Kilowatt hour cost

sk8bd117

I called my electric company, and they told me that my citys rate is .711 kwh. But when i calc, it comes out saying its $383 a month to run my 1000 watt hps on 18 hours a day. Did i hear them wrong or something? Can anyone tell me how many kwh you guys get cause this just doesn't seem right to me.

yeah you heard wrong, its deffinately not 71 cents a kwh. most places are between 8 cents and 18 cents from the various comparison charts i have looked at.

to give you a guide, if your kwh rate is 10 cents, then a 1000 watt bulb at 18hrs a day costs about $60 a month.
Are you positive? If my monthly bill comes and it's $380 more then usual I'm gunna collapse. I just need to be sure.

i dont run a 1000 watt bulb, i run 96watts of T5 lighting, so im not 100%. what i do know is that 71 cents a kwh is way way way way more than i am paying, and probably an incorrect number. get your last power bill, it should say right on it.

It is not possible your paying 71 cents a kilowatt hour. You definately got wrong information. I'm east coast and I'm paying 15 cents a kilowatt hour. Take a look at your electric bill. It will tell you what your paying . You should see what the distributer charges. That number is gonna be low. Probally about 5 cents a kilowatt hour. Then you have a price from your actual electric company. Probally about 10 cents a killowatt hour. That gives you a total of 15 cents a kilowatt hour. You can definately relax a bit. 71 cents is DEFINATELY wrong.

the .71 may be per 100,000 kwh not per kwh

don't know with out seeing electric bill easy rule of thumb check old summer bill with AC on 24/7 if ac eats 1000 watts or better and you compare with spring month with few electric
heaters you'll have idea on what a grow using 1000-1500 watts
24/7 will cost

you might be more costeffective to use two[2] 400's in there both for costs and for better light penetration i'm great lakes area and my system [400] might be 20$ added a month haven't checked bills any how since i got HID light i changed out
most bulbs in the house for cfl's helped a little to keep power load fairly even last i compared bills couple months ago

easy electric guide look at power consumption plate in specs or on back of tv's computers freezers etc and lookat energy rating

bill change from a 475 watt freezer is about equal to a 400 HID plus vent fans
same goes for 1500 watt AC vs 1000 watt HID with venting

not science class acceptable but a good predictable economic guess/theory

any time you see cost estimates for freezers or AC if wattage is close to a grow light size you have approximate estimate on cost during 24 day cycles
during budding time day cycle is half so cost is less....

a watt is a watt is a watt....

I live in washington as well and my cost is .076

You have to get your bill and look at ALL the charges per Kw hr

I am in the Boston area and it is like a total of 13.5 cents per Kwh

Easiest way to figure a true estimate is to take last months bill, divide it by hours you use and you will get the true cost per hour. You can then use the cool matrix to figure your costs

Peace
AB

Back
Top Bottom