Fluorescent natural light supplement growth tubes

cannalearna

Does anyone know how well Dr. Ott's, Ott-light plant growth tubes work. They are suppose to have a full spectrum. I read full spectrum lighting runs about 5000k so it's not really full spectrum it's a marketing term. The testimony for the lights say you will grow bigger and faster for growing and blooming. Dr. Ott is the guy who pioneered time lapse photography for Walt Disney. He invented these lights to grow a pumpkin indoors to capture the growth on time lapse photography. We have all just about seen his work in Cinderella. You know the pumpkin that grows into a coach... well that's a real pumpkin growing they turned into a cartoon!

I know that like MJ, other plants look for 6500k for veg and 3000k for bloom. I don't understand how full spectrum lighting can be used for blooming. Stix has advised me that I will be depriving my plants of the spectrum they need for certain phases. I agree with him, but I am very curious on the matter. So if anyone has used a light like Dr.Ott's, could you please share your results? Thank you.

I feel like they use the term FULL spectrum because to the naked eye it appears most balanced indicating it has an even amount of light from each part of the spectrum. However we now that this is not true. While you will probably be able grow something under a 5000K light, if you have the option use the 6500K for veg and 3000K for bloom.

Sorry have not used Dr. Ott's light.

Most modern fluorescent tubes are a blend of monochromatic phosphors. Typically there are 3 phosphor types representing a different spectrum each. So one phosphor may output at 680nm, one at 550nm, and one at 430nm, and the resultant blend gives the appearance of a blend of those spectrums. Your eye mixes them basically. For some tubes, like the Alto brand from Phillips, there are some tubes in the line that have better spectrums than others. For example, the 6500K T8 Alto tubes have a better red in their spectrum than the 4000K tubes in the series do. Only the 3000K tubes have more red, but the 6500K has more PAR value overall. Not all tubes are equal for growing!!!! Some may rate at 3100 lumens at 32W, others at 2800 lumens. It's not always clear which is the better plant tube. A 32W T8 that puts out 2000 lumens could hypothetically stomp a 32W T8 outputting 3500 lumens at plant growth if the spectrum is better. Spectrum is really important.

Relative spectrum graphs can be VERY misleading, but if you're savvy about how they really work, it is a valuable tool. The more non-par output, the more light is simply wasted in the process.

Thanks McBudz and MagicCannabus. That's what I have read. I have decided to try the tubes for vegging then switch to daylights next batch. I have 12 seedlings grown from some swag bud seed. They are 2-3 inches tall at 2 weeks from seed (before new light purchase). I am going to post the results when I can. I am also using a 60 watt spot grow incandescent (mainly for heat) and a 70 watt hps I just purchased at lowes for like $30 (bulb included). Do you know of a good hps bulb or will the one the light came with do just fine, also what kind of results will a 70 watt hps light in a 6'x4' room produce (roughly). Thanks again.

Hey no problem.

For starters I think you're underestimating the amount of light you need very badly. It's ok, most people do. A 70W HPS is really only adequate for a single square foot, maybe a bit more. You're going to need a minimum of 50watts per square foot of HID light, and at least 70W per square foot of fluorescent(tubes are more efficient than CFLs though). In my cabinet, I'm using 145W per square foot for flowering.

See my thread for some idea how I'm using tubes most efficiently. My advice though is to really reconsider such a big grow space. 6'x4' is huge for a beginning grow. This most recent grow of mine is actually downsized from previous grows. There's no sense in being greedy. Besides, a good perpetually arrangement would provide a steady supply of bud.

Here is that link:
Using T8 shop lights to the extreme

I guess I don't understand. I thought you went by lumens, not watts. I thought you need 2000 lumens per square foot. I do understand my room is way to big for my lights though. I really got the HPS for the next stage, but I thought it could only help to run now. I plan to stuff the room with fluoros and build another for the HPS lighting. I prefer a bigger veg room and a smaller bloom room I think. It's all for me.

Dr. Ott Plant Growth Tubes working out so far...I think. 2 weeks @ 3 inches, with 1 set of pointy leaves about half an inch long with no sign of new set.

Lumens are a measurement geared toward the human eye. Plants, and a lot of animals don't see in quite the same spectrum we do. Cats don't see red very well for example, but they can see UV-A bands we cannot. Plants, instead of the spectrum shifted one way or the other, instead ignore the very middle of our visible spectrum. It isn't useful to them, not much anyway. They just use red, and blue. They're green because that's the light color they don't absorb.

I am eager to hear more about the Ott Plant Growth Tubes though. If you can ever post pics and keep us updated that would be appreciated :)

I don't know how I feel about posting pics... you know how it is... Sorry. I will keep posting updates though.

My plants are favoring the Ott-Lite, even the plants directly under my "daylight" CFL's. I want to get some more, but I want to find T8's. The Home Depot only had them in T12's. They are kind of expensive though @ $10 each. I also wish they would say how much the lumen output is and the spectrum range.

I noticed on Boss's Poor Boy Grow that he used the Ott-Lite and from the posted pics it seems he had great success in the veg stage at least. Still to early to tell for me, but for 2-3 weeks of using the light (20 plants under 2, 4 foot , 40 watt, tubes) no stretching. Light says full spectrum, but I've only detected blue light (using only my eyes though) in comparison of other color lights.

3500K is generally not a good target color temperature. It's right in the middle of the color spectrum where chlorophyll barely absorbs any light.

so you're saying i need 6500k? becuase the store only had a 20w cfl that shoots out 70w and it has 6500k color but only has 1150 lumens...

Like i really having a hard time trying to get a good light. 1 person says get this then come around another person says no get this.... Like im confused...

My grow space isnt that big...and im only growin 1 plant.

Here is the thread where im limited to lights at my store. Light/soil shopping?

Erk202 it's roughly 2000 lumens per square foot. 6500k (daylight) for veg and 2700k (soft white) for bud. Always keep your lights as close as you can without burning your plant by the heat from the lights.

well since im going in 12/12 from seed, then i guess a 40w(150w) with 2600 lumens and 2700k color would be good to start me off. (But soon i will be adding another CFL with 6500k color and 1150 lumens.)
Alright, i get it now.. :thanks: guys...

Well I have made up my mind, the Ott Natural light tubes are not worth the money. Plants are stretching with lights 4 inches above while other plants are doing better under three 14w CFLs at same distance. One Ott-Lite plant got a foot tall with barely it's first set of leaves.

I've been had! I could have bought another ballast, 2 daylight tubes, and a cup of coffee for what I paid the Ott-Lite. Live and Learn!

Back
Top Bottom