Experience Growers - (T5) 4 x 600 hps - Help!

Whereismycar

Hi, I have been doing lots of research but would appreciate some experienced advice for my situation.

I am considering getting 4 x 600 watt HPS globes, digital ballast and A wing. So far so good..!

I would like to service a total 20 square foot x 5 square foot in total - (4 large flood and drain systems measuring 5 x 5).

This equates to 5 foot x 5 foot for each 600 watt light, which I understand to be at the higher end but still sufficient with panda film and boost on the Ballast.

I was originally going to use 3 x 600 watt (5 foot x 15 foot F&D) as a flowering room, and one 600 watt to service 5x5 square foot as a vegetative room.

Plants in Flower Phase would be 1 foot apart meaning 75 plants given the above. (15 foot x 5 foot)

The plants in vegetative would be about 20cm apart (the best 37.5 plants I would then move into Flower stage) and discard the remaining.

(Netted pots would be used for easy transfer and replanting into larger netted pots between phases) Clay as the medium.

The original plan was to have two vegetative stages for every 1 Flower stage. (So the flower stage would essentially have 2 crops approximately 4 weeks apart) 2 x 600 watts on the older crop 7.5 foot x 5 foot. One 600 watt on the younger crop 7.5 foot x 5 foot. (There would be some lighting overlap as I would be using 3 x 600 watt. (I understand that 7.5 is a large area for a 600 watt)

The remaining 600 watt would obviously be used to raise the next batch in vegetative phase.

Does anyone see any problems with the above? Should I use a 600 watt NH in veg phase or stick with the 4 HPS? (the Ballast will have accommodation for both)

Plan B

I would ideally like to use all 4 x 600 watt HPS for flowering - 20 x 5 square foot.

I was thinking I could get an additional 5x5 foot flood and drain table with T5 Fluorescent tubing for veg. I am considering this option due to my electricity bill.

However, would T5's be sufficient to take plants through the entire vegetative phase before moving to the flower room? I don't really want them stunted or struggling.

How high would say two units of 4 x 55 watt (6400K) fluorescent lights grow plants in vegetative mode before they are seeking something more substantial? The lights would be hung from above not from the sides.

The advantages would be that I could concentrate all the ventilation in the flower room as the T5 wont give off enough heat for me to worry about given the space of the room etc. The other advantage is that I can then concentrate all my HPS lighting on the flower phase.

My other questions are how many plants could i veg under two units of 4 x 55 watt t5 lighting? If I am using 20 x 5 foot as the flower room, I would essentially be wanting to move 50 plants approximately every 4 weeks into that room as I believe that room could hold 100 plants in total. (SOG)

Should I stay with the original plan or does the T5 represent sound thinking?

Finally, I will be writing a thread on the whole start-up.

Advice?

Cheers

re: Experience Growers - (T5) 4 x 600 hps - Help!

Well are you concerned with the electricity bill? If that is a main concern getting a T5 could be a very good option, as for stunted growth I grow with a 200 watt CFL for 4 plants and it is working out well especially for vegetative growth. How tall are you looking for the plants to be in vegetative growth before you move them? And would you still with plan B use the 2 vegetative stages? An idea could be to have the two stages in the same room just with two lights so that the taller ones are on one side and shorter on the other.

Hi, thank you for your feedback Mountaingoat.

To clarify, plan B would have encompassed 4 x 600 watt lights in the flower room / same room.

Ideally, they would veg to about a 30cm under T5, move to stage 1 flower under 2 x 400 watt (4 weeks, maybe to 45cm), then hit the boost to super 600 watt for the remaining 4 weeks. Each Flower stage would hold about 50 plants.

In saying that, the T5 would need to clone and grow 50 plants to 30cm in about 4 weeks. Not sure how many T5 i would need etc or whether I am just better off sticking with the Plan A?

Cheers

To clarify another point, my ceilings are 8.5 foot. I am not overly concerned about the plants getting too big as such cause i have room to work with. My thinking is that the flower cycle should take approximately 2x as long as veg. (give or take depending on strain etc) - As my first grow will be using seeds, I will clone the best females two weeks into flower for the second cycle)??

Hence my thinking that I would stage the flowering into 2 to create a continuous cycle.

Also, using 4x600 - the cost i'm not overly concerned about - its more the footprint I leave.

Thanks again

Sorry, there was a typo in my original post. My plan was two flowering stages for every 1 veg phase.

Aha alright well I do like the plan B as you would be maximizing the use of your stronger lights. And the T5s are great for the veg and cloning so you could get a bunch of similar lights. Considering the amount how many plants and how big is the area you are planning for the VEG room again? Also the electricity bill will be a little less drastic. Are you in a place where raids are a possibility?

Also I think you can keep the t5s close than 30 CM.

This is from another post concerning lights.

Flourescentsroximimty
400w HPS: 1 foot = 30 cm
600w HPS: 1.5 foot = 45 cm
1000w HPS: 2 foot = 60 cm

Also when considering lights I would direct you to pm Wizhigh he has allot of knowlegde about lights and such things! here is a really good informative thread Lumens Vs Color Temp?

Where are raids not a possibility?
Sorry, I meant growing under T5 until they reached 30cm tall. then moving to Flower.

Thank you for that link - now my brain hurts but its good info..

Cheers

Well there are some european countries where there is a understanding that as long as it is for personal use, you wont be botherd.

I would say go with plan B

And PM Wiz about the light questions

And make a Journal cant wait to see that!

Hi JJ Bones,

I appreciate what you are saying and your input, but i don't really believe the 50-65w optimum lighting per square foot for the following reasons.

In essence the reasoning used is that a 600 watt would at 50kw only light 3.5x3.5 footprint at optimum levels or 1.05 meters x 1.05 meters.

The reason why i think this is incorrect, is that the lamp holders all have different shapes and light distribution etc but, they should all pretty much project the reflection in a wider footprint than that. In essence 3.5 x 3,5 may only receive say 70% of the light reflected into that area. The other 30% or whatever is dispersed further afield or perhaps even not reflected downwards at all etc.

So if 70% of the lumiuens were actually directed in that 3.5 x 3.5 70% x 50w is now say about 35w, and hat happens to that other 30%? Its wasted electricity. So those people are already much lower wattage's than they probably thought.

Another example, if only 1 square foot was utilsed, that 600w wouldn't all be directed on that one square foot under the light. Perhaps 10% would be or 60w. If a square foot was added all around that single square foot there would be an additional 8 square foot making 9 in total. Perhaps 8% of the light hits those additional 8 square feet. So, 8 x 8%= 64% + 10% = 74%. There is still 26% of that light reflecting in the square foots around those original nine.

I have had a previous grow 15 years ago and 600 watt easily illuminates 3.5 x 3.5 with uniform growth. That was with a old ballast and they have improved considerable. Given the fact that there would also be lighting overlap if more than one light was used, coupled with panda film - I have little doubt that a digital ballast and 2 x 600w can provide uniform growth for 10 feet x 5 feet with each light set inwards 2.3 feet and 1.25 feet from the relevant corners.

The above is with using two 600 watts on a 10 x 5 foor space. 3 x 600 on a 15 x 5 foot space has the same light spread and 4 x 600 what on a 20 x 5 foot space. etc

Please remember that the 5th, 10th and 15th square foot is actually in-between two lights (admitably, square foot 0 and 20 are only in-between 1. I believe 1 x 600 watt can light the 5th foot adequately (though be it not as well as the first 9. But, the light from two 600 watts should light that 5th square foot with even less trouble.

Otherwise it seems to be wasted light and electricity not to utilse the entire light spread even if it is not optimal?

I will do a forum on this grow eventually so i guess time will tell.

Cheers

JJ is correct on this. A 600 watt light will produce enough light to effectively cover a 12 square foot area and a 1000 watt will cover roughly 20 square foot. This is the minimum amount of light you want to cover these areas for flowering. You want to place your T5 lights between 6 and 8 inches off of clones and 3 to 5 inches off of veg plants.

The different shape of reflectors does not change the number of photons being release from the bulb. Just because the reflector lights up an area, that does not mean that plants in that are in that area are receiving enough photons to grow effectively or to their fullest potential.

Read through the post in my signature as a basic primer on lighting. If you have more questions or would like something in more detail just ask.

Back
Top Bottom