeds

Thanks and Sorry for your loss! :rip:

They "were" fem seeds. At least they were 'sposed to be....
Thanks for the rep - consolation prize :)

I need some more lenses for my DSLR though, it's a fuzzy / horrible macro pic for a two thousand dollar camera setup. I'm on eBay looking for some right now, actually.

individual grains of pollen are tiny, almost microscopic, so you don't actually have to see it for it to be spread around.

don't let it get you down bro, happens to lots of us. None of us were born knowing this stuff.

I bet you'll be able to identify males very well in the future.

rock on ganja ;)

I have another set of seeds soaking in water now so I can start another crop in a second tent.

Yes, in the future any plant with anything round on it is going to die! I don't really care if I end up with seedy buds - I haven't smoked in 10 years so it's not like I'll run through a low yield in a matter of days at first and it's for my own use so no dealing with customer complaints or anything.

I did send an email to the seed vendor and let them know their "premium dna lock fem seeds" are bullshit though.

Had to add a question - can I take clones of any of the female plants I have left or will they also turn out seedy?

Wow, that's a boy alright. I haven't ever seen one go that far before (I chop them immediately).

Like everyone's said, don't let it get you down. Everyone learns their own way. Seeds can be a pain in the 'tocks but there's a silver lining - the seeds!

That plus the hard less of how to spot males should mean good things for your future growing.

I wouldn't speculate on the strains, but that last picture looks like that plant has some heat stress, so you might need to back off the lights a little from that one.

even if your female plants are pollinated, you can take cuttings that will turn out fine.

they won't turn out seedy, they would also need to be pollinated when blooming for that to happen.

good idea to take some cuts from known females.

I'm sorry all, I have one more question -

Is there a specific stage of growth in a female where pollination can occur?

The reason I ask is that two of my plants are quite a bit less mature than the others - both reacted badly to the heat in my tent and stopped growing at one point while the others kept going.

I'm wondering if I should move those two younger / smaller females to another tent or is it a waste of time? I've gotta figure if there's any pollen on them at all it would just end up in the other tent.

I could see a small amount of very fine, yellowish "dust" under the male plant and stuck on the mylar behind it. I used baby wipes to clean all of it up. Is there anything I can use that will sterilize the pollen without hurting my plants? I'd like to try and eliminate any pollen that might be left in the tent.

Wow, that's a boy alright. I haven't ever seen one go that far before (I chop them immediately).

Like everyone's said, don't let it get you down. Everyone learns their own way. Seeds can be a pain in the 'tocks but there's a silver lining - the seeds!

That plus the hard less of how to spot males should mean good things for your future growing.

I wouldn't speculate on the strains, but that last picture looks like that plant has some heat stress, so you might need to back off the lights a little from that one.

That plant was one of the laser irradiated seeds and all of them share an identical trait - they go into new growth stages amazingly fast. That plant had a couple of very small "buds" for a few days and then it literally grew another inch and popped the flower pods in less than 48 hours time. My females all grew bud sites / pistils in the same amount of time (minus the two plants that are behind in growth / maturity).

All the plants went through heat stress when my lighting rig slipped down and raised the heat to over 90F at the plants. All but two of them stopped growing and started curling up the leaves. As you can see from the pics even the bottom most - heat stressed leaves have begun to turn back to green again - overall they showed a remarkable recovery once I fixed the heat issue.

On taking clones - I might try just to save the time it will take for the seedlings to grow. I really didn't want to have more than 6 plants going though -but- starting my second grow with known females sounds good.

On sterilizing pollen - plain water will suspend it temporarily, my instinctual spray down of the plants with water was a good thing. From what I've read denatured alcohol is the best / safest thing to use to clean the equipment (it will kill pollen on contact). You can spray plants with a 1 to 3 solution of it w/ water and then rinse them with plain water to kill any pollen on the plants. I need to make a home depot run to get some and get the equipment I need to set up the second grow. (The seeds I'm germinating will go into the aerogrow, probably long enough for this first crop to harvest).

You can also buy a couple of different chemical solutions to stop pollination but they're both extremely dangerous IMO vs. denatured alcohol.

I'm going to set up a bubble bucket for three plants and take clones of my best female after I kill any pollen on it.

I'm sorry all, I have one more question -

Is there a specific stage of growth in a female where pollination can occur?

The reason I ask is that two of my plants are quite a bit less mature than the others - both reacted badly to the heat in my tent and stopped growing at one point while the others kept going.

I'm wondering if I should move those two younger / smaller females to another tent or is it a waste of time? I've gotta figure if there's any pollen on them at all it would just end up in the other tent.

I could see a small amount of very fine, yellowish "dust" under the male plant and stuck on the mylar behind it. I used baby wipes to clean all of it up. Is there anything I can use that will sterilize the pollen without hurting my plants? I'd like to try and eliminate any pollen that might be left in the tent.

as you mentioned, plain water works fine for destroying pollen on plants and surfaces, so spraying your plants was good.

good question on the pollination of the females in early bloom.

If there are pistils present to receive the pollen, then pollination can take place at any stage of bloom, but I'm not sure what the consequences would be of very early pollination.

The plant's priority is survival of the species, so it will direct energy into growing and maturing any seeds, but a plant pollinated very early isn't going to have that many pistils, so it may still put lots of energy into the buds.

good question to ask over in the FAQ section. maybe someone else will know.

Back
Top Bottom