Germinating stubborn hybrids

Grower2020

Is a heat mat a game changer for germinating stubborn hard husk seeds?
I just bred my first batch of feminised seeds with great success. I turned 20 into 200 :)
Anyway.... As the seeds I bought had the same problem. Nice fresh big space ship seeds soaked in room temp water for 10-12 days in the dark and only 3 out of 25 spat a tap root. I'm thinking a heat mat might be a game changer for softening the husk quicker?

10 days is an eternity. I usually do 24-48 hours. I would not be at all surprised if you drowned the seeds before they even had a chance. Once they sink to the bottom of the water cup they should be planted within a day at most.
you can't drown them if the water doesn't penetrate the shell. As long as you pull the germinated seeds out when they first throw a tap root your fine. Leaving them in water until germinated is a common highly recommended method for sprouting stubborn seeds.

you can't drown them if the water doesn't penetrate the shell. As long as you pull the germinated seeds out when they first throw a tap root your fine. Leaving them in water until germinated is a common highly recommended method for sprouting stubborn seeds.

Correct. If they're still floating they won't drown. Once they sink they're full of water.

Aussie land race strain..no worries mate.. Chuck them in any soil, keep it wet and three days later they are up n out of the dirt. However the seed I'm having trouble germinating had been climatised to critical conditions of germination over ten years or more.
Indoor breeding weakens the germination process in the wild .i know indoor is all the go.... But it's destroying the true origin of the plants

Attachments

• 15869328543001748776434.jpg
    15869328543001748776434.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 21
The h202 bath mentioned above is one way, a light acid bath is another. Scuffing or scarifying are a couple of other ways. Some plants just make tough ass seeds one way or another you'll get em to open up.
Yes tried scuffing etc... Tried many many many methods and they do germinate. But they are tough as nails

the way I get "hard" seeds to sprout. I wrap them in a wet paper towel then put it in a ziplock sandwich bag. then put on a sunny window. works in about 3 days

Back
Top Bottom