250 HPS and heat?

MrSmithster

I have a 2 x 2 x 5 ft grow tent with four 65 watt CFLs. I was wondering if a 250 watt HPS would over heat this tent? I saw a good deal on one, please see link...
250 WATT HPS DIGITAL GROW LIGHT w/ XL HOOD 250w BALLAST...USD150.00 Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

would this unit work in a small tent? would it work in a 2 X 3 X 5 tent? right now i have two small fans, but i get no temp difference between lights on vs. lights off right now. even with the fans off, i get only a few degree increase with the lights on. Thanks

You might be a few degrees higher with the 250w because the hood will collect heat and decrease the efficiency of exhaust, but I don't think it would be much higher than your four 65w CFL's.

I run a 250w HPS in a 2.8 X 2.8 X 5 tent and temps are very manageable.

When you say you have "two small fans", how are they set up?

You will need to have good ventilation, not just for heat management, but so that your plants get plenty of fresh air, which is essential to their growth.

MrSmithster , i rate you try go for a deal with a Cool tube, this is going to ensure more ventilation as the heat can be kept in the tube & extracted via a fan, i know they work well, i have a 250 watt switchable ballast that i bought for 37 dollars, got the socket & a osram powerstar daylight, if im correct the last time i saw it pushes out 30,000 lumens. in any case i need a decent cool tube aswell, if you arent too sure what they are here's an example Budget Cool Tubes , there are alot of other types you get too, just do a research on google

I have used a Super Sun ll for both a 400 as well as a 250. With glass, heat blanket and exhausting the light has enabled me to keep the light a lot closer than some might suggest. I use an infrared thermometer at work, and have borrowed it for home use from time to time and those silver insulating blankets designed for hoods REALLY work. I may get hammered here, but I'd go the 250 over a handful of cfl's anyday. Good luck in your choice.

Mr smithster...I agree with peabody i also have a supersun II with both 400 and 250 vented via 160cfm inline fan and with the 250 i keep about 4-6 deg above ambient temps with the 400 about 7-10 deg above(now that canopy is filled around 10deg) 4x 65watt bulbs at 4300(MAX) lumen is 17200 lumens at total of 260watts! 250 hps is 28000 lumens(32000 with hortilux bulb) this is almost double wattage to lumen ration heat wont be but maybe 2-4 deg different than air cooled hood.A good air cooled hood will run 80$ 250 ballast 114$ good fan 80$(cheaper on ebay) but suncoasthydroponics the site sponsor has great deals. I say 250 and forget it !!62.5 watts per square foot or 7k lumens per foot is optimal!!!check out my journal have some logs of temps throughout my grow for 250 and 400. :yahoo::roorrip::grinjoint::yummy:HAPPY 420 ALL!!!!!:bongrip::grinjoint::roorrip::yahoo:

I have a 250 watt mh/hps switchable ballast with the mh pushing 30,000 lumens, i have a grow box which i wanna build, it is 90 cm(37.5") in height & 50cm(20") x 50cm in width, i want to build this in a stealth way, building a box out of chipboard & using acoustic speaker carpet, then i am ordering two 10 or 12 inch black round speaker grills , im getting plastic airhole ports to vent & extract air out of, i am also putting on large plastic corners to ensure stealth & i will be getting a strap handle on top with a speaker push terminal for the wires to go through, i was planning on then keeping a space inside the box, say 20cm(8") from the top seperated with a glass sheet about 5mm thick, then i want to extract air out with two 110cfm computer fans i am just not sure if this is going to be enuf extraction ? im planning on running from either a fan controller or a old computer power supply, then for the air in the box i am planning on running atleast 3 or 4 fans, if you guys can suggest the cfms ill need please do, i want to extract air inside with a 110cfm & extract out air with it. these 110cfm's are each 12cm's i was then thinking of puttng either one more or two more 8cm's inside, got my nutes got my light, got my pots & all, i just need some backup for this, i aint sure if my heat temps are going to be okay although id love to get some babies growing up towards this light, Just personally need some help of the amount of air i should push out ? Thanx guys , ill be awaiting the reply ! just want to start this up asap

You might be a few degrees higher with the 250w because the hood will collect heat and decrease the efficiency of exhaust, but I don't think it would be much higher than your four 65w CFL's.

I run a 250w HPS in a 2.8 X 2.8 X 5 tent and temps are very manageable.

When you say you have "two small fans", how are they set up?

You will need to have good ventilation, not just for heat management, but so that your plants get plenty of fresh air, which is essential to their growth.

Hey man what i plan on doing when I start my first grow here in Aug is putting one at the bottom, and one at the top. the one at the bottom would suck air in from outside, and the one at the top would push air out. The lower portion of the tent will be cooler than the top, so you want it set up that way. That would be just for air circulation though, I do plan on using a glass tube around the bulb and some tubing at one end, each end vents outside the tent.

Back
Top Bottom