DEA Defies Obama Pledge, Fights Medical Marijuana & FDA Study

The Marijuana Policy Project accuses the Drug Enforcement Administration of defying President Barack Obama's stated position by raiding a California medical marijuana dispensary and calls on the president to immediately replace Bush administration holdovers at the DEA.

The DEA raided a medical marijuana dispensary in Lake Tahoe, Calif., Jan. 22 — only two days after President Obama's inauguration. During the presidential campaign, Obama repeatedly promised not to waste federal resources interfering in states with laws protecting medical marijuana patients from arrest, and he told Southern Oregon's Mail Tribune editorial board on March 28, 2008,

"I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue," Obama said. MPP also urges President Obama to instruct the Bush-appointed current administrator of the DEA to delay a final ruling on a Motion to Reconsider its Jan. 12 decision to deny an application by a University of Massachusetts-Amherst researcher to grow FDA-approved, research-grade marijuana in a secure facility, arguing that Obama's own administrator should get to make that decision once in place.

The DEA's Jan. 12 denial was one among a series of unrelated 11th-hour regulatory actions the Bush administration attempted to finalize before leaving office. The DEA could rule on the motion as early as Monday unless the White House stops Bush holdover, Michele Leonhart, the DEA administrator. The DEA's Jan. 12 decision came nearly two years after the its own administrative law judge, Mary Ellen Bittner, ruled that approving the application would "be in the public's interest" and after years of delay on the part of the Bush administration.

"On the first day of the new administration, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel issued a memo to departments and agencies directing them to hold off on issuing final regulations until President Obama's appointees have a chance to review them," said Aaron Houston, MPP director of government relations. "We're just asking for the same thing here. We'd like a fair hearing from new leadership at the DEA"

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Opposing Views
Copyright: 2009 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: DEA Defies Obama Pledge, Fights Medical Marijuana & FDA Study

"On the first day of the new administration, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel issued a memo to departments and agencies directing them to hold off on issuing final regulations until President Obama's appointees have a chance to review them," said Aaron Houston, MPP director of government relations. "We're just asking for the same thing here. We'd like a fair hearing from new leadership at the DEA"

This is the first I've heard of this memo, and it's awfully encouraging news.

Maybe Obama is not going to let these cowboy agencies set their own policies after all. I for one was starting to get a little worried

All we need now is Obama to appoint some people that actually believe in science to the ONDCP / DEA

They took down all the posts from the drug czar’s blog down from before Obama was elected. All of John Walters lies and propaganda are no longer there to polute the web. Seems some change is coming. Maybe

They took down all the posts from the drug czar's blog down from before Obama was elected. All of John Walters lies and propaganda are no longer there to polute the web. Seems some change is coming. Maybe

Thanks for pointing this out, I'm going to have some pepto and go have a look for myself.

Back
Top Bottom