Help needed light vs heat vs light vs ballast

Hydroponic1

Here is what I have

3x6x8 closet (utilizing a 3x3 area for growing and the other 3x3 for moving around and equipment
4 plant NFT system
4inch CF filter and inline fan
4 inch fresh air intake
Temps staying around 75-78 light on mid to upper 60s light off
1 250 watt hps with ballast made in light
Past 3 succesful grows have been using SCROG method

Here is my questions
1. If i upgrade to a 400 watt HPS with remote ballast mounted outside the closet should I have to worry about heat considering im moving the ballast outside of the grow area rather than having it inside like the 250?
2.will the bulb alone put off that much more heat?
3. Is there any truth to doubling the yeild going from a 250 to 400 watt hps?(continuing the scrog)
4. Is a 2foot 2 bulb T5 enough for one mother plant? (sunleaves Pioneer II)

Looking for advice on these as i have searched and read post after post and couldnt find anything on the heat issue or the 2 bulb t5 question Thanks..

Welcome Hydro1!

It's the bulb that puts out the heat, the ballast is warm but nothing compared to the heat of the bulb. A 400 watter in an non vented hood would bring your temps up. If venting it is an option you're set.

No, the increase in watts will not double the yield.

A 2' T5 will grow a small, vegging plant, that you could get a handful of small clones from. A 4 bulb 2' T5 would do you a little better for a bushier plant.

Hope that helps you some! Good luck!

Thanks yard dog will the increase in watts make any diffrence in yield? If not Im thouroghly confused everything i have read says it will make the buds denser and bigger. All iwant to do is keep my mother alive and take 4 clones every 2-3 months as i harvest I have a 2foot 4 bulb for veg and the 250 hps for flowering but i have ordered a 400 watt digital ballast as i already have the hood bulb and socket. I was planning on selling the 250 and buying another t5 system for my mother and ditch all the cfls

Thanks yard dog will the increase in watts make any diffrence in yield? If not Im thouroghly confused everything i have read says it will make the buds denser and bigger. All iwant to do is keep my mother alive and take 4 clones every 2-3 months as i harvest I have a 2foot 4 bulb for veg and the 250 hps for flowering but i have ordered a 400 watt digital ballast as i already have the hood bulb and socket. I was planning on selling the 250 and buying another t5 system for my mother and ditch all the cfls

Yes the 400 watt light will give you a bigger harvest, guess I should have mentioned that. With your footprint the 400 will do much better than the 250. Better lumen penetration is what it's all about.

With your small demand for clones, the 2 bulb will be fine. You'll have to trim the Mom during that 2-3 month period to keep light available to most of the plant, thinning it out essentially. Better yet, take cuttings from her just for practice. Just time it out so you'll have good cuttings to take when you need them.

Good choice on the digital ballast, the only way to go!

Thanks Yard Dog you had me worried there for a bit but that puts my mind at ease, now I wait till it gets hee then set it all up.

Back
Top Bottom