Greetings to all

borghead

WHere to start? I haven't done a grow in over 30 years, but now I have the time and freedom to do one. I have been lurking for a while, reading all that I can (really need a new brain to process all this information). I read the noobie sticky (Introduce yourself), but I was hoping for more information.

For instance, what are rep points and how do I give rep points to some one who has been very informative? I also notice that the posting rules say that I am not allowed to post attachments? Does this mean that I will not be able to attach pictures when I start my grow journal?

Also, is there a dictionary of terms some where in the forum? There are terms that some people use all the time in their posts that I don't know what they mean (e.g. RO - something to do wth conditioning their water?, CO+ - thought that they were talking about CO2, but it appears to be something to do with soil? etc.).

Sorry if the questions sound foolish, but I have been using the search button and not finding answers to some of my questions.

Thanks

Borghead

Welcome :). In respect to the abbreviated terms, I feel it's better to type properly and to use full English than abbreviated terms anyway. If you have a read of the how to on uploading pictures through the drop down gallery tab it should help you out a bit.

Glad to have you here buddy.

Hey borghead, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!
I think you’ll find this is the best mmj community out there... Dedicated to spreading awareness of the benefits of Cannabis. :thumb:

Our members are some of the most knowledgable and the most helpful anywhere!

WHere to start? I haven't done a grow in over 30 years, but now I have the time and freedom to do one. I have been lurking for a while, reading all that I can (really need a new brain to process all this information). I read the noobie sticky (Introduce yourself), but I was hoping for more information.

Maybe I can help you out!

For instance, what are rep points and how do I give rep points to some one who has been very informative? I also notice that the posting rules say that I am not allowed to post attachments? Does this mean that I will not be able to attach pictures when I start my grow journal?

If you look on your control panel page (bottom right), you will see the record of the last few reputation points that you have received, and your total number of rep points.

Now look at the symbols below your avatar. You'll see a round green circle on the left, this shows if the member is online or not, then a white scale (I've heard some folks say they thought it was cauliflower :)), then the report post triangle. If you, or any member feels a post was worth adding to that member's reputation, you can click on the white scale, send them feedback and add to that member's rep points.

You'll see green squares below your post count...the first green square is for 0-99 rep points. Each 100 rep points earns another dark green square. After you get into the light green squares it takes 200 rep points to add another square.

The number of rep points you can give is based on how many you have, so if someone with 1000 rep points adds to your reputation you'll get around 10 points, if someone with 500 +reps you you'll get around 5 rep points.

I may be off a little bit here with the exact number given, but I think you can get the idea.

You'll be able to post pics...see the link below.

Also, is there a dictionary of terms some where in the forum? There are terms that some people use all the time in their posts that I don't know what they mean (e.g. RO - something to do wth conditioning their water?, CO+ - thought that they were talking about CO2, but it appears to be something to do with soil? etc.).

RO usually refers Reverse Osmosis which is a type of filtration where the water is forced through a special filter membrane that removes most impurities. Sometimes you'll see RO/DI, which means it's been through additional stages of filtration for deionization. RO/DI water is basically laboratory grade.

The other term you might be referring to is OC+, which is just an abbreviation for Osmocote Plus plant food. There is a thread on it here: Osmocote Plus Plant Food - Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Sorry if the questions sound foolish, but I have been using the search button and not finding answers to some of my questions.

Thanks

Borghead

There are no foolish questions around here bro, the site is all about learning! +Reps for a couple of excellent questions!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting, they will assist you in navigating the forum.

Here are some other links that you should check out:

Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine
One of my favorite places to hang out: Grow Journals - 420 Magazine

Also, please check out the monthly contests linked below in my signature, and feel free to participate by voting and/or entering!

:Namaste:

Awesome Vapedogg, that answered my questions. Thanks for the explanation of RODI, I was really scratching my head about that one. So much to read, so little time. I will be starting my grow in September (when the last blighter leaves for college), so I better make up my mind on lights and system (I really want to try ------------).

Borghead

i couldn't say it better myself man!
its so much more difficult than i thought!
i must admit i gave up and have been studying about hash oil and its even MORE difficult!
then i resort to cannbutter and needless to say...
i'm on verge of going nuts :p
best of luck mate!
cheers :p

Thanks for the rep VapeDogg. Quick question to anybody. My last post I said that I wanted to try (and I put in the word for the Deep Water Culture, that uses a manifold for a trickle of nutrients, with lots of bubbles) and for some reason, the word has been taken out and replaced with ----------s. Is there some rule or regulation that I broke? It wasn't a swearword or anything like that.

Thanks

Borghead

Thanks for the rep VapeDogg. Quick question to anybody. My last post I said that I wanted to try (and I put in the word for the Deep Water Culture, that uses a manifold for a trickle of nutrients, with lots of bubbles) and for some reason, the word has been taken out and replaced with ----------s. Is there some rule or regulation that I broke? It wasn't a swearword or anything like that.

Thanks

Borghead

Welcome Borg. Isn't Vape great! He pretty much has it covered and not much more I can add to it. If your post was edited by the mods then there was probably something that for legal reasons could not be posted. Usually when this is done, a mod will send you a PM explaining why it was edited. I suggest checking out the forum guideline link that Vape provided.

Hiya Queen, I did. The only thing that I can figure, is that the whole process must be "copywrited" and we are not alloweed to use that term, so I guess that I will have to refer to it as "DWC with trickle and bubbles". lol

Thanks

Borghead

If it's what I think it is (with bubbles), they have a competing forum...and although no where near as comprehensive or as well run as 420 Magazine, and in my book really no competition at all, business is business!

I'm a soil guy myself, but when I was over there looking around, most of their stuff can be made with off the shelf parts, for less money. It's definitely worth doing a lot of research before you purchase something.

There are a lot of hydro journals here (if that's the direction you want to go) that you can follow and see how well things work first hand.

Welcome Borg. Isn't Vape great! He pretty much has it covered and not much more I can add to it. If your post was edited by the mods then there was probably something that for legal reasons could not be posted. Usually when this is done, a mod will send you a PM explaining why it was edited. I suggest checking out the forum guideline link that Vape provided.

:thanks: for the kind words QTL!

I'm pretty sure when you post and see "-----" instead of what you typed, that's the automated system. It might flag the post for a mod to look at later, but they don't edit it themselves initially. You'll get the same thing if you type the name of someone that was banned from the forums.

And he's smart too...figures it would be a technical thing...my mind always goes to legality when it comes to websites. My father said I should've been a lawyer!

And he's smart too...figures it would be a technical thing...my mind always goes to legality when it comes to websites. My father said I should've been a lawyer!

Aw shucks! :bigblush: Stop it now! I'm wrong from time to time you know! :) But that is the way I understood it works...but I'm absolutely sure other things get edited out for legal reasons!

:grinjoint:

Aw shucks! :bigblush: Stop it now! I'm wrong from time to time you know! :) But that is the way I understood it works...but I'm absolutely sure other things get edited out for legal reasons!:grinjoint:

Hey, I am only speaking the truth, Vape. But glad to see you're so humble. And thanks for making me feel like I didn't give a wrong answer. But I guess in this case there can be multiple answers too....:high-five::cheer:

Back
Top Bottom