Forcing seedlings to be female

vintner

Hey all: Is there any truth to the the myths I've read that say that if I start my seedlings in a pot that's at least 4 inches deep, that I will end up w/a higher percentage of females? Has anyone had any luck w/this or any other method of getting a higher percentage of female plants?

lol there is no sure thing... there is one way to make sure you get a female is causing low stress on the plant from seed to to end of harvest, by stress means overwatering, underwatering, overfertizling, and high temp above 88F. There is no way of making a seed female its a 50/50 chance, you can buy female seeds but it only 99% chance of being female and 1% chance of male...the less stress on the plant the more likely it will turn to be a female.

hope the helps

Its true. The more comfort the plant has (less stress) the better the ratio for more females. Why would you think putting a plant in a container of anysize would effect its sex? This more of a science than some type of voodoo.
The reason people start plant in small containers then transplant to larger containers is to :
1 save space, not all plants will be strong and some might die.
2 helps the plant form a larger root system buy utilizing its soil space.
But I can tell you it has nothing to do with sex.

urdedpal said:
This more of a science than some type of voodoo.

Was not trying to imply that I believe it's some sort of magic or "voodoo" dude. It's something I read and wanted to find out if anyone here has heard of it, tried it, and if so, if it was true or not.
What I read said that growers in Russia (think it was) had an 80% female to male ratio, and they boiled it down to the fact that they started their crop in 4" pots as oppsed to smaller containers. Maybe it also has something to do w/not stressing the plant too though.
Just gathering info.
Vin

Back
Top Bottom