How does SCROG improve my canopy and yield?

** The ScrOG Concept **

Growing with fluoros gives one a good understanding of light to plant distance because it's so critical. Even so, HID users still appreciate the impact of having as much growth as possible, as close as possible to the light. It's how to make best use of what you have.

In the process of achieving the above, the shape of the growing canopy would match a line in space where light intensity would be equal as it eminates from the light source. With fluoros, it's a perfectly flat plane. With a stationary HID it's a concave shape, the degree of which depends on the area covered. With an HID on a light mover, it's a perfectly flat plane.

Training is a method of growth control that allows one to shape their canopy. Tying, bending, crimping, topping, are all training methods. Training branches to grow where one wants in order to get the desired shape takes time. At best, even though branches are where one wants them, when the canopy is in full flower there are void spaces between the buds where other buds could be growing, but aren't.

The Sea of Green method, where many plants are used in an effort to eliminate the void spaces between buds, was named from the vision of seeing the procsess in use. The canopy looks like a "Sea of Green".

Either way, extra effort is required to maximize the use of canopy space. The plant's shape and the shape we want from a canopy under artificial lights are simply not the same. IOW Mother Nature will not cooperate:) The extra effort comes in the form of using more plants (SOG), or training fewer plants.

After finding from experience that I didn't like maintaining the numbers of plants, mothers, and clones needed for SOG I opted for using fewer plants. I had to train but still wanted that Sea of Green horizontal profile and no void spaces in my canopy.

Enter the Screen
When a length of poultry netting is stretched over the grow area, it eliminates the need for conventional training. Tying, bending, and crimping are replaced by using the netting as anchors to keep shoots in position. It can also be perfectly shaped to make best use of the light. The netting is known as the screen, hence the name Screen Of Green or ScrOG for short.

Plants are topped to promote branching, as the plants grow into the screen and their shoot tips start to grow through the holes in the screen, they are pulled back under the screen and guided to the next hole to continue their horizontal growth. All the time maintaining the profile of the screen to maximize light use. Growth is very robust. While now getting the same light intensity as the primary shoot tips, secondary growth seems to blossom, and from the secondary growth comes tertiary growth, etc.. All at the top of the canopy, and all receiving maximum light intensity. How many plants are used depends on how much time the grower wants to take to fill the screen to a point where it will be full with buds at harvest. This will largely depend on the growth traits of the variety he uses, but one can fill a canopy with only one plant if desired.

When flowered, only the slow growing buds are allowed to grow through the holes in the ScrOG. The resulting harvest profile is indeed a Sea Of Green but with much fewer plants and the increased yields gained from making use of the void spaces found in a conventionaly trained, non-SOG canopy.
is it possible to do a SOG with only 4 plants?

Just fill your grow space up with four plants, but I think really SOG means doing it with many small ones.
Right thars what i gathered lol. See i have limited space 2x2x4 so pretty much only option. Have u ever done it? I grow autos but now i want to try photos . when is ideal to flip to 12/12? 3 weeks old?

Just fill your grow space up with four plants, but I think really SOG means doing it with many small ones.
Right thars what i gathered lol. See i have limited space 2x2x4 so pretty much only option. Have u ever done it? I grow autos but now i want to try photos . when is ideal to flip to 12/12? 3 weeks old?

No. I've only done four plants in a big room. You could make a scrog-type screen and use it to keep the branches evenly spaced apart. Personally, I would flip when the branches alternate but I've got 7ft of height. I'm sure someone experienced in your grow-style will post something.

is it possible to do a SOG with only 4 plants?

See i have limited space 2x2x4 so pretty much only option. Have u ever done it? I grow autos but now i want to try photos . when is ideal to flip to 12/12? 3 weeks old?

Clones, you mean?

That's a low ceiling. Take out space for your containers, your light(s), two or three inches above the light(s) for air circulation, whatever the minimum distance is between your lighting and the top of your plants...

I suggest, if you're wanting to do a SOG grow, that you use freshly-rooted cuttings (clones) and put them into flower immediately after that rooting process. You might be able to flower as many as 16, at a spacing of four per square foot. Using clones will give you a more even and consistent canopy, since all of the clones growth patterns - and growth rates - will be more or less the same, differing only if they're getting different amounts of light (which you could get around by regularly "shuffling" your plants around so that their average light levels were the same. I'll further suggest using passive hydroponics (aka "hempy") in something like two-liter soda pop bottles, because you can fit four of them per square foot.

Yes, you'd need a space for your mother plant, but it wouldn't have to be large, it wouldn't necessarily have to be light-proof, and you wouldn't need a great deal of light. After all, you wouldn't be attempting to grow a tree, merely a plant that you could harvest 16 cuttings from - and there's no rule stating you must get them all at the same time; for example, adding four per week would allow you to harvest four per week, eventually. You could probably accomplish this with two or three small (23-watt) CFL bulbs, maybe four.

When you aren't going to need cuttings for a while, you might even be able to reduce the light over your mother. It doesn't take much to maintain a small mother plant "in stasis," so to speak. Not much... of anything (lighting, nutrients, water). A week before you plan to begin harvesting your flowering clones (aka "budcicles" ;) ), simply ramp up your mother plant's lighting and give it a little boost of nutrients so that it begins actively growing again. Okay, maybe two weeks, to allow for the rooting process, but you probably get the picture.

You could even maintain multiple mini-mother plants in this way. If they do begin to overgrow their space or containers, grab the clippers and treat them like any other houseplants, lol. Long term, once per year or so, you could give them a good trimming to reduce the "greenery," then remove them from their containers, cut away a "layer" of soil all around the perimeter and on the bottom (maybe an inch or so, depending on the size of the containers), and use new soil when potting them up in their original containers. The thorough trimming beforehand is done so as to keep the ratio of roots to (remainder of) plant comparable - and to keep your mini-mother station neat, of course.

Why 16 plants in that small space instead of four? I think you'll have an easier time of it that way, actually. Traditionally, SOG style growing is with unbranched plants. Allowing time for them to branch out to fill your space means that they'll also be growing vertically - and you don't have much room in that regard. Use clones, flower them immediately after rooting.

Here is an old journal thread. It was posted by a someone who is no longer a member. But it'll give you an idea about the overall process. Bear in mind that this grower had a significantly larger space and, therefore, was dealing with much larger plant numbers and would have required larger mother plants to supply them.

Clones, you mean?

That's a low ceiling. Take out space for your containers, your light(s), two or three inches above the light(s) for air circulation, whatever the minimum distance is between your lighting and the top of your plants...

I suggest, if you're wanting to do a SOG grow, that you use freshly-rooted cuttings (clones) and put them into flower immediately after that rooting process. You might be able to flower as many as 16, at a spacing of four per square foot. Using clones will give you a more even and consistent canopy, since all of the clones growth patterns - and growth rates - will be more or less the same, differing only if they're getting different amounts of light (which you could get around by regularly "shuffling" your plants around so that their average light levels were the same. I'll further suggest using passive hydroponics (aka "hempy") in something like two-liter soda pop bottles, because you can fit four of them per square foot.

Yes, you'd need a space for your mother plant, but it wouldn't have to be large, it wouldn't necessarily have to be light-proof, and you wouldn't need a great deal of light. After all, you wouldn't be attempting to grow a tree, merely a plant that you could harvest 16 cuttings from - and there's no rule stating you must get them all at the same time; for example, adding four per week would allow you to harvest four per week, eventually. You could probably accomplish this with two or three small (23-watt) CFL bulbs, maybe four.

When you aren't going to need cuttings for a while, you might even be able to reduce the light over your mother. It doesn't take much to maintain a small mother plant "in stasis," so to speak. Not much... of anything (lighting, nutrients, water). A week before you plan to begin harvesting your flowering clones (aka "budcicles" ;) ), simply ramp up your mother plant's lighting and give it a little boost of nutrients so that it begins actively growing again. Okay, maybe two weeks, to allow for the rooting process, but you probably get the picture.

You could even maintain multiple mini-mother plants in this way. If they do begin to overgrow their space or containers, grab the clippers and treat them like any other houseplants, lol. Long term, once per year or so, you could give them a good trimming to reduce the "greenery," then remove them from their containers, cut away a "layer" of soil all around the perimeter and on the bottom (maybe an inch or so, depending on the size of the containers), and use new soil when potting them up in their original containers. The thorough trimming beforehand is done so as to keep the ratio of roots to (remainder of) plant comparable - and to keep your mini-mother station neat, of course.

Why 16 plants in that small space instead of four? I think you'll have an easier time of it that way, actually. Traditionally, SOG style growing is with unbranched plants. Allowing time for them to branch out to fill your space means that they'll also be growing vertically - and you don't have much room in that regard. Use clones, flower them immediately after rooting.

Here is an old journal thread. It was posted by a someone who is no longer a member. But it'll give you an idea about the overall process. Bear in mind that this grower had a significantly larger space and, therefore, was dealing with much larger plant numbers and would have required larger mother plants to supply them.
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. My other issue is getting my hands on clones. Weed is legal in Mass. However nobody sells clones yet. I love your idea on a crap load of plants. Got me thinking will theplants do well in a one hallon pots? That way i can fit 10 maybe 12?

nobody sells clones yet

One plant (along with some time) is capable of producing countless thousands of clones over its lifetime.

will theplants do well in a one hallon pots?

The ones in the thread I linked to were grown in containers roughly half that size. And there was a community grow thread using those shot glass sized Solo cups :rolleyes: .

You'll water more often with smaller containers, of course. And (also "of course") smaller containers tend to produce smaller plants. I suppose it's up to you to decide whether your space is more compatible with a smaller number of larger plants, or a greater number of smaller ones. Having more plants can - and often does - equate to more work, but you can pretty much skip the vegetative growth period... ergo, once you have established a mother (or more than one, if you like), your time to harvest should be that much shorter.

I really prefer growing ONE large plant, in a SCROG, from a somewhat large (20 to 25 gallons) DWC reservoir. But that means a lengthy vegetative growth phase is required to ensure a full screen, places all of my eggs into one basket (IOW, a disaster with one plant could mean no harvest, since there only is one plant), and I'd only be harvesting one strain per grow. So I do not grow with that method very often these days. Everything is a trade-off, lol. Figure out what is most important to YOU, what setups/styles are capable of providing it, and then pick the one that appears to be most compatible with both your skill level and personality (et cetera). The "best" method in the universe isn't the correct one if it happens to be beyond the gardener's skill level and/or es isn't going to be able to deal with its requirements (time, money, whatever).

One plant (along with some time) is capable of producing countless thousands of clones over its lifetime.

The ones in the thread I linked to were grown in containers roughly half that size. And there was a community grow thread using those shot glass sized Solo cups :rolleyes: .

You'll water more often with smaller containers, of course. And (also "of course") smaller containers tend to produce smaller plants. I suppose it's up to you to decide whether your space is more compatible with a smaller number of larger plants, or a greater number of smaller ones. Having more plants can - and often does - equate to more work, but you can pretty much skip the vegetative growth period... ergo, once you have established a mother (or more than one, if you like), your time to harvest should be that much shorter.

I really prefer growing ONE large plant, in a SCROG, from a somewhat large (20 to 25 gallons) DWC reservoir. But that means a lengthy vegetative growth phase is required to ensure a full screen, places all of my eggs into one basket (IOW, a disaster with one plant could mean no harvest, since there only is one plant), and I'd only be harvesting one strain per grow. So I do not grow with that method very often these days. Everything is a trade-off, lol. Figure out what is most important to YOU, what setups/styles are capable of providing it, and then pick the one that appears to be most compatible with both your skill level and personality (et cetera). The "best" method in the universe isn't the correct one if it happens to be beyond the gardener's skill level and/or es isn't going to be able to deal with its requirements (time, money, whatever).
So right. Thereason i want to do photos is for clones!!!!! Next run I'm going to try a bunch of plants at once using SOG. I. Love growing and im realizing i don't have to stick withone way

Back
Top Bottom