Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

Re: Stealth Hydroponics Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

if you was growing outdoors, there would be dark cloudy days and rainy days of entirely NO sun and of course, there would be night times too.

Well I can't argue with that Rose, but you can't compare outside plants to plants growing in a totally artificial environment that depend entirely on electricity for light, for nutrients, and for ventilation and temperature control.

If it weren't for the generator, I doubt if my plants would survive several days in the darkness with temperatures around freezing.

Hello Roseman,I grow in a bcnl bloombox and producer,but I am thinking about setting up a Dual Spectrum Deep Water Culture system to grow mothers to clone,what CFL lights do you recomend the Dual Spectrum 65 Lights or the Dual Spectrum II Lights. or something else. thank you:peace:

Well I can't argue with that Rose, but you can't compare outside plants to plants growing in a totally artificial environment that depend entirely on electricity for light, for nutrients, and for ventilation and temperature control.

If it weren't for the generator, I doubt if my plants would survive several days in the darkness with temperatures around freezing.

I hear ya, I understand and I agree and you won't get an arguement outa me.

Hello Roseman,I grow in a bcnl bloombox and producer,but I am thinking about setting up a Dual Spectrum Deep Water Culture system to grow mothers to clone,what CFL lights do you recomend the Dual Spectrum 65 Lights or the Dual Spectrum II Lights. or something else. thank you:peace:

1st, if ya got the time, can you tell me what a bcnl box is?????

The Dual Spectrum II are the same, just 85 watts instead of 65 watts. (there was a time in 2005 and 2006 that the 65s were the largest CFLs made, so when the 85s came out, they called them II) The Deep Water Culture system is all about those first 3 or 4 weeks, of VERY rapid growth and also all about being able to start with seeds instead of sedlings, sprouts or clones.

I am not 100% sure that Deep Water Culture and 85 watt bulbs are all that needed for just growing mothers to cut clones, unless you want them very fast. If you do want them fast, you can't do any better. Most Deep Water Culture growers get an inch a day in height growth.

1st, if ya got the time, can you tell me what a bcnl box is?????

The Dual Spectrum II are the same, just 85 watts instead of 65 watts. (there was a time in 2005 and 2006 that the 65s were the largest CFLs made, so when the 85s came out, they called them II) The Deep Water Culture system is all about those first 3 or 4 weeks, of VERY rapid growth and also all about being able to start with seeds instead of sedlings, sprouts or clones.

I am not 100% sure that Deep Water Culture and 85 watt bulbs are all that needed for just growing mothers to cut clones, unless you want them very fast. If you do want them fast, you can't do any better. Most Deep Water Culture growers get an inch a day in height growth.

OK the boxes are built by BC Northern Lights, a self contained grow system,they are 1 of the sponsors here,so if I just want to grow some mothers for clones what do u think would be the easiest way to go,thanks:peace:

If you can check and adjust the pH daily, then go with the Deep Water Culture System.

Thanks so much for ur help.

OK the boxes are built by BC Northern Lights, a self contained grow system,they are 1 of the sponsors here,so if I just want to grow some mothers for clones what do u think would be the easiest way to go,thanks:peace:

If you're growing in bubblephonics and want to grow a mother plant and clone from it; are you flowering the mother plant after cutting clones or just keeping the mother plant in veg state with the clones?

Just curious since I am thinking of setting up two spaces for flowering and veg/cloning.

If you're growing in bubblephonics and want to grow a mother plant and clone from it; are you flowering the mother plant after cutting clones or just keeping the mother plant in veg state with the clones?

Just curious since I am thinking of setting up two spaces for flowering and veg/cloning.

I just want to grow Mothers for clones,I will keep Mother in veg :bongrip:

I just got my tent today and its 2 by 4 by 6 which is decent size. I am starting from seeds but I feel like I want to try out cloning from few mother plants.

Any thoughts on SOG with bubblephonics or is it worth doing it from seed all the way?

SOG? That's Sea Of Grean, like 30 plants. I think you mean SCROG. Using nets to control bud height?..
Anyways, yes this can be done in the space you have but 3-4 plants is all you would need. The problem you will run into, unless you have a good exhaust fan(400-500cfm) is heat. so you should look into using high power FL or 65w max(85w+ start getting hot) CFLs and 5-6 should be decent but of course, cram as many as you can as long as you don't raise the temperature in excess of 90 degrees F. Ideal temp is 72-74 but 80-84/5 is okay.. 90 or higher will stunt the plant. make sure you have plenty of air flow too..

SOG? That's Sea Of Grean, like 30 plants. I think you mean SCROG. Using nets to control bud height?..
Anyways, yes this can be done in the space you have but 3-4 plants is all you would need. The problem you will run into, unless you have a good exhaust fan(400-500cfm) is heat. so you should look into using high power FL or 65w max(85w+ start getting hot) CFLs and 5-6 should be decent but of course, cram as many as you can as long as you don't raise the temperature in excess of 90 degrees F. Ideal temp is 72-74 but 80-84/5 is okay.. 90 or higher will stunt the plant. make sure you have plenty of air flow too..

SCROG sounds interesting but I am still interested in Sea of Green by cloning. Im using CFL with plenty of fans and airflow. I think the strain I got is a hybrid White widow skunk and im expecting it to grow tall but i don't think i will inhibit its grow with Scrog or should I? I guess its a personal choice.

Thanks for replying.

You can do SOG with Deep Water Culture. Just fit as many tubs in your space that you can and go for skinny single cola plants. From what I understand, SOG is great with clones because you can almost go to flower right away if you want because the clones are already semi-mature coming off the mother plant.

SCROG can be difficult with Deep Water Culture because you need to figure how you are going to do res changes and cleaning if need be with your plants all up in the screen/net and all. It can be done, just requires a little more fore thought about that aspect.

Best of luck on your grow. :hookah:

SCROG can be difficult with Deep Water Culture ... just requires a little more fore thought.

I have been fore thinking this for some time and I can't come up with any method that would allow me to lift SCROGed plants out of the buckets.

If any SCROGer has come up with a system that allows the buckets to be removed for cleaning at nute change time, I would love to hear about it.

I assume you tried a search here already. I don't have a link or pic, but I remember someone once used small PVC tube to build a rectangular cube frame. The bottom face of the cube connected to the top of the res, and the SCROG netting was connected to the top face of the cube. That way the whole thing still lifted off the res. Don't know what ever happened with it or how the grow turned out, but maybe it will get those creative juices flowing for ya. ;)

Agent Green :smokin:

I assume you tried a search here already. I don't have a link or pic, but I remember someone once used small PVC tube to build a rectangular cube frame. The bottom face of the cube connected to the top of the res, and the SCROG netting was connected to the top face of the cube. That way the whole thing still lifted off the res. Don't know what ever happened with it or how the grow turned out, but maybe it will get those creative juices flowing for ya. ;)

Agent Green :smokin:

That sounds pretty awesome, only question I have is how was it anchored to the lid? Eventually I would like to try one but not for a few more harvests.

Seeing all that bud sitting above the screen always looks so beautiful.

That's a clever design having the lid attached to the PVC frame which also acts as a stand when the lid is off the tub.

I would love to hear how the project worked out and see a picture of the plants actually growing under the screen.

This is a link to the thread:

DIY Little SCROG unit

That's a clever design having the lid attached to the PVC frame which also acts as a stand when the lid is off the tub.

I would love to hear how the project worked out and see a picture of the plants actually growing under the screen.

This is a link to the thread:

DIY Little SCROG unit

ptg701,

Thanks for that link, and I agree its a clever design and KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Saved that link incase I get bored and decide to try and build it myself. :idea:

SCROG sounds interesting but I am still interested in Sea of Green by cloning. Im using CFL with plenty of fans and airflow. I think the strain I got is a hybrid White widow skunk and im expecting it to grow tall but i don't think i will inhibit its grow with Scrog or should I? I guess its a personal choice.

Thanks for replying.

I personally wouldn't bother with a sea of green, in a Deep Water Culture system, unless you have height restriction problems. You generally can get more yield from several full size plants, than a bunch of smaller clones. For instance, right now I have 12 clones in an aero system and three full size plants in bubble buckets. If I estimate 1/2 oz for each clone that is 6 oz. If I estimate 3 oz each for the full size plants(they are big), that is 9 oz. I guess what I am trying to say is, it really depends on your situation. I have plenty of room, so I do a mix of both!

Back
Top Bottom