Haleigh Cox, Family Reunited In Georgia

Jacob Redmond

The 5-year-old girl who sparked state legislation that legalizes a form of medical marijuana in Georgia is back at home in Forsyth this week.

Haleigh Cox, and her mother Janea, have been in Colorado for more than a year, treating Haleigh's uncontrollable seizure disorder with cannabis oil. Brian, Haleigh's dad, stayed behind in Monroe County to work.

"Like my husband and I always said, we would move heaven and earth to help Haleigh," Cox said. "We were told she might live maybe two to three more months. I definitely know cannabis oil saved her life. Colorado saved her life. The move out there ... even though we were far away from each other, I don't think we regret a minute of it."

Haleigh is undergoing treatment in Colorado with a special strain of cannabis oil, developed by the Flowering Hope Foundation and botanist Jason Cranford. Soon, the Cox family can permanently come back home and access that medicine in Georgia.

"It means a lot, because we'll be able to be a family again," Cox said.

That's after Governor Nathan Deal signed an executive order Friday, ordering state agencies to prepare for HB 1, also called Haleigh's Hope Act. Deal is expected to sign the bill into law this week. HB 1 allows individuals with certain conditions to legally possess cannabis oil. It will require registration cards.

It also continues a research and trial program at the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia to further study the effects of cannabis oil. State Representative Allen Peake (R-Macon) says the next step is creating a grow model in Georgia.

There are still risks, though. Under federal law, it is illegal for people to carry cannabis oil across state lines.

"It's hard for parents to think about because they're putting their own freedom at risk. But then when you look at your child, you know you'd do anything for them," Cox said.

Cox says they head back to Colorado on April 8 to wrap up loose ends and prepare to bring Haleigh home. The two hope to move back to Georgia by the beginning of summer.

13700.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Haleigh Cox, family reunited in Georgia
Author: Anita Oh
Photo Credit: Times-Herald
Website: Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, Sports and Entertainment | Atlanta, GA | 11Alive.com WXIA TV

Back
Top Bottom