I Tried A Hemp Facial And The Relaxation Just Wouldn't Quit

Ron Strider

Living in Colorado in 2017 means hearing about marijuana daily: the medicinal benefits, new grow operations, and (let's face it) the recreational puff-puff pass, are all the rage right now.

What we don't hear much about, however, is the actual hemp plant – a specific variety of Cannabis with myriad uses from health products to construction materials. So when we heard that Nature's Root spa, the world's first-ever hemp spa opened outside of Denver (with plans to open new locations in New York, Oregon, and Jamaica) we had to check it out.

Enter the 60-minute Restorative Facial with house-made hemp oil extract and CBD-infused Sore Muscle Salve. CBD is cannabis's non-psychoactive component, and an ingredient that researchers have identified as a potential treatment for health disorders ranging from infection to diabetes.

When used in a facial, "CBD may help soothe anxiety and inflammation," said Nature's Root spa aesthetician, Kristen White. "And it helps plump and refresh the skin."

The Restorative Facial incorporates classic facial techniques like exfoliation and extraction with ultra-relaxing upper-body, hand, feet, and facial massages. In short, it's as close to full-body pampering as a facial can realistically be. After cleansing my skin with a creamy avocado- and coconut- cleanser, White set the steamer on full blast (to coax open those clogged pores) and applied an enzyme-based exfoliate packed with antimicrobials and probiotics that dissolve surface build up. "The way I like to explain it is like little Pac-Mans eating away the dead skin," White said. While the Pac-Mans (or is it Pac-Men?) worked their magic, White massaged my arms and hands with a rosemary-lavender hemp lotion. CBD's anti-inflammatory properties are especially useful when it comes to massage, according to White.

Next up came extractions, which White explained are a necessary evil. Although they can be painful and actually release bacteria if we're not careful (if you've ever squeezed a blackhead only to get a full-on raging pimple, you know what I mean), they help clear out the skin so the ingredients of forthcoming products can better penetrate. Lucky for me, extractions were followed with a tranquilizing hemp-oil facial massage, and I'm happy to report I experienced zero blemishes thanks to a combination of excellent extraction technique and a pleasantly cool, antimicrobial rose-hydrosol mist that White applied immediately after the squeezing was complete.

By this point I was feeling so relaxed I imagined myself melting right into the table never to be seen or heard from again. White applied a skin-brightening vitamin C mask with lemon oil and pearl powder, and while my face was soaking it up, she used high-CBD Sore Muscle Salve to massage my feet and ankles. The house-made blend is infused with hemp oil, menthol, vitamin E, and aloe, so it both soothed and cooled my tired feet well after the massage was over.

Nature's Root's line of organic hemp products are all made in-house with hemp sourced from farms across the country, thanks in part to the Colorado Hemp Project, which aims to cultivate hemp as the next big renewable recourse. I bought myself some Sore Muscle Salve to keep next to my computer, so I'll be relaxing straight through the weekend.

Facial_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: I Tried a Hemp Facial and the Relaxation Just Wouldn’t Quit | Allure
Author: I Tried a Hemp Facial and the Relaxation Just Wouldn’t Quit | Allure
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: Allure - Beauty Tips, Trends & Product Reviews | Allure

Back
Top Bottom