How to Save Over 50% on the Cost of Running Lights

Supernaut

I don't know about you guys, but I'm big on efficiency. I don't like to waste money on something when I can easily get it for much cheaper; especially when it comes to giving large monopolies or 'The Man' my money.

So, who's "The Man" I'm talking about? The Electric Company!

A lot of people don't know this, but electricity cost MORE THAN 2x MORE per kw/hr at 2:00 P.M. than it does at 2:00 A.M. There is peak time and off peak time (You'd have to contact your electric company to get exact times as they vary from company to company and region to region).

Why is there a difference in price at different times? Because it costs the electric company more $ to produce more power to meet demand at peak times. It's like the difference between driving 100 miles at 60mph and 100 miles at 100mph, your going to use a lot more gas to go the same distance when your driving your engine harder, hence costing you more money.

Here's a general example. You can see how you can easily save over 50% on your grow operation by playing the system! Prices will NOT be exact, just a general average. Typically, 11:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M. is peak while 11:00 P.M.-5:00 A.M. is off peak. Again, contact your electric company to find out what you pay per kwh and what time peak/off peak times are.

On-peak Demand for electricity is high.
You pay the highest price per kilowatt-hour. Price is higher than basic service. 13.266¢/kWh

Mid-peak Demand for electricity is between on-peak and off-peak. 7.500¢/kWh

Off-peak Demand for electricity is the lowest.
You pay the lowest price per kilowatt-hour. Price is lower than basic service. Sundays are considered off-peak, as are select holidays, including New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. 4.422¢/kWh

The best thing is, your plants only concept of time is derived from the light you give them. Your day can be their night and vice versa.

If you do 18/6 in your veg room and you have lights off from 11pm-5am, you are missing out on the cheapest electricity available. If you have your lights off from 11am-5pm however; you are avoiding paying nearly 3x as much for the same thing. 6 hours of light in peak time is nearly equal to the cost of 18 hours of light in off-peak!

Your flowering room works the same way. However; only having 12 hours to play with might make it a bit harder to coordinate time in your room to work. Lights on from 7pm-7am and off from 7am-7pm is a reasonable time where you can get in there and work in the evening and still save about 50% on the cost of running your lights. If you normally work til 5pm, maybe do 6pm-6am so you can get in there after work and before bed.

If you play the system right, you can run a 1000w light for the cost of about 500w!

I hope this helps out a few people on a budget who are looking for ways to save money. Even if you have cash to burn, why give it to 'them' when you can just buy more weed to smoke with it instead?

So stick it to the man, stay away from peak time electricity and soak up all that super-cheap off peak power!

Hi Super
Wowie Zowie I knew that there was a difference but I never thought it would be that much. Holy Crap 3x more at peak hours. Thanks for the info I will definately take advantage. :thanks: Great reseach on your part :welldone:
:peace:

I would love to take advantage of this but i dont have a lightproof grow room. Would it be a good idea to change the times mid grow? Ive heard that youre supposed to keep the same off or on time when switching to 12/12 thanks for the info!

From what I've learned, you can change the times you run your lights but would want to do it by elongating the dark period first.

Example: if your lights turn Off at 11pm, keep that off time and set your 'on time' later for the transition. After your lights come back on, then you set your off time so you keep the 'lights on' time the same length as it always has been.

I don't know if you'd be better off to do one super long dark period or do it maybe an hour or less every day until you are where you want to be. If anyone can elaborate on this I'm sure it would be helpful.

I always do a long dark period if I'm switching times mid grow. Think of it as a really cloudy day to the plants, dosnt do any harm. But doing a long light period to switch while ur flowering could make hermis.

Back
Top Bottom