Germination To Sexing: How Soon?

Ravenplume

For this year's grow, I have decided to put off trying to mate a pair of sibling seeds to get my first baseline strain, as I call it, and instead, make up for the loss of my top three performing plants to maleness by letting the little ladies, Wildfire and Bessie fully flower and bud without being pollinated, just like their big sister Tinkerbell. I figured that Wildfire's flowers are already looking quite nice (and I will update that grow journal soon), and it would be a shame to not add her surprisingly ample for her size output to this year's haul. I can't really tell how Bessie is doing, since she is so easily hidden by Wildfire, but I will get into the enclosure tomorrow for a closer look.

I figure that since we are starting to utilize the basement grow facility, and since I have so many sibling seeds to work with, I should be able to get a make and female germinated and raised to where they can be sexed in time for an early planting. Runt flowering early, because I think he went through the Spring Equinox, got me thinking that if a male can flower early like that, why not a female? And if I keep them in pots outside instead of planting them in the ground, then perhaps I can actually get an early special grow before the main planting time, special in that these two will be serving the purpose of just providing seeds, and possibly in time (if not a little late) for growing out that year as well.

Since it is a crapshoot what any given seed will be though, I am going to need to be able to raise them to where they can be sexed as soon as possible, at least until I have a confirmed male and female. That said, from the moment the taproot shows, what is the earliest it is possible to sex a plant? I am guessing that as long as the plant is in the styrofoam cup stage, it will still be too tender and immature to be sexed? Or is it possible to identify one that is at, for example, this point in its development?

Wildling-2019-01.JPG

Or would it be possible at this point, aka after an upgrade from a cup to a pot?

RPW2019-05.JPG

Just looking for ways to expedite this little side project for...reasons. But if it just takes a little more patience and a little longer to achieve my objective, I can be patient.

Hello & welcome @Ravenplume, these girls need time just be patient and keep doing water your doing! Sex normally shows week 4 to week 6. It depends on plants health and strain really. You got a good pot going for your big one but id get those ones that are in cups small pots. Do you ph your water? What kinda soil are you using?

Those were just example pictures from this year's grow to illustrate the couple different stages of development I was inquiring about worthiness for sexing. And is that that 4 to 6 weeks after they have been put in dirt, or from the time the taproot shows?

as johnny mentioned,, four to six weeks,, tho i would say five to six weeks,, and a bit longer for some sativas,, cheers friend

and that is from shoot showin itself,, and gotta look super close at that to see the sex,, and then ya gotta know which is which,, and that can be told right away,, just gotta know the dif

For this year's grow, I have decided to put off trying to mate a pair of sibling seeds to get my first baseline strain, as I call it, and instead, make up for the loss of my top three performing plants to maleness by letting the little ladies, Wildfire and Bessie fully flower and bud without being pollinated, just like their big sister Tinkerbell. I figured that Wildfire's flowers are already looking quite nice (and I will update that grow journal soon), and it would be a shame to not add her surprisingly ample for her size output to this year's haul. I can't really tell how Bessie is doing, since she is so easily hidden by Wildfire, but I will get into the enclosure tomorrow for a closer look.

I figure that since we are starting to utilize the basement grow facility, and since I have so many sibling seeds to work with, I should be able to get a make and female germinated and raised to where they can be sexed in time for an early planting. Runt flowering early, because I think he went through the Spring Equinox, got me thinking that if a male can flower early like that, why not a female? And if I keep them in pots outside instead of planting them in the ground, then perhaps I can actually get an early special grow before the main planting time, special in that these two will be serving the purpose of just providing seeds, and possibly in time (if not a little late) for growing out that year as well.

Since it is a crapshoot what any given seed will be though, I am going to need to be able to raise them to where they can be sexed as soon as possible, at least until I have a confirmed male and female. That said, from the moment the taproot shows, what is the earliest it is possible to sex a plant? I am guessing that as long as the plant is in the styrofoam cup stage, it will still be too tender and immature to be sexed? Or is it possible to identify one that is at, for example, this point in its development?

Wildling-2019-01.JPG

Or would it be possible at this point, aka after an upgrade from a cup to a pot?

RPW2019-05.JPG

Just looking for ways to expedite this little side project for...reasons. But if it just takes a little more patience and a little longer to achieve my objective, I can be patient.

The frog is a female, I can see her tits! lol

Wildling-2019-01.JPG

RPW2019-05.JPG

Use coco. All in one pot put like 20 cuttings an inch or two away from each other. Rooting gel and keep moist and mist several times a day.Keep a dome over em for a week. As soon as you see roots transplant into solo cups or whatever you want to grow in.

It's really too late for the cuttings method at this point. I am just going to germinate 4 seeds at a time using what I call the Darkwater method or Two Seeds One Cup, like I usually do, and get them in styrofoam cups as soon as I feel their taproots are long enough. They will be kept under a sun lamp in my office upstairs as normal until they are ready for potting or can be sexed, whichever comes first.

Back
Top Bottom