Hemp: A Smoothie Innovation

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
As a self-proclaimed “smoothie enthusiast,” I am always in search of a new protein powder to include in my daily blended beverage. I have sampled powders across the protein spectrum, from whey to soy and even pea and rice proteins. It wasn’t until recently, however, that I discovered the wonders of hemp protein.

It may surprise you to learn that hemp is actually quite the superfood. Not only is it a source of plant-based protein, with 8 to 13 grams per 4 tablespoon serving, but it also boasts significant amounts of fiber, magnesium and iron.

Upon first taste, hemp has a bit of “bite” to it that may be off-putting to some, but I have grown to love the almost spicy flavor of hemp proteins, especially in combination with chocolate. In addition to mixing hemp into smoothies, you might also enjoy it mixed into your morning oatmeal or baked into your favorite muffin recipe.

If you’re interested in trying hemp for yourself, read on for information about a couple of hemp varieties that are currently available.

Living Harvest

Living Harvest currently produces two varieties of hemp: original and vanilla spice. Although both flavors deliver the same flavor and purity of ingredients, I would recommend vanilla-spice to the hemp novice. This flavor lends itself particularly well to fruit smoothies; my personal favorite combination is vanilla spice hemp with rice milk and frozen mango.

Nonetheless, the original variety is worth a taste as well. The original flavor is clearly the most versatile, combining equally well with either fruity or chocolatey ingredients.

Living Harvest hemp protein ranges from 120-130 calories, 3-4 grams of fat, and 9-13 grams of protein per 4 tablespoon serving. Each serving also delivers 8-9 grams of fiber along with 30-40 percent of the RDA for magnesium and 20-30 percent for iron.

In addition to their vast array of health bars and natural oils, Nutiva also produces hemp protein powder. There are currently four varieties available: unflavored, Amazon Acai, Berry Pomegranate, and chocolate.

The unflavored variety is sold simply as “organic hemp protein powder,” while the other three flavors are part of the Nutiva HempShake line. By far, my favorite variety is the chocolate; its subtle spice combines brilliantly with fresh or frozen berries, although bananas and organic peanut butter make excellent accompaniments as well.

The berry pomegranate and unflavored varieties are my preferred flavors for making fruity-themed beverages; they both provide a pleasant nuttiness to your fruit of choice. In contrast, I found the Amazon Acai flavor to be extremely bitter and unpalatable.

Depending on the flavor, a 4 tablespoon serving provides 80 to 120 calories, 1.5-3 grams of fat, and 7-11 grams of protein. You’ll also get 12-14 grams of fiber as well as significant doses of magnesium, iron and zinc.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: CalorieLab
Copyright: 2009 CalorieLab, Inc.

I use the natural hemp protein. It is hard to drink by itself so I add it to cereal and soy milk to hide the taste. I also add flax seed to the mix. I buy it in 25 pound pails from the manufacture. I also use hemp hair products along with message oil and body creams.

Grow and help the world grow

In my home, we use hemp seeds virtually everyday for breakfast. In combination with ground flax seeds, lecithin, soy milk, yogurt, walnuts, whey powder, almonds and fruit, they make a wonderful, delicious, healthy, Omega 3-rich, low-carb meal to start the day. And, you can throw all those ingredients in a blender with a little chocolate or vanilla and have a quick and instant breakfast smoothie that will keep you full 'till midday.
:idea:

Back
Top Bottom