HELP! 250 HPS or 400 HPS?

Viracocha711

I will be flowering 4 plants, maybe 8, in a 4'x5'x8.5' high space that is well ventilated...Want to know whether I should go with 2- 400 watt HPS or 4 250 Watt HPS?

Re: HELP! 250 HPS or 400 HPS???

I would go with 2 400's, better lumens per light.

A single 600 HPS will light up a 4'x4' space easily. They crank out about 90,000 initial lumens and a 400 only puts out 50,000. So for 10,000 more lumens at 200 more watts is that worth it? I think not. Why burn more watts than is needed to do the job? Another thing to think about is the rate that the lumens drop off as you get further from the source...600HPS drops from 90k to 22,500(-75%), where the 400 drops from 50k to 12,500(-75% also) in only a foot difference(going from 1 to 2 feet away).

Thanks Akorn...If I get a cool tube for that 600 hps will that make a true difference in heat control plus allow me to get the light closer to the plant?

I guess what I am saying or asking is, are cool tubes worth the cash $60-$80? Or is the cool tube thingy more hype than it is worth?

Cool tubes are def worth it! Or IMO better yet is a vented hood (if you have room for it). I think the light dispersal of a hood vs. a tube is better, and they do the same thing...they allow you to get way closer to the plants without burning and exhaust the heat out via ducting. Make sure you have a fan capable of exhausting thru the light.

Well.... if you can afford to buy and ventilate 2-4 lights... then how about going for a dual spectrum HID setup like I have? It's got 600w HPS AND 400w MH bulbs both in the hood burning at the same time.. it uses a combined dual ballast - not switchable - DUAL.. so you can run them both together or seperatly if heat is an issue. They come in 800w and 1000w models and worth every penny ...

Here's a picture of both bulbs burning in the hood...
light-bulbs1.jpg

Peace
MC

OH YEAH, I looking for a dual 125 watt or 250 watt CFL reflector for veg cycle if anyone knows where I can find one?

I saw one some where but I can't find it? AAAHHHHHrrrggg!!!!

You can find a 600w light online for 100 bucks with ballast and hood(not ventilated)

Yes, I have seen a bunch of what appeared to be wonderful deals on lights...But I do not know if these dicounted lights are worth it?

Plus, I have never found a complete 600 watt HPS system with a digital ballast for $100...?

Are these discounted lights from insidesun.com and HTGsupply.com and others any good? Do they last through more than one grow? What about thermal protected ballast and fire saftey?

I have a disabled wife and three Chihuahuas and myself(I can't walk more than a few yards without having to stop) to worry about. SAFTEY IS A MUST!

Back
Top Bottom