Growbox questions! Noob needs help!

ThaKidd

Hey Ya'll this is my very first post and my very first grow.

I have a few questions requarding my grow box.
but first my circumstaces.... my grow box is 3 feet long by 3 feet deep by 5 feet tall. I have taken on new roommates and dont know where they stand as it has never been brought up and will stay that way....not everyone sees it as medicine and I am not looking to draw ANY attention. I have a 400 Watt hps light.

I am planning on growing between 3-6 plants

my questions are:

Would a homemade carbon filter work better or a store bought? if so would it completely mask the smell? or would other steps need to be taken?

I am not sure what kind of soil to use ?? i know perlite is a must and was thinking about using a soilless or a moss medium. Any suggestions??

More questions to come!!

Thank you for any help

Re: Growbox questions! Noob needs help!!

I would make rosemans diy odor control bucket. do a search on it.

For soil, use a mix of 50% Miracle Gro potting mix moustiure control and 50/50 any brand unfertilized bag of potting mix. use 3gal buckets or bigger.

Awesome thank you for helping Lighter!

What is your take on lights ? I was looking at a 400 watt light for my grow box and its only 3x3x5? it seems like an overkill but i thought more light=healthier plants and bigger yield

400w hps is good for that space. if you want that light, your going to need to vent your grow box. (air intake and air extake)

If you dont want to do that, you can spend more money and get an LED...which will save you more money in the LONG run (if you plan to do more than one grow...and if this is your first then there will be more to come)

haha Yeah I am plannin on just using the 400 watt Hps. To avoid having to transplant would it be easier to start them out in 3 or 5 gallon buckets?

Also a fiend of mine told me that using a soilless medium would be an easier alternative than dirt to control the ph level? is that true? he mentioned using like a moss or something and lots of perlite? any comments?

perlite is a must in soil.
I have seen some really nice coir grows...so it works. check into that.

your friend is right about ph levels in soilless. (nothing to react with)

Depending on medium, that will determine what size you need to go. for soil, go 5gal. for coir, 3gal would be enough.

Awesome ! thanks for helping!

Now I may be jumping the gun but in the flowering stage when the buds are forming , Would it be benificial in addition to the 400 watt Hps to throw in some big CFL's? and if so what would the benifits be?

Also what does the term "Topping" mean?

Would it be benificial in addition to the 400 watt Hps to throw in some big CFL's? and if so what would the benifits be?

Yes. It would add more color spectrum and just more light in general. (get daylight bulbs to supplment with during flower)

Also what does the term "Topping" mean?
It means cutting off the very top of the plant just after a set of nodes in order to keep the plant shorter and bushier. This is advantageous during grows using CFL as primary light.

Awesome !

Now if i were to do a big scale Scrog type grow with multiple plants, would that be a more efficient use of light? How would you create more bud sites? Would a large scale Scrog grow yield more than a traditional grow where the plants just have one main cola?

its when you bend and snap a branch to try and get it to give resources to other branches.... i suggest against it.

Awesome !

Now if i were to do a big scale Scrog type grow with multiple plants, would that be a more efficient use of light? How would you create more bud sites? Would a large scale Scrog grow yield more than a traditional grow where the plants just have one main cola?

yes.
scrog.
yes.

Back
Top Bottom