Flower time

Jackalope

I ran into a common thing in growing yesterday. Perfect timing to bring it up and hash it out. Lots of things are discussed about flower time. At times I think I know things others I am not so sure LOL.

One point of confusion has always been flower time. Early flower, fast maturing where words used often when describing strains. Sounds the same but they can be different. In the end when the plant can be harvested is the only time that really matters. So for years I ignored those little "Key" words of confusion.

A plant can be early flowering and not fast maturing. Or slow to flower but when it starts it goes like gang busters and matures fast. We concentrate so much on the end product that those little things don't matter. They do happen.

Back in the day of breeding strains from land race genetics. Or working to stablize strains these things were considered. Strains were still grown outdoors so this really mattered. Indoors it does not matter as much because we switch right to 12/12 to flower. Perfect idea was a early flower fast maturing strain that would finish before the cops could find them.

I mention this because I had another plant surprise me. Going from flowering to finished in almost days. Full white to full red within a week. It was one of the last to start flowering. I have seen strains that seem to take a month to mature once you get to all red hairs. Just one more of those things about growing that will screw with your head LMAO.

I use a trich scope to gauge the finish. It comes down to a preference of the type of high you want. I like my trichs still on the clear side with just a few clouds. However consensus majority drives an amber and deep cloudy as being the right place. That's couch lock city with Indicas. And I mostly do hybrids and the clearer the trichs the more cerebral the experience.

Like I mentioned. No one pay's any attention to the little things anymore. It is all about the end product. If you can't harvest it tell it is finished, does it really matter how fast it starts or finishes?

That Colombian Gold is still keeping me wondering. It took a huge jump to maturity then slowed back down. Trichomes are clouding up and there are no more white hairs now. Still no amber to speak of. I noticed one early on which might have to do with my thinking and maturity. No more amber as of yet. I am going to take this plant as far as I can so all the terepene's have time to develop. I have a little test bud I will be trying today to confirm my thoughts about terepene's. I want to make sure I don't loose any flavor with it. The high should be all sativa so taking it early for a heady high would be senseless. It is either there or not.

Also a big point of interest is the fact that I am only at week 8 of flower. That is way early for a sativa domanate plant let alone what is supposed to be a land race sativa. Some of this could have to do with the fact it was grown with a 11/13 light schedule. It shouldn't as that is about the amount of natural light they get.

All this will be for not if that test bud does nothing for me. While it may be a little early it is within a harvest window as I have hit cloudy trichomes.

Back
Top Bottom