GOP Senators Kill Veterans Cannabis Research Bill

garybo

A bipartisan bill directing the VA to conduct research into the medical potential of cannabis for military veterans was blocked from advancing by a procedural vote in the U.S. Senate.

Lobbying had everything to do with it! 12 year Marine vet here who was sent to Iraq, the coast of Somalia, and Afghanistan. Doesn't matter what you did overseas, something is coming back with you. Whether you're an individual who's taken the time to unpack the realities of it all or someone who hasn't had the time because of life's complexities, pain and darkness found us in war. I'll gladly accept my role in that pain and darkness.
I can say the only services provided to myself from the VA are talking with a therapist online (not one face to face) and the option to take Benzodiazepines. I'll also say that the only time I can't remember what happened the night before was the result of benzodiazepines. I thought I fell asleep watching basketball on the couch. Apparently, I turned into some kind of wild animal that went shopping at the grocery store late that night. I filled my friends fridge to full capacity and can't recall one minute of this. Luckily, I let my friend drive my truck that night, which I never did, because I said was more messed up more than I have ever been. 1 pill took me there. I can tell you I've remembered every night I have used cannabis and I'm someone who doesn't have a problem taking a 250mg edible to the house. The only thing that might happen there is a 12 hour nap.
I often tell people that cannabis gives me the ability to say "F it" in regards to intrusive thoughts and the chance to go about my day. But, no matter what, those experiences will be with me forever. I don't want the ability to forget, I just want the opportunity to have a normal day! Cannabis often gives me that.
With almost half of the U.S. budget going towards "defense" you'd think the healthcare system is responsible for a big portion of that budget. I'm guessing budget numbers might reflect that but my reality doesn't. I can't speak for others stories and I do not intend to downplay some other veterans VA success story. There are beautiful people within the VA trying to help people like me. Just thought I'd share and thanks Garybo for sharing the political facts that often go unnoticed.
How many others could be helped out there who never went to war? The abused and assaulted women or children of the world. Give them the ability to say F it and go on with their day!

@RedTejas, thank you for your service.

A nephew of mine, also a marine, injured his back when the vehicle he was riding in was turned over by an IED while in Afghanistan. Similiar to your meds given to him by the Corps medics, sent him to "la-la" land as well.
Upon discharge he visited the VA in Louisville and was told "off the record" by one of the doctors to quit the meds and start injesting marijuana for his discomfort, which he did. And like you, it proved to help his discomfort without the after-effects.

"A veteran - whether active duty, or retired, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including their life."

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

@garybo Thank you.

I can't imagine how many stories have played out like your nephew behind the scenes. I've only recently been able to put my experience into words and I hope that he can do the same. You seem very understanding of his story and having a family member who just listens can make the difference for a veteran out there.
I always thought I'd be more successful upon leaving the military. But now I realize a lack of true healthcare for the invisible wounds has cost me more than I could ever imagine. I just wish people could sit down and have these real conversations. Instead, we get the GOP preaching reefer madness and voting against a plant they don't understand or simply voting with their party. Yet they'll vote for a substance that actually kills people? Just a quick side note on politics. I spent just as much time in war zone under Democratic leadership as I did with a Republic leadership. The whole thing really does seem like it's a system where you wait your turn to get lobbied.
Take care today all and I hope the system doesn't get you down. If it does, a quick toke might not make you give a damn about those haters.

A bipartisan bill directing the VA to conduct research into the medical potential of cannabis for military veterans was blocked from advancing by a procedural vote in the U.S. Senate.

What do you expect from them when they take millions from big pharmaceutical corporations and the religious right. They should all rot in hell. CL🍀

My time in service forever turned me off of Republicans, Democrats, and America. I don’t even send my kids to school any more it’s sickened me so much.

@Keffka I totally understand how you've come to be turned off from America. It's a terrible feeling when the society you're forced to live in has almost no sharing ideals of your own. Elections are not for a candidate we deserve. Or maybe America does deserve these candidates? Don't feel alone brother/sister, there are many of us starring into the abyss together.

@Keffka I totally understand how you've come to be turned off from America. It's a terrible feeling when the society you're forced to live in has almost no sharing ideals of your own. Elections are not for a candidate we deserve. Or maybe America does deserve these candidates? Don't feel alone brother/sister, there are many of us starring into the abyss together.

It was an extremely difficult transition to make. I go back and forth with our citizens. The Vietnam guys had it rough but at least regular people knew we were at war. I can’t tell you how many civilians didn’t realize we were still at war in Afghanistan in 2010 and acted surprised when I told them I was there when I was there. It was frustrating and shocking but also no surprising.

We do and don’t deserve our candidates. We do because we keep rehashing the same fights and have the same problems while we vote for the same people and same parties. However, the system was designed that way long ago. Capitalists have grounded and dumbed us as a people down so far for so long that we’ve become apathetic to our reality and feel completely powerless to effect any real change. So many of us are exhausted just from trying to provide for our families we don’t even have the time or energy to try to achieve change.

It took me quite a few years of self reflection and dealing with the VA to come to these realizations and be able to accept them. Then there was the massive guilt and the loss of brotherhood and all the other hundreds of stories and feelings we all seem to have/share. I’m in a much better place now but it took some serious personal growth to get here.

makes sense. You can be a 7 yrs old male, demand your a girl, have your stuff hacked off, without parents consent, AND, Congress can write up a bill on a dam napkin, review, amend, and PASS within a weeks time. You have 87% of the ENTIRE NATION, in your face, EVERYDAY< yellin for a simple descheduled of the least impactful drug to humans, but nope, "we are looking out for your health and the Children of the future. yeahh, sure.

Back
Top Bottom