How well does vegtable glycerine absorb in your mouth, or can you just swallow it?

Annex420

I wanna make alcohol free tincture, but just wondering how well vegetable glycerine absorbs in your mouth. Its seems pretty thick do you use 2-3 drops like you would with a alc tincture and if you swallow it will it still work as good. also I was think of using around 10g of bud for 250ml of vegtable glycerine is that about right.

According to a brief statement I once read (if I remember correctly) on herblore (dot com), apple cider vinegar has been used to make non-alcoholic tinctures that were still effective. Although I do not know if such a product would still be effective via sublingual application - or only after being swallowed.

I did find a link in my bookmarks to paper that might give you an idea or two, but it might not (I haven't actually read it yet :embarrassment: ) . Its title is "Engineering of a novel optimized platform for sublingual delivery with novel characterization tools: in vitro evaluation and in vivo pharmacokinetics study in human." Here it is if you'd like to check:

Code:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10717544.2017.1334719

I'd be interested in reading of anything you learn about this. I've read that some people are put off by the little bit of "burn" under the tongue from an alcohol-based sublingual product.

So my understanding on this because I am trying to understand the diff between swallowing it and taking it sublingually. So I found this and hope it helps...

The other day, I got such a question that became the topic for this week’s post: just why do we take certain medicines sublingually (under the tongue)?

It made me pause for a second, because it’s not something we think about all that often. But yes, we DO take certain medicines under our tongue. And I know the one obvious answer off the top of my head — “because then the medicine gets absorbed by the body faster” — but then that brought up more questions like “why?” (they hit the bloodstream faster?) And is the medicine then more effective? So I figured this would make an interesting topic to discuss here.

Indeed, almost everyone knows the surface answer — “the medicine is absorbed by the body faster.” But why is that? Well, I’ll tell you ... essentially, when a medicine is placed under your tongue, it diffuses through the mucous membranes beneath your tongue. And because of the plethora of capillaries there, the medicine has a fairly direct route into your bloodstream. This results in the medicine working faster, and oftentimes, better (which you’ll see why in a minute.)

Ok, you say, but WHY does it work faster?

Good question — here’s the answer: When you swallow a pill, it must go through your entire gastrointestinal tract. This means the stomach (with acid and bile), the intestines (where most absorption takes place) and then off to the liver, for some more filtering. And THEN it’s delivered to where it’s needed.

Truthfully, it’s the long way, when you think about it. Going under the tongue bypasses this entire route, and delivers the medication right to the bloodstream. No waiting, no roadblocks — just right into the blood and off to do its job.

In addition to the speed, the medicine delivered sublingually is usually more potent, and (in general terms) needs less medication to do the job it’s intended to do (you may have heard stories about people cutting pills in half, then taking them under the tongue, to produce the same effect as swallowing one pill). The reason for this increased effect is the digestive tract is incredible harsh. And it’s meant to be — it’s how food is broken down, and the nutrients get stripped out, while the waste goes ... well, you know.

This process, without question, will weaken most medication. So that’s why some people will “cut” pills or otherwise take them under the tongue (however, I do not recommend you do this on your own without professional guidance — in other words, ask your doctor before you start cutting your pills in half, no matter what anyone else has told you).

That said, sublingual delivery is actually preferred for certain medications (like cardiovascular drugs, steroids, etc), and recently, vitamins and minerals (in fact, I even came across some spray vitamins while reading about this topic, which I found somewhat humorous at first, but then thought “hey, why NOT?” — I mean, some vitamins are literal horse pills in size, so I guess it just makes sense).

Expanding on that last statement, there are also plenty of people who have a hard time swallowing pills (or perhaps they have a throat condition that makes swallowing anything extremely difficult). For these people, taking medication sublingually (if possible) is definitely an advantage.

So far, it seems sublingual is very advantageous — it’s faster, the medicine is usually more potent, so it brings up another question: Why don’t more (or all) medicines go this route? Well, the first answer is a pill is WAY easier to take then putting something under your tongue and holding it there for 10 minutes or so.

But the “medical” answer is that absorption by your body is far more controlled in solid pill form. With sublingual delivery, you may accidentally swallow some, leading to a somewhat erratic absorption rate (see merckmanuals link below), which could produce unwanted effects. In medication, “dosage” is typically very important (that goes without saying, really). And with a solid pill, there’s little to no question in terms of how much is in the pill, and how much is meant to be absorbed.

This is why (and it’s very important that I stress this) that you ask your doctor before taking anything sublingually that wasn’t “meant” to be. Your doctor may give his or her blessing and say it’s fine, and they may not. And if it’s not good that you cut your pills, perhaps he or she can prescribe a sublingual form, if one exists.

my first try making a hot glycerine extraction using 14g and 250-300ml
been using three or four drops under the tongue, it is pretty thick and won't fully absorb after ten sec or so but whatever gets into your mouth tastes good. kinda sweet

my first try making a hot glycerine extraction using 14g and 250-300ml
been using three or four drops under the tongue, it is pretty thick and won't fully absorb after ten sec or so but whatever gets into your mouth tastes good. kinda sweet

Do you still get the high effects, i'd just be worried id be taking it and not knowing if its working. I want the CBD benefits more then anything, I guess i'd be more calm feeling.

The benefit of taking it sublingual is that it goes directly into the blood you start feeling it in about ten mins.
I think the effects may depend on the strain you used and other factors, vegtable glycerine is not as effective at extracting as alcohol so it won't be as strong but you'll find the dose that you like. The batch I made one or two drops will give me a energizing head high three or four drops is more of a body relaxing stone.

The substance cannot get broken down in the digestive system and lost that way, either.

The benefit of taking it sublingual is that it goes directly into the blood you start feeling it in about ten mins.
I think the effects may depend on the strain you used and other factors, vegtable glycerine is not as effective at extracting as alcohol so it won't be as strong but you'll find the dose that you like. The batch I made one or two drops will give me a energizing head high three or four drops is more of a body relaxing stone.

Thing about the Alcohol method is you have to use 150-180% alc which to me id think would do more harm then good and would taste awful. Then again I guess its 2-3 drops not like you'll get drunk from it. Also using alc is more dangerous to make, I think?

Back
Top Bottom