How will this mix due? (newb)

tokenwhitekid

So, I randomly germed about 20+ bag seeds the 48hr ago. To my suprise 90% sprouted the taproot within 36hr! Totally unprepared I setup a shabby shelf "box" and setup my old 4ft aquarium fluro's. (first grow btw) Using dull foil as reflective. Got each seed in vented dixie cups, and a fan setup.

Anyways, for the medium I used composted dirt/leaves from my backyard, potting soil, and a bit of sand 50/45/5. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea. I saw few bugs in the mix...but planted anyways. So now i've got everything set up, waiting to flip on my lights for vegging 18/6.

Just wandering if this dirt should suffice? I just want to grow the things, one way or another, I will worry about technicalities in later crops.
-Do I NEED to buy nutes?
-When should I actually start the lights?

Sorry for all the Q's, hopefully I can get them all covered in this thread.

TIA!

Thanks!

Pics of the dirt mix will help? I will post pics of my setup ASAP, but I was trying to figure out if anything is going to grow in this make shift mix, as I have no monies for this sort of thing.

Ok, got a hold of a laptop webcam, sorry for the quality.

Ok, here is the dirt:
000804.jpg

Setup at first glimpse:
235510.jpg

Under the towel:
235630.jpg

(The big white thing is the fan)

Moved the fan:
235704.jpg

Lifted "reflector" aka tinfoil:
235722.jpg

The germed seeds have been planted near 24 hours now, and I only have 1 sprout. Is this normal? The surface dirt seems *too* warm and dry, but idk what too warm or dry is as this is my first attempt.

Tips?

Ill repost this in a diff forum section to get more input, too.

I have just gotten into this myself, but found that crack opern seeds that I put in to a potting soil only did sprout into seedlings even after 6 days! Hold out on tossing them for a bit. I had 1 plant that sat doing nothing much for 3 weeks, and it has now turned out quite nice and is close to having caught up with the others. I have transplant them into a mix of the same potting soil but added about 30% seed starter and some perlite to the mix, for water retention. That is when things took off, for me. I will be putting them to 12/12 and flowering next week.

life without harmony isn't life

Anyways, for the medium I used composted dirt/leaves from my backyard, potting soil, and a bit of sand 50/45/5. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea. I saw few bugs in the mix...but planted anyways.

Might have added some perlite for aeration.

You can sterilize soil by spreading a layer on a large flat container and using your oven. Do not use more than a 4" deep layer of soil. Make sure it is moist but not soggy. Wrap it tightly in foil. Preheat the oven to 180F-185F or so and heat the soil for 30 minutes. If you have a good accurate meat/candy thermometer that you can poke into it, it really helps. You want to get the soil to 180F - do NOT let it get over 200F!

Oh, and turn your vent fan on lol.

Bump. Also, when is the soonest I can move them outside? I am in a high risk enviroment.

If you are in a high-risk environment, perhaps you would be better off growing indoors? The riskier the environment, the higher the paranoid level.

There's nothing worse than tending your plants faithfully all season and working with them when a chopper flies overhead and causes you to mess yourself while trying to learn how to breathe dirt and look like a squirrel.

Well, I guess going that final time to harvest them only to find that you were beaten by the rippers that did it for you the night before... THAT would be the worst thing.

Or showing up, working with your plants, and then having the D catch you because the helicopter that scared you into an anxiety attack a few weeks prior actually HAD noticed your plants, LEO had shown up on foot, saw the grow, staked it out, and... That would definitely be the worst worst thing that could happen.

High-risk environments suck. Years ago I was growing and I also lived in a high-risk environment. I decided to grow indoors. Then when I was tending my plants, looked up to wonder what that sound was, realized it was a chopper out scouting for plant sites... I was able to smile and go back to tending my garden. And when a friend came over all depressed because his grow had gotten ripped to the last plant, I was able to toss him a jar and say, "Catch me when you're better fixed." It wasn't the 10-20 pounds he'd been expecting to get for all of his work and worry, but it did cheer him up considerably.

i think i helped you on the other thread member the towel is fire hazard and you might need a lil better soil as well as more space, do you have something planned for when the sprout and start getting big

i think i helped you on the other thread member the towel is fire hazard and you might need a lil better soil as well as more space, do you have something planned for when the sprout and start getting big

Oh yeah, the "How to start a fire with nothing but a grow-light and a towel" thing lol. NOW I remember:cool:.

Multiple threads can be confusing, huh?

Anyways, for the medium I used composted dirt/leaves from my backyard, potting soil, and a bit of sand 50/45/5. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea. I saw few bugs in the mix...but planted anyways. So now i've got everything set up, waiting to flip on my lights for vegging 18/6.
Yes, OK, I understand your soil conditions: Advise to: Watch out ofr bugs in your grow area, when seeds start to sprout out of soils. The cups shown do not have enought soil in them . Fill to 1" from the top.
Start preparing your outdoor area in which these are to be planted in:

No nutes needed for at least 3 weeks: recommend using Fox Fram Gro Big to start with as a liquid feed supplement: Prepare soils outdoors with Cow Manure ( Chicken tends to burn) if you do not know how to use it correctly: Add Hydrated Lime to the outdoor soils: 1 cup per 10 sq ft section. Add perlite in or vermiculite to areate the soils. Some Bone Meal and Blood Meal can help too. Dried Seaweed or Kelp.

Back
Top Bottom