<Good Pics> Can any diagnose these plants?

TwistinginTO

Summary
I was given some seeds from a friend in Quebec and I wanted to grow them this winter, cut some clones, sex them, and plant baby girls outside in the spring.
About one month after sprouting the older leaves started yellowing. I flushed then first thing, and gave them only water for a week, it only got worse and spread to more plants.
It got so bad it looked that all the plants would die for certain, so I cut all the growth shoots from all the plants, and got them started on rooting. The remains of the plants went into 12/12 light, hoping I might catch a glimpse of their sexes before they died.
The baby cuttings, although showing signs of rooting, have followed their parents in this yellowing and dyeing of the leaves. They have only gotten water (2 weeks) until a few days ago when they received nutrition from a foliar spray of Foxfarm Growbig at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (rec. dose).
All advice and opinions are welcome, but those with supporting information will be especially appreciated.
What Strain is it?
Guerilla's Gusto, TNR, Shaman and Durban Poison.

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Hybrid, mostly Sativa (Outdoor Strains)

How Many Plants?
Originally ten, but when those plants died of the same thing I cut all the shoots to try to clone, now about 50 cuttings only left.

Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
Vegetative.

If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
The seed sprouted on the parents about 2 months ago in December. The cuttings where taken from them 2 weeks ago.

Indoor or Outdoor?
Growing Indoor, outdoor strains.

Soil or Hydro?
Soil. I think the initial mixture was poor. It was topsoil from a local nursery, cut with perlite. During waterings, the water moved through the container and out the bottom, and soil looked "moist / muddy". I am switching to 1 part Schultz Premium Potting Soil plus and 2 parts Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss.

If Soil... What Size Pot?
7 gallon plastic garbage can (the kitchen type) with holes drilled in the bottom for irrigation.

Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
One duel bulb ballast with (2) t12-40 Watt bulbs; 4 foot length (I had 1 of these lights per 5 parent plants during their initial veg. stage).

Is it Air Cooled?
No.

Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
68° Fahrenheit (20° Celsius) to 78° Fahrenheit (25.5° Celsius). Mean temperature of house.

PH of Medium or Reservoir?
Haven't got the equipment to test PH yet.

Any Pests?
Yes. I noticed small black flies hanging around, but not the leaves. I did notice the bugs crawling in the soil. I treated them with Garden Dust and Schultz insect spray (as directed).
How Often are you Watering?
4 out of 7 days a week.

Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Initially I used Maxicrop Liquid Seaweed, I used a 1/2 capful to a gallon of water, and feed them twice a week with this (recommended is 1 capful once a week). I gave them straight (unchecked) tap water waterings in between feedings.
When the very first leaves began to yellow, more than a month ago, I thought perhaps they were not getting the right nutrients, so I changed to Foxfarm Growbig. I fed them at 3/4 teaspoon per gallon, 3x a week, with water in between.

Size or Square Footage of Room?
The grow area is about 10 square feet, the room it is in is about 20x20 feet.
5 out of ten for ventilation.

Tray-1-at-2-7-09.JPG

Bag-seeds-at-2-7-09.JPG

under-lights-1.jpg

my-supplies.JPG

The black flies that you've seen are fungus gnats . The larvae live in the soil and feed on the roots . Have they been eliminated ? If not try some fly paper laid across the top of the soil or sticky traps to catch and kill the adults . These pests prefer moist soil to lay their eggs in , so limit your watering to as little as possible . Another friend of mine told me one way to kill the larvae was to submerge the soil in water for 20 to 30 minutes in order to drown the larvae . I don't know if this will work or not because if there are any adults left they will then just redeposit another load of eggs in the moist soil . It's a problem that I have also experienced in the past.:smokin:

they are young.. but they look hungry.

Potting soil should carry you about 4 weeks but after that you'll need to start looking at ferts.

See how the discoloration starts at the outside of the leaves and works in, I;ve always been told that that signals a deffecincy (sp?) sometimes it;s lack of nutes, sometimes its a lock out.

Anything that has roots and looks like that i would hit with a foliar spray of something heavy in nitrogen, and start with 1/4 strength nutes and work from there.

Keep in mind old leaves don't heal... you'll have to wait for new growth to see.

by the way... those are great pictures.

Bugs: Yeah, I think they are fungas gnats also, and had hoped they were the downfall of my parent plants. I treated them and all but one or two died (was only maybe 5 or 6 total). I DON'T think that is the problem though, and here is why. Would those flies damage plants with no root system yet? These yellowing cuttings have no roots to speak of yet, and are under plastic with no flies, but they are suffering the same fate.
---------------------------------------------------------
I think they look like a nute def. also, but i heard u shouldnt feed plants your rooting.

Thanks about my pics, figured more info, and better the info the better the help.

But would a topsoil rich medium (well all topsoil, little perlite) be deficient in anything? Those plants in the pic that are planted in soil are bag seeds. I just planted them as I had the system up and running, but they are suffering the same thing so put them up.

Interesting side note:

The parent plants are under different lights now, getting less care, and doing better. They are under a little grow light thing i made up containing 3 squares of 255 LED lights from LED Wholesalers with a bloom emphasis, but still has blue LED) and a couple of 3 foot single florescent lights. One plant even shot new growth about 4 inches in a week.

I will get some pics next light cycle.

Any thoughts?

with many comercial soils after about 4 weeks of straight water many of the solids that where available to dissolve in moisture and be uptaken by the plant have been washed out.

You shouldn't over water plants yer trying to root...

the exact recipe very's person to person and seems personal, speaking for myself personaly of course....

my recipe...

Feed moms heavy 1 week before cut... to build up stored nutrients in vegitation. nutrients=nutrition=energy=something to make roots with. it needs the mineral building blocks of cell walls to make roots...food.

if they start to yellow on me i'll do a light nitrogen foliar spray, or water with 1/8 -1/4 strength bloom, depending on how well i know the plant.

bloom cuz its the same stuff that makes roots, nitro cuz it makes stuff green..

I prefer foliar because...

Water...

very carefull with water, keep in a humid enviroment, but let the media dry out some between waterings. theoreticly the plant will have enough moisture to survive... while it's roots reach for the water.

But I aint a soil god either... hydro is so much nicer to controll.

take some pics of that box... I wanna see!

If those bulbs are say f40t12cw or 4700k go get some some DX anything with a color temp of 6500k, the lummen counts are misleading.

with many comercial soils after about 4 weeks of straight water many of the solids that where available to dissolve in moisture and be uptaken by the plant have been washed out.

You shouldn't over water plants yer trying to root...

the exact recipe very's person to person and seems personal, speaking for myself personaly of course....

my recipe...

Feed moms heavy 1 week before cut... to build up stored nutrients in vegitation. nutrients=nutrition=energy=something to make roots with. it needs the mineral building blocks of cell walls to make roots...food.

if they start to yellow on me i'll do a light nitrogen foliar spray, or water with 1/8 -1/4 strength bloom, depending on how well i know the plant.

bloom cuz its the same stuff that makes roots, nitro cuz it makes stuff green..

I prefer foliar because...

Water...

very carefull with water, keep in a humid enviroment, but let the media dry out some between waterings. theoreticly the plant will have enough moisture to survive... while it's roots reach for the water.

But I aint a soil god either... hydro is so much nicer to controll.

take some pics of that box... I wanna see!

If those bulbs are say f40t12cw or 4700k go get some some DX anything with a color temp of 6500k, the lummen counts are misleading.

Ok. I made a 1/4 str foliar spray, but how OFTEN do i use it? In the begining i thought u misted them 5-8 times a day to keep them from fdrying out. How many of these should be with nutes?

Could you explain to me a little more about the lights? I dont understand what yhou mean (or are talking about) but I want to.

Back
Top Bottom