humidity for seedling

teamgilly

I started seeds in soil. Its been 10 days and i have a few seedlings. the humidity is very low like 30 %. A friend of mine said it was to low and to but a humidity dome over the seedlings. every thing i have read says not to do that. What is the best humidity for these little guys and if it is to low how should i rais it?

i have heard of both, i think the humidity dome is a better idea as long as it still allows the light through okay. this might comfort you a little bit, but my girls have been subjected to an avg. of about 25% humidity for their entire lives (bout 30 days), and they are looking BEAutiful. i've tried putting a humidifier in there, helped a little. i've heard that you can foliar feed as well and that will keep it a little more humid.

make sure you keep your ladies watered if the humidity is that low, it makes the environment a little drier, so you need to water a little more frequently. good luck

they say that you should give it a wet/dry period. meaning that you wet them, and pretty much make sure they are dry before you water them again. i read a thread that said (that rhymed) the roots soak up the water, and then as the soil dries out, they reach out for more and stretch through the soil, and that's how the plant grows.

how much did you give them the last time you watered and when was that?

it was a day...see this what i do. By the time i wake up in the morning... the soil is dry since i have my lights on for 24/0 (only intel flowers sprout out of soil, then i will go in 12/12) when i wake up i water it only a little bit, then it stays moist for the whole day and i wont water again intel i wake up. and by the time i wake up its dry.

has your seed not even sprouted out of the soil yet? and when it does you are going into 12/12? i apologize if i am confused, but if that's right, how much water are you giving it everyday?

1.No it hasnt sprouted yet
2.Yes when it does im going straight to 12/12
3.Im watering it everyday or if its dry i will water it, basically by the time i wake up the next day its already dry so ill water it again.
4.Ill give it about a 1/2 cups worth of water since my pot is only 6"inches(Im guessing thats my problem not enough of water huh)

Its already germinated, i check to see if the white stem has gotten longer and longer by time and it has but its moving a little slow...(I thinks he seed isnt that good or im just no watering it enough when its gets dry)

I planted it on the 3rd of 4th of Jan. cant remember which 1.

Great news:

DIGI00026.JPG

Just checked and see if its sprouting more, and it is it look like another water and another day or 2 it will be sprouted into a flower.( dont worry i will cover it back with soil i was just takin a pic for you all to see where its at)

i hope you just moved the soil for the sake of that picture, otherwise you need to bury that thing. just because the soil is dry on top doesn't mean that it's dry underneath. that's how a lot of people end up overwatering. a lot of people say you really shouldn't water everyday, some don't even do it but like once every 5 or 6 days (not for a seed that small). i read a book where the guy was giving his plant a quart of water on the tenth day, and he didn't water it for like 8 or 9 days after that. maybe try putting a cup on it tomorrow (if you haven't watered it since this morning) and then leaving it alone until about Thursday evening. and make sure you cover that thing up. should be about 1/4 inch down

a little tip for the future: when your plant gets a bigger root system, water in stages. by this i mean, if you are going to give it a quart, give it 2 cups, and then the other 2 about 20-30 minutes later. this is important b/c as the roots grow, there is a natural build-up of unused/waste material. as the soil dries, this material dries near the roots. when you water in stages, you loosen up that old sediment with the first half of the feeding, and then basically "FLUSH" it out with the second half. if you water all at one time, the stuff can sometimes just sit there and may cause health issues for your plant. this might be pushing it a bit, but it makes sense.

i hope you just moved the soil for the sake of that picture, otherwise you need to bury that thing. just because the soil is dry on top doesn't mean that it's dry underneath. that's how a lot of people end up overwatering. a lot of people say you really shouldn't water everyday, some don't even do it but like once every 5 or 6 days (not for a seed that small). i read a book where the guy was giving his plant a quart of water on the tenth day, and he didn't water it for like 8 or 9 days after that. maybe try putting a cup on it tomorrow (if you haven't watered it since this morning) and then leaving it alone until about Thursday evening. and make sure you cover that thing up. should be about 1/4 inch down

a little tip for the future: when your plant gets a bigger root system, water in stages. by this i mean, if you are going to give it a quart, give it 2 cups, and then the other 2 about 20-30 minutes later. this is important b/c as the roots grow, there is a natural build-up of unused/waste material. as the soil dries, this material dries near the roots. when you water in stages, you loosen up that old sediment with the first half of the feeding, and then basically "FLUSH" it out with the second half. if you water all at one time, the stuff can sometimes just sit there and may cause health issues for your plant. this might be pushing it a bit, but it makes sense.
:thanks: I gotcha but of course i did cover it back up remember i said "( dont worry i will cover it back with soil i was just takin a pic for you all to see where its at)"

my time zone is EST, so by u saying watering it again in the morning, i will have to water it by at least tonight b4 i go to sleep or by 12:00am. Cuz it hasn't been watered since last night/this morning... So either i might water it tonight or in the morning...but i think ima give it a cup tonight and 1/2 of cup in the evening tomarrow. Then leave it alone intel wed/Thurs like u said, by then i think it will show. Thanks again

sorry about repeating the cover up thing. don't know how i missed it. basically seedlings just shouldn't be soaked. if you give them a good feeding, and then wait a couple days, they'll be fine. just don't overwater right now, that would be bad. i usually try to water the plant at whatever time i am going to be watering it during flower. i live in EST as well, so i water mine at about 7am right now, and then when i am in flower, the lights come on at about 6:30, so it works out perfectly. always water your girls in their morning

sorry about repeating the cover up thing. don't know how i missed it. basically seedlings just shouldn't be soaked. if you give them a good feeding, and then wait a couple days, they'll be fine. just don't overwater right now, that would be bad. i usually try to water the plant at whatever time i am going to be watering it during flower. i live in EST as well, so i water mine at about 7am right now, and then when i am in flower, the lights come on at about 6:30, so it works out perfectly. always water your girls in their morning

Oh np, its no biggie.....

And Cool, so we water almost about the same time. ATM my lights are 24/0 but im starting 12/12(6am-6pm) once its sprouts...

Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and spend 5 bucks for a moisture meter and use it to check how dry the soil really is. Never water based on what the top layer looks like because it will dry out really fast. You need to water based on the soil where the roots are.
And you can do what you want as far as putting your baby into flower but I would strongly suggust that you veg for at least 4 weeks. I'm guessing that if you switch to 12/12 as soon as it pops the surface, it will take a few weeks just to get it to go into flower. The older your baby is, the easier it is to get it to switch to flower

Dude, go to Lowes or Home Depot and spend 5 bucks for a moisture meter and use it to check how dry the soil really is. Never water based on what the top layer looks like because it will dry out really fast. You need to water based on the soil where the roots are.
And you can do what you want as far as putting your baby into flower but I would strongly suggust that you veg for at least 4 weeks. I'm guessing that if you switch to 12/12 as soon as it pops the surface, it will take a few weeks just to get it to go into flower. The older your baby is, the easier it is to get it to switch to flower

thanks but she's been sprouted out the soil like last week. Thanks tho

Back
Top Bottom