Hydro setup advice?

ThinkBigGetBig

420 Member
Ok so, my current idea is to do a DWC/Low-Pressure Aero setup.
I plan on running 2 tents(5x5), each with 1000W and 4 plants manifolded to 16 colas each.
however ive got a semi-issue. my totes are insanely large, like 50 gal. so do i run 1 tote per tent and train the plants sideways a little, or do i just do 1 tent at 2000W and 2 totes??
Thanks!

A 50-gallon reservoir is a little large for one plant; I typically ran 23- to 25-gallon sized ones. You can grow large plants in the size I used (meaning a solid eight to twelve square foot canopy) - and, while you could grow some true monsters in 50-gallon reservoirs, in practical terms, you'd probably be shooting yourself in the foot by doing so because the extra vegetative-growth time it would take in order to make full use of a reservoir of that size would most likely cost you at least one harvest per year (assuming that you would be growing constantly).

I wouldn't advise using one DWC reservoir for more than one plant. It locks you into feeding the plants the same things at the same strengths. If one plant ends up getting some sort of disease/etc. that can be transmitted via root systems, all of the plants sharing the same reservoir will have it. And it is within the realm of possibility that one plant could end up "taking over," that is to say, consuming more than its share of nutrients.

Simple solution: Buy more reservoirs, lol. If you intend to grow four plants in each tent, go with a total of eight reservoirs. My suggestion would be something in the 13- to 17-gallon size, which will be adequate to fill your tents (assuming you keep the levels of dissolved oxygen high enough). You can get reasonably sturdy ones cheaply and, while buying eight will cost you a bit, since you're okay with paying the electric bill for 2,000 watts of lighting, aeration devices, (presumably) fans, et cetera each month, another $100 (at a guess) for materials shouldn't be all that much of a burden.

I will be growing constantly and upping my system to 3 tents and a lot more lights after the first harvest
the original idea was a SOG grow, and i still think i might go to that on the 2nd or 3rd grow, its why i originally got these totes.

if you think going for more but smaller res' is the way to go then ill see what i can do about finding some and making an RDWC.

unfortunately in my area finding hydro parts is a little difficult and expensive but oh well you get out what you put in eh?

RDWC isn't exactly one plant per reservoir, lol. But it should work, too. Just be extra vigilant in watching for any "ills" that may be borne through the root systems, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom