My first grow in progress (white widow + clones)

Screwface

hello,

This is my first ever big attempt to grow ANY plant, i've got white widow and im Using:

Sand mix soil, 150watt Halogen lamps, mirical grow and pure tap water for now.

the pics im about to attatch were taken today, heres a little description of the plants .
day 93 -for the mother plant, (She used to be big now shes 1/3 of her origional size)
day 48 -for the clone in the big pot,now a plant
day 03 -for the clones in the blue cup in the tank
day 02 -for the clones in volvic bottle cups cuttouts in the tank (lol ghettoo;))
day 15 -for the sprout (found the seed in a bag of weed my friend gave me:bong:)

At the moment i dunno what the temperature or Ph's are because im lazy to go up to the garden center to buy the equipment.... ill eventually get it :) My mother plant survived for 93 days now, so things cnt be too bad.

ok thats it, all the information i have , any questions? please feel free.
and i dont mind criticism's , as this is all educational for me.

..../Screwface

So here they are................

21012009385.jpg

The clone + Mum + Sprout
21012009383.jpg

Different view, notice the yellow note thing says do not water untill 100% dry, this is because i kinda blocked the drainage on the bottom of the pot so i need it to drink it all up before i give it some more:smokin:
21012009386.jpg

Clones in fish tank, I've filled the bottom of the tank with some water, this is to create humidity, i am uncertain if its enough or too much as i don't have a clew what i need to buy to get this accurate
21012009387.jpg

21012009388.jpg

21012009389.jpg

:slide:

I'm sorry to tell you this, and I don't want to be an ass but I'm looking at a train wreck. The clone thing is probably not going to work at all; WAY too much standing water, the halogen light is the wrong spectrum and way too hot. Some florescent s will work much better and are super cheap. Only keep the soil moist for clones, if you need to add extra humidity (i do) take a hand towel and soak it in H2o then sort-of wring it out and place it under the cups, which should be light proof (slip those into the red ones or cover them with duct tape). The foil sucks too, white paint would be better for the plants.

Dont let me scare you off!! Keep at it and all your efforts will be rewarded in a few months. Read some journals start to finish, look at Harry Red or McBudz journals (they are my soil heroes). Dont be shy about questions or criticisms as this site is full of people who want YOU to smoke the best buds ever.......YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!

Fly is right , your just starting and its not like anyone excepted excellence from you. Keep at it!

I'm sorry to tell you this, and I don't want to be an ass but I'm looking at a train wreck. The clone thing is probably not going to work at all; WAY too much standing water, the halogen light is the wrong spectrum and way too hot. Some florescent s will work much better and are super cheap. Only keep the soil moist for clones, if you need to add extra humidity (i do) take a hand towel and soak it in H2o then sort-of wring it out and place it under the cups, which should be light proof (slip those into the red ones or cover them with duct tape). The foil sucks too, white paint would be better for the plants.

Dont let me scare you off!! Keep at it and all your efforts will be rewarded in a few months. Read some journals start to finish, look at Harry Red or McBudz journals (they are my soil heroes). Dont be shy about questions or criticisms as this site is full of people who want YOU to smoke the best buds ever.......YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!

thank you for the advice, i appreciate all critisms as they teach me what i do not already know :)
i actually dont have the money to go buy florescent at the moment so what do you suggest i do with what i got so far?
should i move the hallogen up more to ease the heat inthe tank?
remove the water under the tank? not fully obviously but make it lesS? (by the way non of the cups with clones have any drainage wich is why i thaght i'd allow more water at the bottom)

when they say flourescent, we are talking the spiral energy saving bulbs that cost but a few pounds, they will work much better than the work lamp you are using.

ah i c ok il try get me one of those with the socket for the mains,
ill probs be able to get them this week when i get the time to goto warehouse,
for the time being what do you guys think about this layout for the clones?
22012009391.jpg

Ive moved the light up more and placed some material on the water as i was advised in the post above... what do you fink ??

I would try just a regular light bulb or two till you can score some florescent s, but the halogen will keep them alive they just wont be real happy and thrive (at this point they don't need much light at all, the more light the more leaf growth, we want root growth right now). I can see some changes taking place already, good job. Getting set-up "right" can be daunting and expensive, but well worth it. You just have to get a few basics in order to start and then can tweak the room as funds and experience become available. Good Luck, and keep on keeping on.
PS thanks for not getting offended by my first post!!:passitleft:

^ oops, yeah get alot of the water out, you are using sand (which I've never used), it will drain real fast, not sure how often to suggest watering....maybe a few drops a day....I start in rockwool or rapid rooters and only add a little bit of water once they are pretty dry. Are you going soil or hydro when its time to transplant? Definatley have some drainage in your cups so the roots and stems dont rot or mold.

I would try just a regular light bulb or two till you can score some florescent s, but the halogen will keep them alive they just wont be real happy and thrive (at this point they don't need much light at all, the more light the more leaf growth, we want root growth right now). I can see some changes taking place already, good job. Getting set-up "right" can be daunting and expensive, but well worth it. You just have to get a few basics in order to start and then can tweak the room as funds and experience become available. Good Luck, and keep on keeping on.
PS thanks for not getting offended by my first post!!:passitleft:

I have to stick with this halogen for the time being m8, as i dont have any bulb sokets at the moment, im thinking about going to get some this week. when you said keep the water out, did you mean inside the the tank or inside the cup of the clones?

PeaCe...:passitleft:

Thanks for your advice, i've now removed all the water and drenched the material then placed back into the tank. i hope the clones will survive until i get a different light for them.
Im thinking to move the halogen to the vegetative stage to put it into use, that reminds me... heres what they look like 2day. the sprout seams to be going at it and my main clone seams to be gettin more healthier since i havent gave it any water (drainage was blocked & leaves was curling up). heres a shot
23012009392.jpg

I am un certain of which nute to give to the vegetative room anybody got any ideas?

Also the clones appear to be having some kind of browness apearing along the stem, does this indicate the clone is dying??? if so how do i save it?

23012009393.jpg

23012009396.jpg

/Screwface

Welcome to 420 bud.

flyfish definitely has you running in the right direction.

Save up a few pounds and switch your lights over to Compact Spiral Fluorescents. The average hardware store will carry them since they are the latest rage in going green and conserving energy. For vegetative growth look for bulbs that are 6000K-7000K in color temperature. Just having these lights alone your plants will do 100% better then with that halogen. Just because a light is bright does not mean its usuable by the plant. For lush vegetative growth the plant needs the blue spectrum spectrum found in the 6000K-7000K range. The more watts/ lumens the better. As far as sockets I was able to find wired sockets with reflectors for $6 usd each just to give you an idea.

As far as water, drainage, and medium..

regardless of your medium all containers should be light proof, no exceptions. Roots do not like the light, they grow away from it.

Your containers should have adequate drainage holes in the bottom. If the roots are sitting in any sort of standing water they will rot and die. This is because standing water is depleted of oxygen and the roots need oxygen as much as they need water to live.

Your medium should also have adequate drainage as well as moisture retention. it should never be soaked and soggy just moist. Let it dry out between waterings.

What are you planning to use for nutrients?

For the clones in the box that will be more than enough for humidity. No need to have water in the bottom. I just keep the medium moist as described above and I mist the inside with some water once a day or as needed. Open the top a couple of times a day to exchange the stale air. You only need enough humidity to prevent the clones from wilting over. It does not need to be a boggy marsh in there.

good luck and look forward to seeing this grow get better.
:peace:

Check out my White Widow grow below in my signature.

Yep i agree, thanks flyfish u've been a great help so far bud
and cheers Mcbudz, i've actually managed to sort some lighting out for the clones (nicked the soket in the corridor of the house, i hope no 1 notices loool )... im not sure if the bulb is correct so if u can jus double check for me please, its the one in the picture below
23012009401.jpg

11W 220-240v 50/60Hz 105mA bulb
So now the cloning room looks like this.
I spray tap water inside like 2-3 times a day to keep it from drying out, I've drilled holes in the cups for drainage and i make sure the soil is pretty moist most of the times. Ido need to get sum duct tape to cover the see-through plastic cups tho, i thaught it would make a great pot for clones because i would actually see when the roots are grown... wich i was wrong about, so , so far my shopping list is now:
Wired soket x3 + x3 bulbs
Nutes (not sure on what is ideal for my plants maybe someone can refer me something)
Duct tape :)
...ANything i've missed?

23012009400.jpg

The Halogens are in the vegetative room for the moment until i can find another wired soket :)

the plants are looking like they're doing good, the young sprout seems to be getting taller and opening out more, the clones seem to be doing well under the new lights.
Ill be going B&Q tomorow to get some bulb sokets for the vegetative room.
I need to know wich nutrients to buy, if someone can help me out with that please.
All i have at the moment is Miricle grow and thats it, could u please tell me the exact name of what i need so i can get it 2morrow please cheers 420 :D:grinjoint:

things look a lot different, screwface!! sounds like they are doing better, good...I was looking at the pic with the brown spot on the stem, if the brown spot feels slimy, or if it starts wanting to fall over I would consider quarantining or tossing it out. Often when too wet they rot and or get very serious diseases that can spread like wild fire. Dont be hasty, just cautious. Go ahead and lower the bulb a bit, see if they perk up a touch. Ex pect them to look REALLY bad before they look better, once the roots take hold they will perk up. Good Luck

things look a lot different, screwface!! sounds like they are doing better, good...I was looking at the pic with the brown spot on the stem, if the brown spot feels slimy, or if it starts wanting to fall over I would consider quarantining or tossing it out. Often when too wet they rot and or get very serious diseases that can spread like wild fire. Dont be hasty, just cautious. Go ahead and lower the bulb a bit, see if they perk up a touch. Ex pect them to look REALLY bad before they look better, once the roots take hold they will perk up. Good Luck

Thanks fly its always nice reading your posts dude, ur very helpful :thanks:

I've made some new adjustments
I've managed to get my hands on a new bulb soket for my vegetative room.
I've also baught a twinpack of the highest flourescant lumen output bulbs they had available.
(240 Volts 20 Watt, Lumen output: 1200 lumens)

I am now using 1 bulb for vegetative room and 1 bulb for my clones
Once the clones grow their roots, i am planning to move both bulbs to vegetative room but i am concerned for the moment if 1 bulb per room is enough or would i need to buy more sokets + bulbs???

If some one can clearify that for me i'd appriciate it very much.;)

P.s Bastard B&Q wouldnt take my halogen lamps back, what do you suggest i use it for? would it make ANY difference if i chucked in the halogens back into the vegetative room WITH the energy saving bulb? in order to light up shaded areas of the plant or is that just a waste of time/ electricity? if any one could also clarify that for me also i would very much appreciate it.

Thanks 420 Your all great :cheer::cool:

:peace::cool:

What color lights did you get? That part is important.

Don't bother with the halogen, useless for growing and a waste of electricity.

Clones dont need much light until they start to grow again. Vegging and flowering plants the more lights the better. If you can manage the heat the more lights the better. 3000K (warm red-yellow) for bloom, 6500K (cool -blueish) for veg.

Back
Top Bottom