Hydroponic Growing Medium of Choice?

NEWGROHYDR0

For you more experienced w. hydro growers, im curious what your growing medium of choice is and why.

Thank You

Re: Hydroponic Growing Medium of Choice ?

Anybody? There must be some hydro gurus on the thread..

I use grow plugs to start the plants off. Then I place them into coconut cups and fill in the gap around the plugs with hydroton, then I place the cups into plastic baskets which are then placed into my rainforest system for vegging, then I place the vegged plants into 2 gallon buckets of hydroton (expanded clay pellets) for flowering. I use ebb & Flow for flowering.

Why you ask?
My hydro store guy told me too.:cheesygrinsmiley:
Also I like hydroton cause It can be reused over and over again. Just gotta clean it off between uses.

I use the same as stix....mostly. "Grodan" brand Rockwool plugs, then into 3 inch rockwool cubes, which set in the flood table all covered up by Hydroton.

Note: If using rockwool, always buy growing grade rockwool, and soak it over night in 5.5-5.8ph treated water before adding clones or seedlings.

And Stix.....you had one of the sickest growrooms ever!!! Nice bud too man!!!:peace:

There are more hydro mediums then this. But these are some of the more popular ones.

likes-

Rockwool- the best in my opinion. when mixed with clay pellets it works even better.

Expanded clay pellets- very good medium. doesn't retain water very well. but when used with rockwool cubes, they work great.

Air- if you have the right setup, you don't need a medium.

Indifferent-

Oasis cubes- I have not used these. But i hear they work well, similar to Rockwool.

Vermiculite- okay for hydro, similar to perlite. great for shroom cultivation I hear.

Lava rock- its ok if you mix it right.

Dislikes

Perlite- as its own medium it is messy and just a pain in the ass. but i have used it, and it does work. but never again.

cocunut husks- or whatever that shit is called, good for organic. But messy.

sand- eh?

Gravel- eh eh?

Like stiz i use plugs or rapid rooters to start then put them in a rockwool cube and but the rockwool cube in hydroton rocks

It depends on what system you use to what mediums are suitable. If run to waste then hydroton or coco coir or rockwool can be used. If drip you have the same. NFT requires more of a solid medium like rockwool.
What system are you using? It would help us help you with your choices.

I like 2in rockwool cubes in netted pots filled w/ hydroton as well. Good moisture retention and aeration. And it seems to hold the heavier, taller, flowering plant up better than some other methods, in my few experiences.

rockwool and hydroton for me too.
Rockwool is the anchor from the beginning and the clay pellets compliments them and are reuseable.

Back
Top Bottom