If Homegrown MMJ Is Legalized, What About The Sick Who Are Unable To Grow It?

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
It's understandable why Connecticut medical marijuana advocates are looking to Rhode Island as a model. Rhode Island's already approved homegrown medical pot, authorized three marijuana growing/dispensary operations, picked out who should run them, and has a governor who appears to be fully behind the program.

Except there seems to be a weird disconnect between Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee's office and his state's chief medical marijuana advocates about the urgent need to get those state-licensed dispensaries up and running.

"It's so frustrating," says JoAnne Leppanen, executive director of the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition, the group pushing the hardest for medical marijuana in that state. She says Chafee's timid decision to delay the startup of the dispensary program means lots of patients looking for pain relief from devastating illnesses are suffering needlessly.

"We've had patients going up to the State House begging for medicine," Leppanen says.

Chafee put the new dispensary system on hold weeks ago in reaction to a U.S. Department of Justice memo that appeared to threaten prosecution of state-authorized growing and dispensary programs like the one gearing up in Rhode Island. He ordered his legal eagles to review the issue, and that review is still going on despite a more recent federal memo indicating such operations really wouldn't risk federal law-enforcement action.

That Rhode Island review is slogging ahead despite New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's recent decision to give the go-ahead to his state's very similar medical marijuana dispensary program.

Chafee's spokesman, Michael Trainor, says there's no rush to complete the review because Rhode Island has already legalized homegrown medical marijuana, which he argues eliminates any issue about access to medical pot.

Leppanen insists that's just flat out wrong.

She acknowledges there are now more than 3,200 Rhode Island patients with doctors' prescriptions authorizing them to use marijuana for medical purposes. But the Rhode Island law requires medical pot grown at home must be grown indoors ( to prevent pot-heads from stealing it ), and Leppanen says that raises all kinds of problems for seriously ill people who are in pain and often short of money.

"A lot of our patients are too sick to grow their own; others live in public housing and can't grow marijuana there," she explains. Although the Rhode Island law allows a patient's caregiver to grow a limited number of pot plants for restricted medical purposes, Leppanen points out that many patients in need of marijuana as medication don't have any caregivers able or willing to grow weed.

There's also the issue of cost, expertise and time. It can be expensive to create an indoor grow room, particularly for patients on limited disability incomes that are often less than $1,000 a month. Many people simply don't know how to grow anything, and even if they do get some grass planted, Leppanen says it can be months before any weed is ready for harvesting.

"It can be a challenge," she says. "If you're starting chemotherapy and your doctor signs a prescription, it could take six months" before that patient gets the relief from pain and nausea he or she is seeking, Leppanen explains.

"We have an immediacy problem, and that's a huge access problem," insists Leppanen.

Connecticut's General Assembly passed a medical marijuana bill in 2007, only to see it vetoed. A similar proposal died in the legislature this year when opponents threatened to talk it to death. Supporters of the concept say there's a good chance some form of medical pot legislation will finally get through in 2012 with Gov. Dannel Malloy's backing.

The way things are going in Rhode Island, that state may not be quite the perfect model medical marijuana advocates here are seeking.

linden.jpg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Hartford Advocate (CT)
Copyright: 2011 New Mass. Media, Inc.
Details: MapInc
Author: Gregory B. Hladky

Same Bullshit going on in New Jersey. Almost 2 years and no dispensaries yet. Talk of reducing THC levels down to only 25% of normal levels, no personal growing, only 6 dispensary licenses for the most populated state in the USA. My Primary Care Physician, who has been giving me Narcotics, said sure I'd be happy to prescribe Med Marijuana for you after I told him it worked better. That was a year and a half ago. They were supposed to open in July. When I called his nurse to ask about getting a card, she said "Don't ever bring the subject up with him again, NO". Obviously new restrictions have Doctors so freaked out they would rather prescribe Deadly Addictive Oxys than Medical Pot. How F'd up is that???!! It's up to us to get our own best health care products, or Move to where you can, sad state of affairs, Government just sucks

Hey chuck i live in AZ and where going through some dispensary problems now too! Maybe next year yet weve all run out and switched our meds to MMJ from other more harmful, more addictive pills!!!!! In AZ we have to now become part of a CLUB in order to at least recieve our meds!!!!! Why vote on such issues if these laws will just be vetoed or tossed aside!!!! Its rubbish!!!!

I agree Vince. Eventually we could overwhelm them until they have to legalize it. Me, I'm planning on moving up to Maine just so I can get legal pain relief daily, grow it myself, know what it is exactly that I'm smoking and know it is exactly the best strains for what I need it for. And it is God's country up there for sure, and as my best friend that lives there tells me, "If anyone fucks with you, you stick a gun up their ass". People Mind their own business up there, lol. And as an added benefit, the 'good mushrooms' grow wild up there all over the place, they are supposed to totally legalize pot in 2012, growing plots no longer need special security, only a fence if you grow outside, land is dirt cheap, and compared to the state I live in, mine is like Communist China, and it is FREE up there. Sad state of affairs to have to leave, but want to, and the only way to deal with daily crippling pain safely. Lets face it, the government doesn't give one shit about the people, only corporate profits of the deadly poisons they sell for legalized pain management. Buried one son already from that shit. Peace and good health
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom