Germination question

MongoGardner

I have 5 AK47 autoflower seeds that have failed to germ (pack of 5). I would question my method, but the 3 freebie seeds (two big buds and a northern light) all sprouted on day #2 and #3 using the exact same method. I'm now ending day 5 of in the soil with no sprout from them. I actually sacrificed one of the 5 and dug it up to see if maybe there was some slow crack/tap root/sprout action going on under the soil that I couldn't see--nope, fully intact seed was down there.

I know that at day 5 it's not hopeless, but my experience is if you don't get germ by day 4 or 5 it's usually pretty hopeless. It's not like I'm dealing with a straggler here, they're 0 for 5 and the other seedlings already have leaves growing.

This is my 3rd go round with cannabis seeds and this method has worked in excess of 90% for me historically (out of 14 seeds total, I've had 1 failure to germ). Plus, I've been growing vegetable gardens from seed for the many years. Is it possible I screwed up or something went awry? Sure..but I guess what I'm getting at is this statement/question: I feel pretty confident that I got a bad batch of seeds--either they were old or got warehouse heat baked for too long, or something. I plan on contacting the vendor regardless of feedback here, but what are your thoughts? Should I expect amends from the vendor, or not, or maybe if I'm lucky?

Here's my germ technique that I used:
  • Soak in water for 24 hours in a small cup. This was placed in a dark area of my entertainment center where it was warm--ambient temp 82 degrees.
  • I DON'T wait for the tap root, placed seeds pointed end down in jiffy pellets, cover it somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4". A couple of the seeds I couldn't tell the pointed end which I placed on their sides (this has worked fine for me in the past, I think one of the ones that did sprout was put in on its side).
  • Left pellets in the Jiffy bubbler under a 2' T5 about 15" away. 80 degrees next to the bubbler.

Candid thoughts/feedback appreciated.

Welcome MongoG!

That's a tough question. First, yes contact the vendor for sure. I've heard great things about seed vendors making it right for their customers.

I've never tried your method of germination. I'm a plain white paper towel/ziplock baggy guy. I would be 90% positive in saying it was a bad batch of non viable seeds. Seeing how you've had success previously.

I have no experience with autos but I'm sure they should pop just as fast as any 'normal' seed.

Good luck to ya! Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully you'll get some new beans to make things right :thumb:

Thanks for the reply YardDog. Once I explained my situation to the vendor (Herbies), they were very accommodating and we quickly reached an agreeable solution. Props to them for helping address my issue when it was something that they have no control over.

To be more specific, the breed/strain I had the trouble with was Lowlife/Automatic AK47. I don't know if just this batch was bad, or if the strain itself has inherent problems, but I feel pretty confident saying that the trouble was with the seeds. Seeing how much success I've had with seeds over the years, if I DID do something wrong or that was disagreeable to these seeds in particular, they should have special instructions..

Take care

I have had exactly the same problem - 0 out of 5 germinations- tried contacting the supplier but they tell me they only sell their seeds as souvenirs and not for growing??? - I would say they are definitely of substandard quality, I have never had a problem germinating seeds before.

I have 5 AK47 autoflower seeds that have failed to germ (pack of 5). I would question my method, but the 3 freebie seeds (two big buds and a northern light) all sprouted on day #2 and #3 using the exact same method. I'm now ending day 5 of in the soil with no sprout from them. I actually sacrificed one of the 5 and dug it up to see if maybe there was some slow crack/tap root/sprout action going on under the soil that I couldn't see--nope, fully intact seed was down there.

I know that at day 5 it's not hopeless, but my experience is if you don't get germ by day 4 or 5 it's usually pretty hopeless. It's not like I'm dealing with a straggler here, they're 0 for 5 and the other seedlings already have leaves growing.

This is my 3rd go round with cannabis seeds and this method has worked in excess of 90% for me historically (out of 14 seeds total, I've had 1 failure to germ). Plus, I've been growing vegetable gardens from seed for the many years. Is it possible I screwed up or something went awry? Sure..but I guess what I'm getting at is this statement/question: I feel pretty confident that I got a bad batch of seeds--either they were old or got warehouse heat baked for too long, or something. I plan on contacting the vendor regardless of feedback here, but what are your thoughts? Should I expect amends from the vendor, or not, or maybe if I'm lucky?

Here's my germ technique that I used:
  • Soak in water for 24 hours in a small cup. This was placed in a dark area of my entertainment center where it was warm--ambient temp 82 degrees.
  • I DON'T wait for the tap root, placed seeds pointed end down in jiffy pellets, cover it somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4". A couple of the seeds I couldn't tell the pointed end which I placed on their sides (this has worked fine for me in the past, I think one of the ones that did sprout was put in on its side).
  • Left pellets in the Jiffy bubbler under a 2' T5 about 15" away. 80 degrees next to the bubbler.

Candid thoughts/feedback appreciated.

I had the same exact problem while trying to germinate the exact same way. I had 1 White Widow and 3 King Kong. None germinated after 3 weeks. A sponsor on here sold me the seeds and they will make it right with me. I really appreciate them helping out when they probably wouldn't need to. I got 2 Skunk on the plate now to see if they will pop. Using ph'd water on a seed mat @ 83 degrees in the dark. Come on Skunk Weed, Lets stink up the place.

When I was at the Subcool School of Dank, we talked in depth about seeds and germination. I was told by several people to use rapid rooters. I flip them upside down to the hole and flat side of the rapid rooter is facing down. Then, poke a new hole in the other side of the rapid rooter. I soaked the rapid rooter in a solution of rooting hormone and water. I squeezed out some of the water. I then placed the seeds in a cup of water to wet the outside. I then rolled them in the rooting hormone. I pushed them into the rapid rooter with the pointy end of the seed pointing down. I then push them a 1/4 inch into the rapid rooter. I place them into a humidity dome and mist the dome. I then tape the edges of the dome so it can't be opened (very important to leave them the hell alone).

The first batch of seeds I planted were Querkle from TGA Genetics Subcool Seeds. I planted them on Tuesday and they were all sprouted and an inch tall by Sunday afternoon. Don't know if it was the seeds or the technique that made them sprout so well. But, I'm sold on both the seeds and technique. Works very well for me.

Try to keep the temps right at 75 degrees. Any cooler and they tend to not want to grow. Higher temps can make them think about being a male.

I've had the same with 5 Acapulco Gold Feminised Seeds from Barneys Farm. I think it's just luck of the draw sometimes & genetics may come into it as I've had some that crack & fail to send out the root and others that fail on their 1st leaf cycle whilst others thrive with the identical treatment.

I have had exactly the same problem - 0 out of 5 germinations- tried contacting the supplier but they tell me they only sell their seeds as souvenirs and not for growing??? - I would say they are definitely of substandard quality, I have never had a problem germinating seeds before.
Wouldn't buy my seeds from them again...

Back
Top Bottom