FL: Marijuana Dispensary Planned For Pensacola

Katelyn Baker

The first medical marijuana dispensary in the state opened its doors Tuesday in Tallahassee, and the CEO of the dispensing company says a Pensacola location is on the way.

Kim Rivers, CEO of Trulieve, said Wednesday that the company has identified a location within Pensacola city limits, received zoning verification, and is in the permitting phase with the Department of Health. City spokesman Vernon Stewart confirmed that Trulieve had submitted a zoning verification form for 3119 N. Davis Highway.

Rivers said the company would work with architects to plan the necessary security renovations to convert the location into a dispensary. Rivers did not want to speculate when the Pensacola dispensary might open, but said they are "prepared to move as quickly as the process will allow."

"We think it's very important that we're serving patients here in Northwest Florida, so Pensacola is definitely an important market for us," Rivers said.

Trulieve is the dispensing arm of Hackney Nursery Co., one of the state's six licensed medical marijuana growers. Hackney Nursery is just outside of Quincy and was awarded the license for the state's Northwest region. The company currently offers low-THC marijuana treatments, but plans to have full-strength strains available for eligible patients by August.

Trulieve beat out the state's other growers to begin dispensing medical marijuana, getting in first on what's likely to become a lucrative industry. With an amendment on the November ballot that would open up medical marijuana treatments to a much wider range of patients, the dispensary that can grab the biggest market early stands to make a considerable profit. Trulieve already offers statewide delivery and, in addition to Pensacola, its website lists "coming soon" locations in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater and Bradenton.

The North Davis Highway location is zoned industrial, and sits just feet within city limits in City Council District 6. It shares the block with a probation and parole office, the Independence for the Blind headquarters, and Eden Garden Supply. Eden Garden Supply owner Greg Armour said he welcomes the new business.

"I'm sure it will be a well-run organization, so I've got no problem with it," Armour said. "It's something that's coming around so we need it in Pensacola like they do anywhere else. Quite frankly, I welcome a good business to the area."

Likewise, District 6 City Councilman Brian Spencer said he wouldn't oppose the dispensary's opening.

"These dispensaries are for medical purposes only, so I see no reason to be opposed," Spencer said.

credJoeRandone.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Dispensary Planned For Pensacola
Author: Will Isern
Photo Credit: Joe Rondone

Back
Top Bottom