Gypsum vs Dolomite vs Calcium Carbonate

PagodaVapors

What is the difference between Gypsum (Calcium sulfate) , dolomite (calcium carbonate & magnesium) and Calcium carbonate ? Which would be a better choice for high brix ?

I've read on Doc Bud's page not to use dolomite lime. I believe it throws magnesium/calcium out of proper balance and/or is very slow to release calcium, and possibly other reasons. Main point is dolomite is not good for high brix. The other 2 are if in right proportion. For growers not using his kit he recommends a 6-5-3 blend of calcium carbonate (not 'calcium carbonate equivalent') soft rock phosphates and gypsum respectively. I tried this on one of my grows. I used calcium carbonate at rate listed on bag and the others in 6-5-3 ratio to that. I'm getting decent results, would be better if I had bigger pots and remembered to water on time. :)

and welcome!

links to Doc's high brix pages:

Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures
In The Lab With Doc Bud

I've read on Doc Bud's page not to use dolomite lime. I believe it throws magnesium/calcium out of proper balance and/or is very slow to release calcium, and possibly other reasons. Main point is dolomite is not good for high brix. The other 2 are if in right proportion. For growers not using his kit he recommends a 6-5-3 blend of calcium carbonate (not 'calcium carbonate equivalent') soft rock phosphates and gypsum respectively. I tried this on one of my grows. I used calcium carbonate at rate listed on bag and the others in 6-5-3 ratio to that. I'm getting decent results, would be better if I had bigger pots and remembered to water on time. :)

and welcome!

links to Doc's high brix pages:

Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures
In The Lab With Doc Bud

Thanks bro I appreciate the helpful words

Solubility is one difference as well each compounds role in the soil.
Dolomite contains calcium and magnesium and with a medium solubility can quickly treat soil ph corrections. Calcium carbonate is a general term for Lime based buffers and only contains calcium it can be fine (high solubility) or chunky (lower solubility). Gypsum is the least soluble and is used to break up compact Earth. They all fall into the "Lime" category and all offer ph Buffering as well is arability to the soil.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom