SOJO's 1st BubbleGrow-Whitewidow Skunk/CFL/Grow Tent

sojolove1

Hi everyone,

This is my first BubbleGrow and I have been inspired by all the Deep Water Culture.

Here is my setup:

What strain is it - WhiteWidowSkunk hybrid - mix of Indica and Sativa

Tank: 10 gallon roughneck tank with 8 grow cup holes

Indoor : grow tent 2x4x6

Hydro: Bubblephonics

Size of light : CFL spirals - 105 watt 6500K,85watt 5000K, (2) 42watt 2700K - will add more once im going.

Not aircooled - Oscillating Fan

Temp of Room/cab - Ideally 70-75

Fertilizer: Stealth Hydro packets

I am germinating 5 white widow skunk seed and 3 unknown seeds that came with the seed order. Both are in a warm coffee mug in a dark place. Its been about 12 hours so far and nothing has sprouted or cracked. it did get cold last night and im wondering if the temp drop affected them somehow. But im crossing my fingers. As soon as they ready I will put them in rockwool and put the babies under the light.

This is my 10 gallon tank that will hold 8 grow cups. I know it will get crowded but im trying to increase my chances of a good mother plant without adding another tank.
IMG_4143.jpg

The holes cut out with the grow cups
IMG_4144.jpg

Side view of the tank
IMG_4145.jpg

Some of the supplies i will be using.
IMG_41471.jpg

My odor bucket. Obviously i need a smaller fan which i will get next week. Will be using the ONA fresh linen scent.
IMG_4148.jpg

8 grow cups, 2 12inch airstones and my waterpump with manifold is being soaked in pH water since last night
IMG_41491.jpg

I tested my tap water with the pH strip twice and it read 5.5 to 5.7 without any adjustments.
IMG_41521.jpg

Hydroton in pH water soaking overnight.
IMG_4154.jpg

Rockwool soaking overnight in pH water
IMG_41551.jpg

My grow tent. It's 2x4x8 and you can see some of the reflectors i will be using.
IMG_4156.jpg

The seeds finally cracked open. So im ready to go. Here are some pics:

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

Its pretty humid up here so my temp is reading 86 degrees and 61% humidity.

I put a fan to circulate the air but its not getting any colder. But im thinking the warm weather may not hurt the seedlings that need to sprout and come out towards the light. Hopefully tonight temps can be cool.

Welcome to 420 SOJO, looks like a good start. Get ready to be overloaded with info as soon as the Deep Water Culture make their way over here! :tokin:

I'm in! :popcorn: I too have been inspired by the Deep Water Culture. I just received my DWC kit this week!

10Gal res is what i plan on using my friend. That tent might be too small for 8 ladies esp in flower but yea i am in and will be checking back

Hi Sojolove! I'll be watching. No need for lights until the little round leaves come out of the rockwool. Do you have a way to measure your ph, tds and res temp?

The Adventure Begins!

The seeds cracked with tiny white root. Was i supposed to put them under a dome with humidity? I have them in rockwool under the lights.

Im measuring my pH with test strip and have the sticky aquarium outside my tank. So far its reading 78 degrees which is too high. I don't know how to measure the tds yet.

Welcome to the Deep Water Culture and display our logo Proudly. 78* is way to high for res temps you want them to be around 65-70 if possiable otherwise you get the funk . I would recomend if you having problems getting the temps down using H202 peroxide
as a prevenative if your using SH nutes go by the feeding instructions I did 2 grows without a TDS meter
Good Luck :welcome:

Welcome to the Deep Water Culture and display our logo Proudly. 78* is way to high for res temps you want them to be around 65-70 if possiable otherwise you get the funk . I would recomend if you having problems getting the temps down using H202 peroxide
as a prevenative if your using SH nutes go by the feeding instructions I did 2 grows without a TDS meter

Yea i checked this morning and it went up to 86 degrees! I think im gonna insulate it with mylar and i also covered the cups with styrofoam. I have two oscillating fans blowing and overall temp is not going down from 88. The roots havent even hit water yet and my res temp is too high!

Is your tank raised a little off the floor? That can help get some air under the res for better cooling. I don't think mylar has much insulation value. One thing to try is to prep a gallon and stick it in the frig. Then you drain a gallon out of the res and pour in the chilled gallon. This needs to be done at least 3x a day.

Is your tank raised a little off the floor? That can help get some air under the res for better cooling. I don't think mylar has much insulation value. One thing to try is to prep a gallon and stick it in the frig. Then you drain a gallon out of the res and pour in the chilled gallon. This needs to be done at least 3x a day.

Yea my res is not off the floor completely to have room to cool. I will look into some low tables or even a milk crate to level it up. The temp in the house is about 85 so i don't think tis helping at all even with two fans going. Im reluctant to put on the AC because it costs a lot to have it running continously. Plus I have the tent open so it is not completely closed; when its closed the temp is up to 90! Im thinking of a vent maybe.

But I will do the cold gallon water for the time being. The res temp is not going lower than 82 :(

Some pics:
IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_41611.jpg

You don't have to raise it that much. I use a couple of 4x4" blocks and that's enough.

Thanks! I just took out a gallon and added a cool gallon back into res. The temp is down to 80. I think the next gallon i add i will make is more colder. One airstone was not working and i just changed it. I also put the airpump outside of the tent and i just don't know what is causing the water to heat so much. I guess its the room temp.

Thanks for your help :) Hopefully the babies will survive in this heat.

I checked the pH of the res and it is still in the range of 5.7 with the high temp. Should i add H202 even though the roots havent hit water yet as a preventative measure?

Sucks to have temp issues right from the start.

Working the temp done slowly as you are is the best way to go. I'd use the H2O2 until they hit the water and then remove the water pump. Removing the air pump from the room is also a good idea. Max air is one of the better remedies to high water temps. The reason high temps are bad is that warm water doesn't carry as much disolved oxygen. The roots actually die from suffication. I also like to have around one of the zymes ( hygrozyme, Sensizyme, Cannazyme). They convert dead root material back into nutes the plant can use.

Working the temp done slowly as you are is the best way to go. I'd use the H2O2 until they hit the water and then remove the water pump. Removing the air pump from the room is also a good idea. Max air is one of the better remedies to high water temps. The reason high temps are bad is that warm water doesn't carry as much disolved oxygen. The roots actually die from suffication. I also like to have around one of the zymes ( hygrozyme, Sensizyme, Cannazyme). They convert dead root material back into nutes the plant can use.

The temp is reading 90 degrees even with the two fans over the res and lamps. I will add a cool gallon in a few hours with some H202 to try to keep the res temp low. But everything is high as of now and i might just put the ac on. Not a smart thing to do to start a grow int he hottest month of the year. But thanks for the replies guys

Welcome to 420 and the Deep Water Culture! I like the DIY setup, very nice! MC, is right, get that reservoir raised up with some blocks and also positioning a fan blowing directly on the res, will help some too. The vent is a good idea to draw hot air out of the tent, from the top.

Back
Top Bottom