If Cannabis Is Legalized, Portugal Could Be A Window Into California's Future

So screw the adults let them continue to be thrown in jail because kids can't smoke?

So again... screw the kids who don't know better when adults can and do know better hence them not being the ones highest on the incarceration rate???? It is all there in the stats everyone asked for from norml. Again sir... like it was said to me and I mean this in no disrespectfull way, the stats do not back your statement as it is 15-24 who are the ones being thrown in jail the most. We can cut most of them off if we lower it to 18 and over and education and preventive education to those under 18.

I am not talking about kids smoking and am sorry if I am not making my point clear.... it should be 18 and over and then I could go with this bill. Education for those under 18. Sorry I care about kids more than I do the adults... This bill agian does nothing for those that were arrested.

also... both governor candidates say they will not sign it regardless what the people want...LOL. So again... the answer... holding elected offials accountable and the good ol' boys as well.

The more and more I dig into this I am finding that alot of people are being hooked into this so that people who are already exporting from this state can grow legally without question and the fact that the man backing this bill will make millions off of it. Again this is about money... without the concern for those who are the highest on the incarceration stats.

People over 21 are still being arrested and jailed. I know younger people are more reckless and more likely to get caught with cannabis by doing some stupid things. They are still being arrested right now and voting no will not help them anymore then voting yes.

Won't we be able to hold elected officals and leo accountable even more if this passes? We are trying to hold them accountable and your right we need to continue do that however and whenever injustices happen. I completely agree that it should be 18 and over but with the alcohol limited to 21 and over I don't see that happening sadly. Having the age limit the same as alcohol will get more of the voters that are on the fence. They tried to write this so the majority will vote for it.

Now regardless if the governor signs this into law or not this will be a massive step in the right direction. It has taken decades to get this far. This will force the people in power to come to terms that this is a major issue that needs addressing.

When people voted for Obama's town hall cannabis questions he simply brushed it off with a joke not taking it seriously at all. That people can vote this into law will absolutely force this not to be taken as a joke but a serious issue. Maybe when it finally is a serious issue to those in power real changes can be made. I'm looking at this as a world changer not just in cali. The ramifications of actually legalizing cannabis can change the world for the better. I know this isn't a perfect law and I understand your points but I don't understand how voting no can help the movement in the least if not hurting it. Voter initiatives are going to be the only way of legalizing and we need to stand together to make it happen.

No worries about spelling mate as long as I can figure it out it's all good.

Don't get me wrong brother... I want this as much as anyone. I am just fearfull for those who are our youth and for us. I sure hope I am made to look like a fool on this one as I sure hope I am not right.

Me too. I glad we can all stay civil when we all feel so passionately about this issue. Now if leo would act a little civil as well we be in a much better place.

lol I know right.

I am a dreamer

I think Portugal sets an important sociological and legal precedent. In my opinion, the most important thing is to educate the voters about the absolute bullshit that the federal government has been feeding them for 70 years. We are all working on turning things around to repeal prohibition of cannabis. There are technical disagreements on execution of policy, but we're all on the same page. Myself, I don't have a problem with kids under 21 getting busted for alcohol or pot. That's just the way it is...or will be. But if starting to decriminalize weed for adults 21 and over is the first step, then I will vote to support that first step. At least the law would make major progress. In 5 years, more progress and so it goes. MMJ was legalized in 1996 in CA, 14 years later we're looking at virtual decriminalization for adults with taxation and regulation. We are making progress, one step at a time.

You have to admit there is a big difference getting busted for alcohol then there is marijuana. Big difference that can have major ramification for our youth. That is the problem I have for it. If it was treated like alcohol... they to be honest... I would have no problem with this bill.

You have to admit there is a big difference getting busted for alcohol then there is marijuana. Big difference that can have major ramification for our youth. That is the problem I have for it. If it was treated like alcohol... they to be honest... I would have no problem with this bill.
After MJ is legal for recreational use for 21+, like alcohol is, then youth punishments for MJ will become less severe, just like youth punishment eventually decreased after alcohol was re-legalized.

After MJ is legal for recreational use for 21+, like alcohol is, then youth punishments for MJ will become less severe, just like youth punishment eventually decreased after alcohol was re-legalized.

Sorry sir but it will not. With the economy the way it is... most youth are possibly on financial aid for school instead of working... if caught they loose that. Also aid from the state like foodstamps and such... goes bye bye as well. Alcohol is not as severe.... funny you can commit murder and still get aid. Grow a plant or get arrested on a drug charge and you are black listed.

Man I hate this system!

Well my experience was much different dealing with MJ and the law as a kid (and that was before 215) like i said before, getting busted for possession as a kid allowed me to keep my license....if i would have been caught with alcohol instead of weed that night i would have lost my job, my license and my car. Instead I was released, drove home and only lost two hours of my time in drug rehab a few weeks later.

I strongly believe, just as MMJ helped relax enforcement against recreational users ,rec'MJ , even for 21+ only, will similarly relax enforcement against youth.

I hope so brother. Cause if not we will have alot of youth who will be desperate and no where to turn to but hard core crime by learning it from their celly.

All good arguments. I don't think that there's even a REMOTE possibility that they'll just say "f*** it, its fully legalized, do whatever you want with MJ". Not ever. It can't be done all at once, and this law is a foot in the door. I think this law is much better than nothing at all, it's not perfect, but it's SOMETHING. I don't, however, think that they could really take all financial aid and gov. benefits from people 18-21 that get caught smoking pot. I think it's just unrealistic. The percentage of people that smoke pot in that age group is very high. And if they did really go through with that on a serious level, then I think that the kids would just get wise to it and be more discreet. I would liken it to smoking pot while working for an employer that drug tests. They'll just learn to be careful.

Yea.. I see your point as well. But being hit by this economy... I have had to file for both and they ask if you have been convicted of drug offenses and they will drop your cases. I think it only deals with felony drug offense issues.

The more and more I dig into this I am finding that alot of people are being hooked into this so that people who are already exporting from this state can grow legally without question and the fact that the man backing this bill will make millions off of it. Again this is about money... without the concern for those who are the highest on the incarceration stats.

without money though, then it would never be considered.. money is the grease that makes the world go 'round..

Now regardless if the governor signs this into law or not this will be a massive step in the right direction. It has taken decades to get this far. This will force the people in power to come to terms that this is a major issue that needs addressing.

When people voted for Obama's town hall cannabis questions he simply brushed it off with a joke not taking it seriously at all. That people can vote this into law will absolutely force this not to be taken as a joke but a serious issue. Maybe when it finally is a serious issue to those in power real changes can be made. I'm looking at this as a world changer not just in cali. The ramifications of actually legalizing cannabis can change the world for the better. I know this isn't a perfect law and I understand your points but I don't understand how voting no can help the movement in the least if not hurting it. Voter initiatives are going to be the only way of legalizing and we need to stand together to make it happen.

I agree so much with this.. once it gets out there,, it will spread, this is the right step, and will get other states to take it seriously..

No worries about spelling mate as long as I can figure it out it's all good.
spelling is all made up anyways,,, right? who says the first guy got it right :) my spelling sucks too ;)

yes, good point,, it may not happen over night, but it will happen.. eventually...

Yea.. I see your point as well. But being hit by this economy... I have had to file for both and they ask if you have been convicted of drug offenses and they will drop your cases. I think it only deals with felony drug offense issues.

as it is now,, possesion, by a minor, is not a felony,, is it? and that will not change,, so they will not lose all the benefits you mentioned?

I'm still supporting the democratic principle of majority rules. If the new law benefits the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE, that is adults over 21, then the minority who are adversely affected -18 to 20 year olds- will have to lobby to change the adverse affects the new law imposes upon them when they have been tried, convicted and victimized, stigmatized or whatever. I just cannot appreciate that the law is not worth supporting if 30,000,000 people benefit and 150,000 are subject to punishment or whatever the numbers are. It's a disproportionate benefit for adults - of which I am one- so too bad for the minority who, over time, might say, 'yeah, I did something stupid when I was a kid and got busted for pot'. Big deal.

Back
Top Bottom