Grow room vs. Grow tent?

gunjababy

OK here's my question I have a spare room in the basement i am thinking if i should convert it to a complete grow room or should i put 2 big tents in there ?(1 for VEG and 1 for flowering) Here's the thing the room size is 18 feet long 9 feet wide and 7 feet high.(BIG ROOM). My goal is to grow a big harvest so i don't have to keep at it for a while. my thing is i am afraid of the amounts of lights that i would need to light up the room. my problem is i have been looking for the biggest grow tent i can find,but all i'm coming across little to semi big ones.

QUESTIONS:

1- What's the biggest indoor tent someone has come across ?

2- How would you set up the room ?, If you had that space ?

3- How many plants would it take to harvest at least 5 LBS?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. :thanks::ganjamon:

Re: Grow room vs. Grow tent ??????

There are 8x8 tents and likely some even larger. Tents are a quick and easy way to get started fast. If I had your space and wanted a large grow I would likely do a small tent for cloning and veg and use the rest of the room for flower. A light mover would be needed to cover an area that large. Or if you are a handy DIY guy you could just wall off a small area for veg/clone and save the cost of the tent for other gear. Big grows require a lot of work and attention. Leave yourself plenty of room to work on each plant. It really sucks having to move plants just to water and feed.

How many plants to get 5 pounds? The most common numbers I hear are 2-3 ounces of finished buds per plant, so if that is accurate, then 5 pounds = 80 ounces = about 27-40 plants.

if i wasnt good at DIY.......
I agree with screw except i would buy a few 4x4's for seperate mothers and two smaller for cloning and the rest of the room i would get stupid with.

me personally if i had that room i would start by heat blocking the ceiling and walls and acid scrubbing the floor and sealing it.

then i would build 4 rooms for mothers two side by side with two on top to save space, then two rooms for cloning built on top of each other to save space and other rooms for flowering if you wanted to do different strains.

i would also do a 100 amp sub panel to handle all of the added elec. and would use only 20 amp circuits dedicated to each room i would probably also add a feed from the furnace for heat and add a small portable a/c and humidifier unit.

damn i need to get all this shit out of my garage. now i have ideas lololol

build your own 'tent' inside a room. if you figure yourself as a bit of a handyman

The better question is: how many lights will it take to harvest 5 lbs?

Your gonna need at least 3 1000s on movers to get there - to be conserative, 4 1000s, and harvest from each plant will depend on how long you veg them, and if you scrog, etc.

You will have to fill that room with 4 1000's 4' on center on 6' movers, and you'll be crammed to get 5 lbs with a 7 foot ceiling. Might have to scrog... take a look at 420fieds journal, just multiply what he did - 5 600's would be about right too if you managed 1 lb per 600 light. And that takes a master grower.

Is this your first grow? If so way to big for first time, you should do some more research everything you need to now can be found on this site. If you are ready to start right away I would build my room's inside the big room. Thick black plastic is cheap and works well with zippers or Velcro. Tents get way to hot most of the time, easier to ventilate a room that you designed and build probable cheaper to just more time involved. Hop that helps you out in your decision!

Hell perfect size room just scrub it super clean paint it flat white and just frame it up , you can use 2x2s and black visgueen plastic for divider walls a lot cheaper than a huge tent save that money for and upgrade in lighting and ventalation...Your golden !

Hi -

Props for doing the research BEFORE.

Some thoughts for you:

1 - Do you want a perpetual harvest? This would involve two areas because of the lighting. With your space you could either build a small enclosure, or throw up some drywall, or use a tent to enclose a smaller area for your veg area (18 hrs light). The general rule is you want about 1/4 the space for veg as for your flowering area.

2 - Do a search on you-tube for build your own grow room. There is a great series of about 6 vids up there by a guy who set up what looks like exactly what you are looking for. Except he wasn't anywhere close to 5 lbs.

Good Luck!!

Hi -

Props for doing the research BEFORE.

Some thoughts for you:

1 - Do you want a perpetual harvest? This would involve two areas because of the lighting. With your space you could either build a small enclosure, or throw up some drywall, or use a tent to enclose a smaller area for your veg area (18 hrs light). The general rule is you want about 1/4 the space for veg as for your flowering area.

2 - Do a search on you-tube for build your own grow room. There is a great series of about 6 vids up there by a guy who set up what looks like exactly what you are looking for. Except he wasn't anywhere close to 5 lbs.

Good Luck!!

thanks for that, also check out my journal would love some in sight..........

Back
Top Bottom