Pot Advocates Go Ape Over Obama's DEA Pick

Weedpipe

420 Member
Medical marijuana advocates aren't happy with President Barack Obama's announcement yesterday that he's nominating Michelle Leonhart, the Drug Enforcement Administration's acting administrator since 2007, to keep the job permanently.

"The retention of this Bush-era holdover is a profound disappointment to all of us who hoped that Obama would bring meaningful change to Washington," Dale Gieringer, director of the California chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said today.

Kris Hermes, a spokesman for the Oakland-based Americans for Safe Access, noted that Leonhart "was the deputy administrator under Karen Tandy when Tandy conducted under the Bush administration essentially scores of raids on medical marijuana dispensaries, probably over 200," and continued the raids after Tandy left through the end of Bush's tenure.

"If Obama is trying to signal change on medical marijuana, he's certainly not engendering a lot of trust with the medical marijuana movement by reappointing someone who has engaged in such aggressive tactics," Hermes said.

Marijuana Policy Project Communications Director Kurt Gardinier agreed that although his group has "been pleased with the change in policy Mr. Holder instituted regarding state medical marijuana laws, we are disappointed that President Obama nominated the person who presided over some of the most egregious DEA activities targeting medical marijuana patients and providers during the Bush administration."

Hermes and Gieringer both noted Leonhart overruled a DEA administrative law judge's decision and blocked approval for a University of Massachusetts project to grow research-grade marijuana for use in clinical studies of marijuana's efficacy as medicine – a major stumbling block on the path toward marijuana's eventual removal from the Controlled Substances Act's list of most-restricted drugs.

"If there's one thing on which supporters and critics of medical marijuana agree, it's the need for FDA studies," Gieringer said. "This appointment calls into question whether the administration has any desire to move toward FDA regulation or abandon the bankrupt policies of its predecessors."

Obama's nomination of Leonhart is subject to U.S. Senate confirmation.

"Definitely, we are going to urge politicians to scrutinize her history and the appropriateness of her for being in this position," Hermes said.

I've asked for comment from U.S. Senators Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, and will update if/when I hear from them.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: ContraCostaTimes.com
Author: Josh Richman
Copyright: Bay Area News Group
Website:Political Blotter: Pot advocates go ape over Obama's DEA pick

It's unfortunate that Obama has done a total 180 on marijuana.He has said at every opportunity that he has no intention of making any changes in the laws against pot.This makes him a hypocrite and a liar.It's not that different from the way he has abandoned the progressives in congress on every bill and appointment.For those of us who really expected change it's a slap in the face.

Why is anyone surprised? the only way to make this happen is for us to march down the street TOGETHER and demand the government do what we the people want them to.

remember these?
"I have a dream."
"we the people...."
four score..."

it's up to us if we want it. start locally and group together, then expand. no more hiding.

it will take a revolution to make it happen.

end pot prohibition just like we ended alcohol prohibition, slavery, women's rights, civil rights.....did I mention we need a revolution?

Why is anyone surprised? the only way to make this happen is for us to march down the street TOGETHER and demand the government do what we the people want them to.

remember these?
"I have a dream."
"we the people...."
four score..."

it's up to us if we want it. start locally and group together, then expand. no more hiding.

it will take a revolution to make it happen.

end pot prohibition just like we ended alcohol prohibition, slavery, women's rights, civil rights.....did I mention we need a revolution?
in theory that would be great, but the government has too much power over the people, and a revolution will never be allowed to happen. Orwell was right.

What are you giving up without a fight !? When the gov quits listening to the people, the people need to slap em upside the head a couple of times !! Viva La Revolution!!:bong:

What are you giving up without a fight !? When the gov quits listening to the people, the people need to slap em upside the head a couple of times !! Viva La Revolution!!:bong:
I'll never give up, I'm just saying it's not going to happen. In this day and age, its more beneficial to learn how to work the system rather than change it.

I think our HOPE is in the Libertarian party. I hope we see people get very tired of this Democrat - Republican dotsey-doh b.s. and seek another Party to see how they do.
there are libertarian ideas besides the cannabis ones that make it hard for me to get behind them. in some ways they are too republican for me. i'm a bit left of progressive. to say more would be going off topic in this forum.

If Ron Paul could get elected president everything would be fine. But I agree with TheCriMsonK20. The powers that be won't allow that to happen either.

If Ron Paul could get elected president everything would be fine.....

i like ron paul. but everything? really?

if he were elected we would still have a congress, supreme court etc. there's only so much a president can do.

LOL. Okay well maybe not everything. Kind of wishful thinking there. But a big step in the right direction? I think so. But I doubt it'll ever happen. Oh well. And you're right, they would probably try to block the shit out of everything good he would try to do. God damn it.

Obama's decision isn't surprising. He hasn't changed a thing about our archaic drug laws and has no motivation to do it. He has lied since he became a candidate and its gone downhill since then. Libertarians are really our only answer for now. But getting one elected to be president is pretty much impossible. But if we get enough of them elected to the house and senate they could help force change.

It's funny you talk about revolution in this thread. I think America is ripe for a revolution and is getting riper every day. One of the big issues is Government involvement in Medical Marijuana. I think that this movement has tremendous success at changing the corner in American politics and the fear process in how we administer our government. We have lost way to many personal rights that were taken away due to fear being used as a tool.... like marijuana. Police don't want it. Were would they get all their money for all the cool toys they have now and omit that they were wrong. What would happen with all those prisons that we have built for our citizens'. legalization of marijuana would be like saying maybe all those Hippies were right in the 60"s... People know that racism played a big part of it, from illegalization to modern arrest statics.. Do the research.... So we would get rid of one form of racism in America...It would give us hope in that our government still belongs to people and is a government for the people..." Voting does make a differences in the end. . . Thank God that our fore fathers made sure that the majority rules and he who gets the most votes wins. Not some one body of government. I think that elections this year are going to be truly interesting.... Look out uninformed politicians for you have a pissed off America... Than if they change what we voted for through court system.. Than maybe it's time for that revolution I am hearing more of these days... On the Dea appointment I think it was a good moved by the President. he likes to keep his enemies close at hand...:peace:

Naomi Wolf has a very interesting outlook on our government and seems to be right on in most of her predictions.She is worth listening to on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom