Florida: Morgan Ready To Try Again On Medical Marijuana

Founder
Medical marijuana is making a comeback and could be on the 2016 ballot if Orlando area attorney John Morgan has his way.

Morgan pushed for legislation that appeared on last November's ballot that would have legalized medical marijuana. Fifty-eight percent of voters approved but it needed 60 percent to pass.

So now, Morgan and United for Care are back in business trying to get a new and improved version of the measure approved.

Morgan said, "I listened and learned and heard people's concerns and basically address certain areas where people would say, well this gives immunity to doctors from civil liability. I would say not it doesn't. So this time I spell it out — this does not give civil immunity to doctors."

For Morgan, who many people know through his TV ads and slogan "For the People," this is a very personal mission.

"It's all frivolous until it happens to you," said Tim Morgan, John's brother. "It" happened to Tim Morgan in 1977: A lifeguard accident broke his back. He's now quadriplegic. His excruciating pain has gotten only worse over the decades.

"I had cancer in 2003 and a pacemaker put in two years ago," said Tim Morgan, who claims medical marijuana gets him through the day as director of Morgan and Morgan. "You just break out in a sweat for no reason you smoke pot and it stops. Why? I don't know I don't care. It works."

John Morgan and United for Care need nearly 700,000 signatures of support by Feb 1, 2016. Morgan added that won't be an issue. He has a database of names, numbers, and email addresses of those who signed last time. This time he also pledges to do a better job of educating older voters, "Where we really lost last time were voters 65 and older, especially when they got 75 and over."

And, 2016 is a presidential election year. Typically, there is higher voter turnout, a plus for the measure, according to Morgan.

jar-of-cannabis.jpg

News Moderator: 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Morgan ready to try again on medical marijuana
Author: firstcoastnews.com
Contact: About First Coast News | Jacksonville, FL | Firstcoastnews.com
Photo Credit: David McNew
Website: Jacksonville news, weather, sports and entertainment | Jacksonville, FL - St. Augustine, FL - Brunswick, GA | Firstcoastnews.com

Back
Top Bottom