How many lumens for the budding cycle?

Petrie9979

This is my first grow and I was wondering how many lumens you should have for 1 plant in a 3ft(length)x3ft(width)x7ft(height) closet. I have blue and red spectrum high intensity lights throughout the closet and wanted to make sure I have enough lumens. I know HPS is the way to go, but I read somewhere that the lumens/spectrum are the most important for growth. I know HPS is the way to go, but I'm trying to save money, plus those produce a lot of heat for such a small room.

Ok, I have about 300 watts worth of bulbs in their now. I started the 12/12 cycle a few days ago. Think that'll be good enough? Also, how long till I see a white hair or sacs?

I take it you are using floros for light? if so make sure to keep them about 1 inch from the tops of your lights.

After you start 12/12 light cycle you should be able to see the white hairs in around two weeks.

Are you plants from seed or clones?

I have 2-50 watt red spectrum and 2-50 watt blue spectrum floro bulbs on top shining down. They arent the spiral shaped blbs, but they have 2 U-shaped bulbs if you understand what I'm talking about. I also have 2-50 watt gro-lux lights shining on either side of the plant. Should I have all the bulbs as close as possible. I have that crinkled foil stuff throughout the whole room so it's pretty bright. I was thinking of adding some tropical-sun high intensity red spectrum lights to the other side of the plant. What do you think?

When using floros you need to keep them, as close to the tops of the plants as possible, I have never used the type you are talking about the u shaped ones. How much heat do they put out? One way to check is put your hand about 1 inch away from your lights and hold it there for 1 min if its to hot for your hand its to hot for your plants.

Your going to have to regulate that if there to hot, but keep all floros as close as possible

They are high intensity bulbs, but they barely produce any heat. I have a thermometer in their and it's a constant 80-83 degrees during the light cycle and 70-75 during the dark cycle. Do you think it would help to get a few more bulbs to shine on the lower part of the plant or is that too much light? I could take pics if it'd help things.

The temp is fine for your plants. You can never have to much light. If the high intensity bulbs don’t produce that much heat that’s perfect. If you want to add more floros go for it. They wont hurt your plants at all. Just keep the lights as close as possible.

In about two weeks your plants will start showing sighns of sex, Boys or Girls. Hopefully you will have all girls.

Also are you using nutes for your plants??

Keep us updated on your grow.

imo, the cfls dont NEED to be 1inch from your plant mine are about 2 inchs from my plants and they are growing bushy and rapid, my box is lined with tin foil aswell and it reflects some of the light back on the plants. do you have a reflective hood for the top lights? I made one outa tinfoil since i noticed ur saving money. im currently using 6 cfl's and im going into 4th day of flower i see 2 females, 3 males, one not shown sex yet so just look everyday for sex. aswell as your more likely to want more blue light spec for veg and red light spec for flower.

I'm not using any nutes. The soil I have is all organic and is suppose to have everything I need as far as nutes. The plant grew 3 feet in about 4-5 weeks during the veg state. As for the floro bulbs I have, the box says that they produce 6500 lumens each. So times that by 4, plus whatever the tube floros that I have (i dont know the lumens on those). I have my grow room pretty much completely covered in reflective crinkled foil stuff. The plant is just over 3 feet now and is about 6 weeks old total. I only started the 12/12 light cycle 2 days ago. I'm going to take a pic of my ghetto setup at around 9 because that's when my light cycle for the 12/12 begins. i'll post it for everyone shortly after that.

I think I'm going to add 2-4ft 50 watt floro tube lights. I'm trying to add more red spectrum lights to my grow room because I was told that red spectrum is what you need for the budding cycle. Does anyone know the color spectrum and lumens that a 50 watt 4 foot cool white floro produces. Sorry for all the questions!! I dont want to screw this up.

bluebox223- I totally understand what you're saying about cutting down the sq footage in my grow room. I was thinking about doing that, but wouldnt that also limit the size of my plant? That's just what I was thinking.

Thanks everyone for your help.

You can't go by watts when comparing HPS to flo's.
Flo's emit 75 lumens per watt.
HPS emit 125 lumens per watt.

You want 6,000+ lumens per sq/ft.

You can solve the heat problem by putting in flo-thru ventilation. And MJ needs fresh air for optimum growth.

Thanks guys. I'm using enough floro's for the 1 plant I have. I eliminated about 2 feet from the top of my grow room. I have a fan for ventilation dont have a heat problem Ranger Danger.

If you put in a small HPS (they make 250 watt models), you will get 2 to 3 times more pot vs. flo's. More potent pot too.

No matter what your light source, MJ needs fresh air for optimum growth.

RD is right, heat problem or not, you still need to provide your plants w/lots of fresh air. Imagine sitting in your grow room w/no fresh air comming in.

Ok, I broke down and got a 400w HPS system. After it comes in, my plant will have been under those floros for about a week. How bad will I fuck up the plant by switching it to that HPS bulb? Also, what's a good homemade ventilation system i can make up for the room. I know I'll need it more now with the HPS bulb. Will leaving the closet door open during the light cycle help? The room itself that the closet is in is dark 24/7. I need some input.

sorry i dont know those answers but what ended up happening?

Back
Top Bottom