High Pressure Sodium

Desde

Ok I was walking around at our Local Swapmeet and came across some bulbs. I bought 2 bulbs for 25cents each... they look new, but hey for 25cents I'll take my chances! 1 of them is a HPS and the other says PHILIPS MERCURY VAPOR.

From what I've been reading the Mercury Vapor lamps aren't as efficient.. so Im thinking about this HPS. It says on the bulb " HPS 70 " does that mean its the 70watt model? If so... Would I be able to use this for 2plants? Or should I not even bother using this bulb.

I love the swapmeet so if I find something I could use, I always pick it up.. Opinions, Comments are gladly appreciated.

- Des

70 Watts isn't enough for one plant. Plus you still need a ballast.

Using bulbs for growing means you need new bulbs. After 6 months to 9 months they need replacing even though they still work, New bulbs are brighter, better light spectrum and are a lot more effeciant. Don't bother buying used bulbs, thats to much like changing the oil on your car and using somebody elses used oil.

Urdedpal said:
Thats to much like changing the oil on your car and using somebody elses used oil.

The bulbs were still in their boxes but its cool, I think i'll just buy a complete light system with bulb/ballast/reflector.

I plan on growing only a few plants, maybe 2-3... any particular wattage I should be leaning towards?

1000+, easily.

how big of a room do you have? It's the only way to know what size light to use. More is better but if you can't control the heat it's a waste.
I have used 70watt lights with okay results. I have 2 of them with remote ballasts sitting in my storage closet right now. Been there for about 4 or 5 years now. Maybe I should get rid of them but I find it hard to dispose of growing equipment. I keep telling myself that I will use the stuff again some day so I end up keeping it.
I have donated lights to new growers too though. I've given away a lot of equipment. Three 400 watt HID's, 2 PPM meters and even a complete NFT system just to name a few.
hhmmm...I think maybe it's time to gather things up and cull some more stuff from the pile. lol

Desde said:
The bulbs were still in their boxes but its cool, I think i'll just buy a complete light system with bulb/ballast/reflector.

I plan on growing only a few plants, maybe 2-3... any particular wattage I should be leaning towards?

Sorry, I assumed they were used.:allgood: To put my 2 cents in. I like anywhere from 150w to 1000w. But like racefan said it mostly depends on your grow area and budget. You might want to start out in the grow room and check out the grow room setup column. Lotsa good info about lights, vent, ect.

Appreciate the info guys! Did I mention I love this forum? FULL OF KNOWLEDGE!!!

Im in Butte County and I am more then willing to take those off your hands racefan!

Check the grow forums. People have done grows with just standard floros. But for 2 plants I am still going to go with a 1000w light. It's entirely up to you and your budget but you will get much more bud for your buck (and time and effort) with a 1000watt.

Check the grow forums, they are an infinite source of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom