IL: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Close To Opening

Robert Celt

The biggest marijuana dispensary in the state is set to open its doors in a few weeks. HCI Alternatives will open in Springfield. The business could bring in millions for the state.

It was predicted bringing this business to Illinois would raise millions, but some say, with only 4,000 patients on the approval list, it won't be bringing in the big bucks anytime soon. Owners of HCI Alternatives say they're confident their customer base will grow over time.

"I'm not so worried about the patient count being low now. I think, you ask me that a year from now and I might give you a different answer."

CEO of HCI Alternatives Chris Stone is confident the grand opening of his dispensary will keep up with supply and the demand will follow.

"The program is still in its infancy stage. I think that will probably subside as more patients realize that we're actually open."

Of the 4,000 patients approved to purchase medical marijuana, some say it's not enough and the business is off to a slow start. Some say it's because Governor Rauner did not expand the program to include conditions like PTSD.

"That's his decision. We're going to continue with our job to the best of our ability and make sure we do provide relief to those patients who are already certified."

HCI Alternatives is one of a kind. It's the biggest dispensary in Illinois at 6,000 square feet. It will feature edibles, oils, creams and alternative medicine which can fight the effects of diseases.

"I'm very excited. This is my hometown, so if we can bring some type of relief to patients in my hometown, it's a long dream come true."

Opening a medical marijuana business, means owners expect the cash flow to be booming.

"I know it's a concern for the industry because there's a lot of money in here and it's a business and we want to make sure that we're lucrative to continue."

Soon, they'll be able to accept debit cards instead of cash.

"Any PIN debit card, so your local bank, you can come in and use it."

It's been a long process with many hoops to jump through, but Stone says he's excited to get the ball rolling.

"Once they're open and they just started opening in November, we're going to start seeing an increase in patient numbers and, I think from that point, the nervousness from the industry will relax."

HCI's grand opening is scheduled for February 15. The dispensary is one of three in Central Illinois; the others are in Quincy and Canton.

HCI is the closest to Champaign County. Construction began in August, 2015, and represents a $2 million investment to Springfield's economy.

Dispensary.jpeg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: IL: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Close To Opening
Author: Emilee Fannon
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom