First time grower..any advise would be apperciated

chong420

Hello all..newbie here..i've been reading alot of info. on how to grow..was gonna do outside, but it's kinda creepy, plus the weather isn't up for it just yet, so i decided, lets do it inside..i'm growin in a closet about 4 feet wide, 8 foot in height and 2 feet across..i'm thinking about growing 2 or 3 plants in there..just bought a hanging shop light..and 2 fluro tubes at 40 watts (3400 lumens)..figure i could use this for the vegging stage (will this work?)..while at wally world, i saw that they had some aquarium/ plant growth lights..the package said that it was ideal for flowering since this type of fluoro emmitted the red spectrum, which i know is needed to flower..will this work? i know i should go metal halide or hps, but i'm on a budget..any advice would be great.

Your closet space sounds good, room for 2 or 3 plant arranged around the light. If you are gonna use Flouro for vegging, which isnt bad, use either a mix of cool white and warm white bulbs, or Plant and Aqaurium T5 bulbs available at most outlet stores, Walmart, Canadian Tire Home Depot. If you are gonna use an HID, and I recommend it, then either set up a 400 watt HPS and use it for Flowering, and maybe a few weeks of Veg to get the plants used to the light source. Or Use a 400 watt MH and an HPS conversion bulb. This way you can Veg in true blue MH light, and HPS for flowering. This is what we are doing. Check out our thread, "Room Revamp". We use a combination of Flouro vegging, MH Vegging, and HPS conversion bulbs for flowering. Most of all, experiment, see what works best for you, watch you heat and humidity levels, and try new things, try ideas from toher people, just refine your art, this all becomes a very personal experience thing after awhile. Hope some of this made sense, just got home from work, and smoked a piner of some killer shit, my eyes were starting to water. :cool:

thanks jebus..i was using the fluoro's cuz i didn't want my electric bill to go nuts..will HPS and MH bulbs increase my electric bill?

A 400 watt ballast draws about as much as a microwave or less depending, but a good rule of thumb is you can run about 1000 watts per room without redflagging the electric company. Thats total wattage per room including all other appliances and such.

Back
Top Bottom