Group Gathering Signatures To Put Medical Marijuana Measure On Oklahoma Ballot

Jacob Redmond

Carter County resident Linda Long says she is fighting for medical marijuana for two reasons -- her father and her son.

"My father died from ALS, Lou Gerhrig's disease, when I was a child," Long said. "And I watched. And the doctors couldn't do anything. My son has MS, and the doctors can't do a thing for him. Wherever I can stick a petition, I am going to stick it."

Long says her son was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis eight years ago. She says he is only in his 40s and already getting worse.

"Walking, just stiffness and the pain," he said.

She says medical marijuana could be her son's saving grace.

"Everybody should try to sign the petition because you don't know when it could be your kid or your grandkid that's going to need this," she said.

Marijuana is also used to treat several other illnesses like Alzheimers and autoimmune disease.

Cyrus Watts says he used to smoke marijuana recreationally, but five years ago he gave that up. "I struggled with it," he said.

He says now he is never going back, and he doesn't think anyone else should use it either, even if it would help their illness. "There are other ways," he said. There are other cures for it. It's not good for you. And I don't think people should have the right to go around smoking and doing that stuff."

A group called the Green Vote has filed the paperwork hopes of getting the question placed on the ballot. They have 90 days to get more than 100,000 signatures in order for it to go on the ballot on Nov. 8, 2016 for the general election.

15880.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Group gathering signatures to put medical marijuana measure on Okla. ballot
Author: Amy Jenson
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom