Former Paw Paw Teacher Scot Granke Facing March Trial On Medical Marijuana Operation

The General

In the midst of a contentious divorce and custody battle, Scot Granke moved out of his Bangor home in June, leaving behind a medical-marijuana grow operation in a locked barn, according to recent court testimony. Granke -- then a Paw Paw Middle School teacher -- tended to the operation sporadically after that, and by late August, many of the plants were yellowed and some were dying, according to a transcript released today of Granke's Dec. 18 preliminary exam in South Haven District Court.

But police raided the operation on Aug. 21 after Granke's estranged wife, Marlene, called authorities, saying she thought the size of the operation violated Granke's license as a medical-marijuana grower. Two members of Michigan State Police's Southwest Enforcement Team searched the barn on Aug. 21, finding 66 plants, between 20 jars of marijuana processed as hashish and hashish butter, and more than 10 pounds of marijuana leaves and stems in trash bags, Trooper Evan Hauger testified at the Dec. 8 hearing.

Hauger said the medical-marijuana law does not allow for processing of hash and the numbers of plants violated Granke's license. Based on Hauger's testimony, South Haven District Judge Arthur Clarke found probable cause that Granke should face trial on one count of manufacturing marijuana and one count of manufacturing hash, both felonies. That trial is scheduled for March 4 in Van Buren Circuit Court before Judge Kathleen Brickley. Granke, 51, also is facing four misdemeanor counts of possessing an unlicensed handgun.

Granke resigned last month from his Paw Paw teaching job, Paw Paw officials said Thursday. He was put on leave in August after his arrest. Granke did not testify at the Dec. 18 hearing, but his estranged wife did. Marlene Granke testified that she initially helped Granke with the medical-marijuana operation but became increasingly opposed to the business. After Granke moved out of the home and "abandoned" his family, she testified, she became increasingly worried about the grow operation, which was in a locked barn that she didn't have access to.

"It wasn't just because there was too many plants, it was the fact that all the people in Bangor knew that we were growing," she testified. "I had become scared. I was afraid for my family. And I was scared that somebody was going to break in and kill us." In his testimony, Hauger said Granke told police that he thought his grow operation adhered to the law. "Mr. Granke stated that he is not a drug dealer" Hauger testified. "He helps people with legitimate problems. He explained to us he doesn't see people with just chronic pain as we often see. He sees people with life threatening and seriously debilitating conditions. He prided himself in his abilities to create what he called sub-lingual mouth drops which I imagine are some of the liquid things as well as the hash and hash oil."

However, Hauger testified, Granke had let his own medical-marijuana card expire and could produce cards for only three of the five patients he claimed. Granke told authorities that he knew he was limited in the number of marijuana plant he could have -- 12 per patient -- but thought only plants with buds were included in that count. Hauger said that the law actually covers any "usable marijuana," whether or not the plant has buds.

Hauger said that also included the marijuana leaves and stems in the trash bags. He also said between the plants, the marijuana in the bags and the processed hash, Granke was clearly out of compliance with his medical-marijuana license. Granke's attorney, John Frost of South Haven, acknowledged there was enough probable cause in the case to send to to circuit court.

But he also suggested that much of the processed marijuana was infested with mites; the leaves and stems in the trash bags were waste from processing the hash and meant to be thrown out, and many of the plants were yellowed and dying. Hauger said he didn't know about the mite infestation and it was unclear whether the materials in the trash bags were waste -- adding that it only mattered it was "usable" marijuana.

On a question from Frost about the condition of the plants, Hauger said some "were obviously probably too far gone to be brought back. Many other still had enough green where I think if they were exposed to light and water would probably return to being healthy plants." Hauger said six of the 66 plants "had kind of shriveled up in their roots, kind of disintegrated so the lab told us we can't count these as plants."

Cannabis-factory.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Mlive.com
Author: Julie Mack
Website: Former Paw Paw teacher Scot Granke facing March trial on medical-marijuana operation | MLive.com

Re: Former Paw Paw Teacher Scot Granke Facing March Trial On Medical Marijuana Operat

Bitches be crazy.

Re: Former Paw Paw Teacher Scot Granke Facing March Trial On Medical Marijuana Operat

Interesting case... that's not too far from me. I will have to watch and see what happens.

It's amazing to read about what you supposedly had in your grow. If I had that much hash and weed it wouldn't have been left behind, that is for sure. The plants were all dead, not dried but dead. The ex would call the cops every time I stopped to care for it or visit my kids. She loved the grow when it was paying her to work or when she was on vacation. She reported me to work and cost me my job as well. She turned in my Guns as well, some of which were my daughters first guns that I bought them. Bottom line she became the spouse everyone's dreads, a vengeful, lying person.

She was afraid of the guns? She is ex military, held a concealed pistol permit and used to shoot with me. Odd she would be afraid of guns and mess. The unregistered gun belonged to my dead mother and was a keepsake not a weapon. I also lost guns from my father and grandfather. I hope the day comes she realizes what she has done or better yet, the day karma kicks her ass.

I have plead to failure to report to the school of being charged with a felony. All guns and grow equipment are seized. 3 weekends of work, and over 800 dollars in fines. The charge I plead to was a felony, so no caregiving of course.

Have a great day all and kiss your meds for me lol

The first rule of growing marijuana----

Always do everything by yourself. Then there is no one to blame or accuse. You can suffer your losses, mourn for a short time, then start over with a fresh attitude. When others are involved, especially family or friends, you risk unresolved pain and suffering for years, possibly decades. These things can be avoided with a little pre-planning.
A lot of people like to talk about the "good ol' days" but fail to factor in "the bad ol' days"...

He knew the bitch wanna to do him in, he was suppose to handle that then diss the bitch.

Wow! Abandon your wife, your kids, AND your pot plants! Throw that guy in the slammer and throw away the key! (Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman...or, sin semilla femanina!)

Interesting case... that's not too far from me. I will have to watch and see what happens.

Paw Paw is about 20 miles away from where I live.

This dude made a serious mistake by not getting rid of all his plant material. I mean, anytime I ever got a whiff of anybody possibly having information about my plants I would immediately go take action to remedy the situation. I have pulled plants before; even though I was just being paranoid but hey, at least I never got ripped or went to jail because of a patch being found; [because it wasn't there].
That being said we do not know what type of situation this dude was in so we cannot judge him in that respect; but we can point out the errors we think he made so that others do not make the same mistakes. Or at the least they can weigh the benefits against the consequences and make an informed decision of whether to even start growing or not. I mean let's face it, we've all got a buddy or two that just plain either sucks at growing or is just plain stupid when it comes to growing or obtaining weed, so we have to take him under our wing and supply him with weed for his entire life so he does not end up in jail, but at the same time make him feel like he can grow weed but that it's just better to let the "experts" do all the work. Thereby comes into play the "Tester Patch". This is the obligatory patch for those who cannot control themselves and simply must harvest a few buds before they are ready, and, for taking dumbish buddies out to show them "our patch" and not worry if they slip up and tell somebody about it when they are high or drunk [don't worry, they will]. So if somebody rips off the spot or you have to have some [too] early buds then this "Tester Patch" fits that bill.
So the point being... This guy made some mistakes and we can point them out and learn from them, but we cannot judge what was, or is, in his heart.

Back
Top Bottom