I have a MH, should i use it.

zxcvbnm

My 400w hps is a conversion ballast and i do have the mh bulb. Right now seedlings are 4 days old on 20/4 in a grow box with 2 75w cfls about 3 inches off the top of the plant. Temp is good 77 in the hottest part of the day.

My question is when i move them into the closet should i get more cfls or use the mh? Naturally i would say mh all the way but that sucker gets hot and that means that i have to have the ac cranked up all day which means power for the light and ac will jack the bill up pretty high.

Other option is to split the 20 hours in half first hotter part run cfls then the last cooler half add the mh on top of that.(I have about 7 timers so i could def. rig some stuff up.)

Any advise would be great.

P.S. Im def gonna flower with the hps.

you seem to have answered your own question. The plants will like the MH light better than the CFL's, as long as you can keep the heat under control. Otherwise, I would just run the CFL's through veg and use the HPS for flower.

Yea i guess my delievery wasnt great.

Is it worth it to ues the mh intermitently(spelling) with the cfls, considering the power bill factor? Or will the difference not be as drastic than if i just used the cfls

i would just use the cfl's unless they are stretching...showing that they need more light. If they are over 30 inches tall use the MH. Depends on how tall your trees are. Using less energy is being safe instead off sorry

I think more light is always better. Try running the cfl's on a timer 18/6 and set the mh to run 8/16. So the cfl's would be on for 5 hours before and after the mh. Kinda like the soft lighting durring sunrise and sunset. Can you set it so the plants' "day starts at 6PM? That means the lights will be on during the coldest times so you don't have to use a/c.

good idea charlie, i'm putting that knowledge to use

Back
Top Bottom