Feminized vs non Feminized

givemenugs

I know you get a higher rate of females with feminized seeds but you also get more hermaphrodites. Also if you want to be strictly Organic doesn't it go against that spraying your seeds and genetically altering them?

What do you prefer, and why? Thanks for your input.

Silver(reverse) spray is organic isn't it?
I don't think that would cause any problems with an organic classification.

I know you get a higher rate of females with feminized seeds but you also get more hermaphrodites.

Arguable, and depends in large part on the predisposition of the parent stock. Pick ones that have low incidence of hermaphrodism regardless of how you treat them (yeah, I know, enough adversity will send almost any of them into "racial survival mode," but...) and this should be a non-issue.

Also if you want to be strictly Organic doesn't it go against that spraying your seeds

Gibberellic acid is organic, lol - it's got carbon in it. It's C19H22O6. I'd be more likely to use STS or try CS, but that's just me.

and genetically altering them?

You are not genetically-altering them.

It takes... a process (I don't have my science hat on, lol) for the plant to create female flowers. Disturb that process - block the hormone or the hormonal process - and parts (possibly even all) of that plant will instead only be able to produce male flowers.

Err... I think;).

If you self a plant, you've got less genetic material to work with. It's always best to use two "unrelated" members of the same strain but sometimes that is not possible.

What do you prefer, and why? Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

What do you prefer, and why? Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

I really don't have a preference at the moment. Its just something I read and did not know much about so I wanted expert opinions. I just read that feminized seeds are more likely to go hermaphroditic and I had no idea what they are spraying the plants with to feminize them. On the surface I thought non-feminized seeds sounded better but that's probably my lack of knowledge on the subject. I've only had one grow, that was a long time ago and I think the anticipation of smoking my own science experiment got the better of me and I cut the plants way to early.

The nugs turned out stringy and they weren't really the nice tight. plump buds that I was hoping for. I want to try again but before I do I am trying to attain as much info as possible.

OBEWON, Yoda where are you?:adore:
Mold me into thine image....lol
Thanks for all the info, great site. Can't wait till I have something to contribute to the grow journals and stuff....:Namaste:

i grew someWW that was fem and i had to pull bananas out of it the whole time and i was worried id miss some , but out forty or so dif fem strains i grew they were the only ones

If by WW you mean White Widow, I had the same issue with male flowers 15 or so years ago (has it been that long?) on plants that were grown from non-feminized seeds; had to pick some off a few weeks into flowering and then as it got close to the end I saw more appear. Just figured it was kind of prone to it.

Back
Top Bottom