Inside the Crackpot Idea Tent

Blazer420

I know I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I thought I would change that a bit with this thread.

First a little background. I grow for the pure fun of it. I love trying new things and way out there ideas I come up with after having some special time with my vape. :love: Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't but one thing is for sure I'm always learning something and I always get a surprise. Added bonus, I usually get some good stuff at the end for my trouble.

Having said that, I have a 4' x 4' x 80" tent that I call "The Lab." Its in there that I play with all sorts of techniques, strains, ideas, etc. The tent is set up very basically so that I have certain things that are always constants so when I do try something new, its that new thing that stands out. Here is what never changes...

1000w air cooled HID (carbon canister -> 44cfm fan -> light hood -> exhaust)
UltraSun MH for veg, Hortilux Super HPS for flower
7 gallon Smart Pots
VermiFire soil straight from bag
Earth Juice Grow, Bloom & Catalyst applied exactly according to label instruction (no aerating for PH as I never have seen a need)
RO water
NEVER more than 5 plants - usually 4
All plants in there come from seed not clones

With those "constants" dialed in and never changing, it allows me to play with other things as I mentioned above.

So with this run, I have decided to try a new "plant starting method." Note I did not say seed start, since I think this goes beyond that as you'll see. The grow consists of 2x HSO Em-Dog, 1x Super Strains Amnesia, and 1x Paradise Seeds Original Cheese. These are all strains I have grown before and I know them pretty well.

This run started with a simple question - "How can I veg longer and have a more mature plant prior to flower without having a monster & hard to control plant?"

What I came up with started at germ. I got the seeds going with the paper towel method. Once the tap roos just started to show, I filled 4 2"x2"x2" starter pots with FF Light Warrior right from the bag, then soaked them with RO water, let the soil settle, re-filled with soil and heavily watered again. Then the seeds were planted.

Once the seeds started to break through, I put them under a very old T5 with an old "yellowed" plastic lamp cover about 36" above the plants. The seeds sprouted and began a massive stem stretch - just what I had hoped for. In about 10 days the plants just started getting their first set of true leaves and the coly's were about 5" above the soil. Once the second set of true leaves started poking out I went on to my next step.

I filled my smart pots with the straight from the bag VermiFire. I dug down to a depth that when the seedlings were transplanted, that there would be barely 1/2" between the soil and the coly's. I dropped the original Light Warrior "plugs" into the hole and back filled with more Light Warrior to act as a buffer before those tender plants hit the hot soil. These were put right into the tent with the 1k light set at 75% power and raised about 30" above the soil.

For about the next 12 days only RO water was used and at a rate of maybe 3 oz/plant every 2 days. It was obvious from the get go that I had stunted the hell out of the plants. Very little growth happened. The plants grew one more set of leaves and maybe gained 1.5" in height at most. Everything looked very healthy but growth was at an absolute crawl. Then when I went to check at day 17 things had seriously changed.

It seemed as though the plants suddenly got serious about growing. Almost overnight, there was a surge of leaf growth and several branches started to get going. The height, however, stayed very small - about 3". I then turned the 1k up to 100% for 2 days and then lowered it about 6". The growth continued and the plants were very healthy looking. 6 days after lowering the light, I started the Earth Juice using the "basic" method right off the bottles. I am watering approximately 1/3 gallon per plant every 2-3 days depending on dryness of the soil, and feeding every 3rd watering.

All this started on 8/15 and today is 10/8. The plants are still somewhat short for their age, averaging about 12"-14" tall except for the Cheese which is at 8"-9" but just as dense with foliage. What is really amazing is just how tight the internode spacing is. My best guess is that the widest spacing is on one of the Em-Dog plants at about 5/8" between nodes. Equally amazing is the thickness of the main stalks on all the plants at ground level - easily 3/4"-7/8" in diameter and very woody.

I am about a week from flipping the plants to 12/12 so I have swapped the UltraSun MH for the Hortilux Super HPS for these last days of veg and took 1.5 hours off the light cycle. This is something I have always done prior to flower. I honestly can't tell you why I do, just something I must have picked up from some grower years ago. Who knows?

Once I get the new filter for my camera (to get rid of the yellow from the HPS) I'll post some pictures.

Obviously the real test in all this is what the end result will be. To be honest I'm not sure what to expect from production, or potency. What I'm really interested in, however, is what the root system looks like at harvest. My guess is that the really long stems at transplant really added to the root mass and developing that root structure is what caused such a delay in growth.

If my calculations are right (but they could be off considering the big stunt in veg), I believe I will begin to consider harvest around the 15th - 21st of December.

It is going to be a while before I get my filter so I took some camera phone shots of the grow. Sorry in advance for the poor image quality.

This first one is from the top down on all 4 plants. The two on the left are HSO Em-Dog, back right is Cheese, right front is Amnesia.
all410.jpg

More of a closeup of the Cheese (background) & Amnesia (foreground)
cheeseAmnesia.jpg

Here are the two HSO Em-Dog's
EDs.jpg

This didn't come out very well, but I was trying to show the internode spacing and stem size of the smaller of the two Em-Dogs
internodeED.jpg

OK, this is a bit coincidental with this thread...

Last night a buddy came by with some toys for The Lab. He brought over 3 new in the box 30w T5 UVB lamps/fixtures with the idea that I would hang them vertically zip-tied to 3 out of the 4 corner posts.

This would only add 9% more light wattage, but depending on what you read could give my light spectrum a 17%-30% boost in the UVB light produced from the Super HPS. That said it is my understanding that UVB is blocked by a coating on the glass of the hood the 1k is in so the UVB would be even more pronounced.

I started this "experiment" with a different objective, but I'm not sure that adding the UVB would derail that. Extra UVB (at least theoretically) will only benefit trichome production and not plant growth etc.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I wold love to hear any feedback you all have for this.

Thanks!

B-

<<<also a lurker sort of

I would continue with your original experiment and forego the uvb light during this experiment and incorporate the uvb into your next experiment. Theories are exactly that until tested, and if you haven't tested it or read a reputable journal you trust, then its still just a theory.

I always have two cents but I don't always throw in into the hat.

<<<also a lurker sort of

I would continue with your original experiment and forego the uvb light during this experiment and incorporate the uvb into your next experiment. Theories are exactly that until tested, and if you haven't tested it or read a reputable journal you trust, then its still just a theory.

I always have two cents but I don't always throw in into the hat.

That's what I decided to do. In the end, I think its best to only try one new thing at a time so you can see exactly what the end results are.

B-

OK, I thought I would report in. I know this is a bit of a pseudo grow journal and probably should have been originally started over there - I apologize and will do so in the future.

Pics coming soon.

So far this seems like a bad idea. I'm now into day 17 of bloom. All the plants have been extremely slow growers as compared to previous "standard" grows. Height is stunted, and flowering sites are not as pervasive. Main stems are thicker and it does look like there is more vigorous rooting (I'll know for sure when I chop), but that's it so far. I realize I'm still pretty early in bloom - all these strains are solid 9 weekers for me.

One interesting thing did happen to the Amnesia plant, however. Essentially, the main stalk grew about another inch and then spontaneously "topped" itself. That's the best way I can describe it. I did not top the plant, but the main stem just sent out 5 side branches that came from a central top of the main stem "knuckle." I did tie these branches down to expose some extra budding sites, but its still pretty obvious the plant is malformed and stunted. Might be a mutated phenotype or my rooting test or both I guess I may never be sure.

The Cheese plant is also doing something that I haven't seen this strain do before. The flowers are all very dense and tight and just as lighter green as the main foliage. There are very few to no white pistils from the flowers. I'm pretty sure it did not hermie on me - but not 100% certain.

On a side note, I have decided to run Critical Sensi Star (one of my favorites) next to Barney's Vanilla Kush next. I should be starting the beans in a week or 2 and that WILL be a proper grow journal.

B-

UV light increases THC not tricombs plants genes determine the number of tricombs. Thats why out of a batch of 10 seeds or so you might get 1 or 2 keeper mothers that really have the super bag appeal. But than again you can get a batch of seeds of plants that are almost identical.

UV light increases THC not tricombs plants genes determine the number of tricombs. Thats why out of a batch of 10 seeds or so you might get 1 or 2 keeper mothers that really have the super bag appeal. But than again you can get a batch of seeds of plants that are almost identical.

This is interesting. Everything that I have read has indicated that trichomes are have a secondary responsibility of "sunblock" - for lack of a better term. More sun burning UVB = more trichomes.

I guess I'll have to look more into that.

B-

Ok, thought I'd post an update. Pics to follow.

Essentially, where it stands now, while this idea of mine looked good on paper, the end results are less than adequate. All the plants suffered in one way or another. All of them had stunted growth and poor yields (I'm chopping in about 2 weeks). The Amnesia plant did some crazy mutations - almost like it topped itself.

Once I cop I'll be able to examine the root mass better to see if there were any positive results there, but based on what I see above the soil, I'm not sure I'll find anything groundbreaking there either.

Oh well, no real loss (I still have some great product) and I leaned some more stuff...

My next attempt at messing with things is being detailed in a grow journal this time (just put it up). I'm going to try some new things like UVB, Botanicare KIND nutes, and dropping the smart pots in favor or good old 10 gal plastic. Also gonna try and pouch the hell out of them and see just how much weight I can get in a somewhat compressed timeline.

You can follow the journal here.

B-

Back
Top Bottom