Ex-DEA: Obama Sued Over Immigration, Why Not Pot?

MedicalNeed

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama sued to keep Arizona from writing its own immigration laws. Now, every former Drug Enforcement Administration boss is asking whether he'll do the same to stop California from legalizing marijuana.

In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, all nine former DEA administrators said legalizing pot presented the same threat to federal authority as Arizona's immigration crackdown.

The letter raises questions about when the federal government should wade into debates over state laws. While Obama has made immigration an important issue for his administration, steering the debate over legalizing marijuana has not been a focus of his agenda.

Proposition 19, on the November ballot in California, would allow adults to possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Local governments would be allowed to tax its sales.

Obama's drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske, has said he opposes the measure, but the former DEA administrators in Democratic and Republican administrations say the Justice Department should forcefully come out against it before the election. And if it passes, the former administrators say, Obama should sue.

Before Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a tough immigration law in April, Obama called it misguided. In July, the administration sued the state, saying only the federal government can set immigration policy. The lawsuit cited the Constitution's Supremacy Clause, which says that when state and federal laws are at odds, federal law prevails.

The DEA administrators say Obama should take the same stance on drugs.

"We would expect the Department of Justice to act just as swiftly and for the same reason," if California's ballot measure passes, the administrators wrote in the Aug. 24 letter.

The Justice Department did not immediately comment on the letter Friday. It did not weigh in on the Arizona law until it was signed.

If Obama handles the California case differently, it could lead to accusations that the Arizona lawsuit was more about politics than principle. But the administration is not the only one vulnerable to claims of hypocrisy on this issue: Some Republicans opposed to marijuana legalization are also among those who said the federal government had no business suing Arizona and overruling the will of the voters.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:Breaking News - Birmingham Alabama News - FOX 6 WBRC - MyFoxAL.com
Author: MATT APUZZO
Contact:Breaking News - Birmingham Alabama News - FOX 6 WBRC - MyFoxAL.com
Copyright:2000 - 2010 WorldNow and WBRC, a Raycom Media Station

Prop 19 is a state constitutional amendment regarding internal California State regulations. The Arizona law was legislation that deals specifically with immigration, which, according to the US Constitution, is the sole purview of the federal government. Ergo, there is a basis for a federal suit in the Arizona situation. The case is not so clear cut in regarding Prop 19, and the federal government has already been judicial barred from interfering in California's Prop 215 (medical cannabis ).

Like I've said a few times on this Fourm California is to big and has way to many electoral votes the Obama administration will not risk a upset in California in 2012. For one they are struggling as it is with unemployment and they hate to admit it but Cannabis does employ people who pay taxes. Look at previous attempts to regulate or legalize and there was tremendous opposition the kind with bottomless pockets. Look at the majority of the opposition so far for prop 19 hardly any federal opposition and we're 6 weeks away.

Will more money show up for the opposition most defiantly that's why we must continue to work move forward push the legislation and regain the right cultivate as much cannabis as we wish. Right now prop 19 is that push the elevation of this topic to the forefront of this nations consciousness. This will be the only way we can begin to change peoples minds away from the 90 years of lies and bigots.

There will be threats and lies but we have to see through the smoke .....shit we should all be able to do that! Look at the law learn and educate your friends and family.

We will regret it for years to come if we let this chance slip through our fingers!

I wonder how long will it take for Washington get on board with repealing MJ prohibition once 19's passage starts to lift CA out of its financial hole?

After 2012 elections I would imagine, even the VA is allowing Vets to use it when just a few years ago that was a big NO NO. Ask my dad the V.A. let him get really sick when they decided he couldn't have his Oxy any more after years, because he admitted to marijuana use. They eventually gave him morphine sulphate and methadone after serious withdrawals, that they caused. Now they ask him which he prefers.

My big number 2 reason is jobs the Obama administration is fully aware of the unemployment situation and have no desire to go backwards. 70,000 plus in California alone would mean a huge increase in tax revenue at the federal, state, local levels. Revenue many states need not only California and the market for hemp is very good so in states who wish to not have legalized cannabis they can still share in the wealth with hemp.

We can all dream any ways:)

One other point I want to add is this when generated tax revenues are calculated do they really count all of the industries that will come alive. The different shops, restaurants, clothes, hemp products, retailers who will piggy back on Cannabis seriously a simple answer NO the 1.5 billion is on taxed cannabis sales per year in CA from what I have been able to find. So I wonder what would it really do how many jobs would it really bring. I'm thinking it could cut the unemployment in half and that is fairly conservative.

I heard a friend say we need a new Internet "like" industry that could drive this country.

Hemp For Victory!!!

Not to mention I would love for the Chinese to start getting some quality U.S. ganja imported wouldn't that just piss them off. I'm thinking a couple billion joints of Revolution Kush for starters.

Prop 19 is a state constitutional amendment regarding internal California State regulations. The Arizona law was legislation that deals specifically with immigration, which, according to the US Constitution, is the sole purview of the federal government. Ergo, there is a basis for a federal suit in the Arizona situation. The case is not so clear cut in regarding Prop 19, and the federal government has already been judicial barred from interfering in California's Prop 215 (medical cannabis ).

Exactly.

Prop 19 is not about medical use, and the Fed still classifies all cannabis as a schedule 1 narcotic w/ no medicinal value.

Raids go on at medical facilities and people have died after court orders to not use their medication allowed under prop 215, so your comments seem a bit idealistic.

I welcome any confrontation that may serve to expose lies and truths. I hope that 19 passes and the Fed tries do make a move similar to AZ. Let them state their best case and we ours.

That I believe is when the real change begins.

I think we can live with the people of Arizona calling it politics the whole world is against that law. Democrat or republican knows they lose this battle in court Arizona does have the right to enforce laws within the state(especially when they show the federal ineptitude) it's shitty I think it's wrong but its the truth unfortunately. I don't think the Obama administration has the balls to try to sue they know who helped put them in office. It will be a fight with the Feds kicking and screaming the whole way trying to scare everyone.

Mexico has said they will legalize if California does most likely, Canada is still struggling with themselves but will most likely come along soon after. Like I have said many times in the past we must continue to fight. They were going to close all the COOP's and dispensaries years ago remember! Shit the fight isn't over when it comes to MMJ as it is.

Think about what happens when we actually succeed in this, it forces the conversation it goes to the highest levels. Is the fight over is it really ever over?????

But it defiantly puts the Feds dicks in the dirt and from there we move to head shots where would we be if quit on prop 215? Even Obama has said he fully expects cannabis to be legal it's just a question of when........then back peddled and said legalization wasn't in his vocabulary.

I say fuck that we keep hitting them till they can't get up because they have no legs or arms when ever we hear lies we must educate.......what ever we do we don't go back that gives them the momentum away. Where would we be had McCain been elected? ahhhhhhhhh mommy wake me up!!!

We have a tremendous opportunity right now let's not waste because of fear.:roorrip:

Prop 19 is not about medical use, and the Fed still classifies all cannabis as a schedule 1 narcotic w/ no medicinal value.

Raids go on at medical facilities and people have died after court orders to not use their medication allowed under prop 215, so your comments seem a bit idealistic.

I welcome any confrontation that may serve to expose lies and truths. I hope that 19 passes and the Fed tries do make a move similar to AZ. Let them state their best case and we ours.

That I believe is when the real change begins.

Legalization of recreational use will only lead to more research and acceptance, which can only open the floodgates to the truth about medical benefits faster. -So 19 is a medical thing.

With the VA now backing MMJ its only a mater of time before schedule one classification is a thing of the past.

All we need is medicare or 'Obamacare' to sign on for MMJ and the "no medical value" BS will become null and void.
:cheer:

And just like in AZ it will be a waste of time and a loss of revenue they are already moving towards rescheduling the AMA recommended cannabis be rescheduled, the VA is now allowing it and found it to be very helpful with PTSD. Yes the Feds are slow they always have been we all know that. Think about this cannabis grown in this country for Vets saving countless dollars on both sides the prescription drug costs, less medication, less anti depressants. These are being looked at but we need to push the issue harder only with public pressure will the government get in line.

We the people must change the laws, vote for officials that matter, they all lie some more than others and some are crazier than bat shit they will kill us all if they get in power. That's why I'm saying we have to look at the overall direction and it's positive. Does Obama need to be smacked up side the head and need to be told to wake up and smell the cronic with out a dought shit is not right at the moment.

Remember why shit is the way it is and no matter what it took a while to get here, even before Bush really the godfather of beginning our inevitable recession, Ronnie Ray Gun was the king of let the market decide, loosen restrictions and for a while it was smooth but once bankers started to see what could be done it was over.

The stock market looks like it's recovering but why personally it's artificially inflated at all times to keep people spending thinking their jobs are safe. I have a friend that owns a small business and he swears things are starting to come back(the items he sells are total luxury items, very expensive, and the market is big but is one of the first things to stop when things get bad) I don't want to out him here he wouldn't like it much. We can call it exotic pets Seriously! just so you have an idea, last year he struggled hard prices dropped 60% animals that were 300 to 400 were now 100 if your lucky and no one was buying at all. Right now and for the last few months he can't produce enough shit is hopping again, animal prices are still low but people are buying a ton. So who is to say if things are better I think they could be a lot better but we have to put aside the fear and move forward continue to push this if prop19 fails it will be sooooo sad! The momentum the anti marijuana lobbies would have would be hard to stop.

If we were to stop working right now they would eventually try to get rid of 215 too truthfully there probably will never be a end to the fighting for this right or any other. There are those who will use a loss of prop19 to try and attack the MMJ the prohibitionists will probably never stop trying to make something illegal. There are quite a few who who love to reinstate prohibition on alcohol just the same. They will use every trick in the book to do it look at the crap they've pulled already. We've got to be smarter and work together, talk to one another and really push.

I gotta tell you, I was an Obama supporter in 2008, but his actions on cannabis rights is going to directly affect my 2012 vote.

I gotta tell you, I was an Obama supporter in 2008, but his actions on cannabis rights is going to directly affect my 2012 vote.

Totally with you on that one, even the dumb ass crazies in the Tea Party and Republican party say legalize it. Like I said force they're hand and sit back they couldn't possibly think they have a shot in hell to win anything in Cali if they start all kinds of shit. It will inevitably get real ugly and they couldn't survive that at all.

That being said the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me some of these elected types are seriously mental and should be checked in STAT!

I'm pissed at Obama I can make a list if anyone cares but really some of the shit was soooo not his fault. Like when the attacks on 9/11 happened was that Bush's fault probably not, I know there are those that think he was responsible but I really don't think he is that smart. Seriously the wars we are in now are like if the oil well in the gulf busted open and they went to Hawaii and plugged a volcano.

100 billion per month plus who knows how much they lie about over 9 years do the math just about matches the debt. Add in the increase of fuel and food prices sprinkle with currency manipulation from our good friends the chinese and give or take a trillion there you are. 1.5 trillion in debt when Bush left office, 10.5 to 11 trillion for wars and there you have it not Obama though.

I didn't mention the deregulation of the stock market because many are responsible for that one but it didn't help either. I'll stop I have no problem bitching about Obama lately either but blame him for debt or spending to fix the shit that was let go while we went to war can't do that.

He's the president he can't legalize marijuana with a word he can slightly assist in the easing of the path which he has to some extent.....some, ok a little. Ask yourself who else because I'm scared if the Republicans and T-Baggers get control. That with a defeat of prop 19 is exactly what we don't need it would crush the movement.:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom