Guam: Agencies Discuss Setting Up Policy For Cannabis-Use Leases

Katelyn Baker

The Chamorro Land Trust Commission on Thursday discussed ways to provide safeguards and establish a policy for agricultural land leases to be used for commercial cannabis cultivation for medicinal purposes.

Applications for such purpose should be reviewed on a per application basis, and the applicant should be in good standing for commercial cannabis cultivation applications on CLTC property, according to the commission's discussions with the Department of Land Management director.

Land Management Director Michael Borja raised some of the questions to the CLTC board on Thursday during the commission's regular board meeting at the ITC building in Tamuning.

CLTC should set up a policy on evaluating applications for commercial cannabis cultivation, Borja said.

Borja said the Department of Public Health and Social Services requires three things from applicants, which involve DLM and CLTC collectively:

• a determination of the zoning of the piece of property;
  • verification of the leaseholder of the property; and
  • for any lands that are subleased to get permission, in writing from the main leaseholder or owner.
Borja has directed staff at DLM that maintain the master land database, to create a unique identifier that identifies cannabis cultivation as the intended use of that parcel of property, once such use has received government approval.

Borja suggested that the board set a policy to prohibit cannabis cultivation or certain restrictions on certain CLTC property.

"That's the reason why I want to have certain kinds of restrictions; I don't want people to have a free-for-all and think that anybody can approve it, there needs to be some governance on it," Borja said.

"My concern here is that if someone comes to us with a leased piece of property and they intend to make this the cash crop of choice, that you can't just plant because you have to have approval from CLTC commissioners, it has to be in a form of a motion" through the commission, he said.

"Right now, I'm not going to grant any approval without the board's determination," he said.

Borja also said CLTC doesn't have to duplicate Public Health's part to scrutinize an application for commercial marijuana cultivation. "I think Public Health already has that set up to make sure an applicant is doing the right thing."

"We will be monitoring it, though we will be keeping track on who we are giving authorization."

credDarrenCalabrese.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Agencies Discuss Setting Up Policy For Cannabis-Use Leases
Author: Chris Wong
Photo Credit: Darren Calabrese

Back
Top Bottom