Iditadrug: Of Mackey, Mushing and Marijuana

Weedpipe

420 Member
Three-time Iditarod champion Lance Mackey may have to mush without marijuana in next year's race.

Iditarod Trail Committee officials have announced plans to test mushers for drugs and alcohol in March. Officials haven't decided who will get tested, or when, where and how it will be done. "It might be random. It might be a group of mushers at a specific checkpoint," said Stan Hooley, executive director of the committee.

Alaska law allows for personal possession of up to one ounce of marijuana, provided the use occurs at home. In addition, Mackey, as a throat cancer survivor, has a medical marijuana card that entitles him to use the drug legally for medical purposes.

Mackey admits marijuana has helped him stay awake and focused through the 1,100-mile race, but he insists it doesn't give him an edge.

"It isn't the reason I've won three years in a row," Mackey told the Anchorage Daily News. "I think it's a little bit ridiculous," he said of the new policy. "It is a dog race, not a human race. It doesn't affect the outcome of the race."

While Iditarod dogs have long been tested for a lengthy list of prohibited substances, the humans they are pulling – despite the Iditarod having had an informal drug and alcohol policy since 1984 – never have.

Mackey doesn't blame the Iditarod board for creating the new policy, but he contends he is being targeted by other mushers jealous of his three straight Iditarod titles.

Despite his medical marijuana clearance, Mackey said he will not pursue a therapeutic use exemption; instead, he'll just abstain for a while.

"I'm going to pee in their little cup," he said. "And laugh in their face."

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: ohmidog.com
Copyright: 2009 ohmidog
Website:ohmidog! Iditadrug: Of Mackey, mushing and marijuana

Well, now the champion dog sled driver joins the guy who won more swimming competition gold medals and the latest two time Cy Young Award winning major league baseball player. And they did it while spending all of their time on the couch watching tv and eating cheetos!

Back
Top Bottom